*****THE FIRST-EVER URGENT FURY OPEN MEET*****

Attention all members of Urgent Fury,

Urgent Fury has been around for what we could call a long time now.

We have entertained literally thousands of players since our humble beginning and we keep growing. That's due in large part to your dedication to our tournament format here and your continued attendance here at UrgentFury.com.

That being said, Sniper and I have decided to open up a bit and have an open meeting of UF players for ANYONE who would like to attend. It will be held in the Windy City of Chicago at the end of summer. August 2nd, 2008 to be exact.

Sniper will be coming in for the 5th APC-Gathering that our clan has held and it will be his first time in Chicago. We have approximately 10-14 APCers that will be present (numbers could increase as the weeks go by) and they will be in all weekend long. Sniper and I threw up a thread a little while ago here at UF seeing if players who lived in or around Chicago would like to get together over the summer and there were more than a few bites. Sniper and I talked it over and thought it would be a great opportunity for him not only to meet members of our clan, but also meet as many members of the UF Community as possible.

We are ironing out plans as you read this. There are a few options available, but those options are somewhat dependent on knowing how many we'll have making the trek to Chicago. If there is a large amount, we thought that having it at the "Superdawg" because they, quite honestly, have some of the best hotdogs out there all with the retro kick of its drive-in atmosphere. Across the street we have the Peterson Park Forest Preserves where, if numbers dictate, we can hold something like a friendly UF-softball game of some sort littered with random activities like frisbee, horseshoes and make-out sessions on patch quilt blankets. ;)

The link for Superdawg is here: http://www.superdawg.com/

If the numbers AREN'T going to be that large, then we may settle for having some eats and brews over at Portillo's in downtown Chicago. Boasting two full floors, centrally located in a large area of eats and attractions, it would be a good staging area for the initial meet-n-greet as well as the staging point for wherever we wanted to take the party. Again, a type of retro atmosphere but here you will find the city's #1 spot for Italian Beef....not to mention anyone daring to have the Chocolate Cake Shake (my fave)!

The link for Portillo's is here: http://www.portillos.com/

I will also be working with an old SOCOM acquaintance here in Chicago who owns his own bar and seeing if we can congregate there later in the evening and get some gamer drink specials going on.

If you want to make this a husband/wife, BF/GF thing as well to fill your vacation quota for the year, don't fret about it. Nearly half of the APCers coming in will be bringing in their better halves for the weekend and we're all about making the we have some good, clean fun.

This isn't a UF-sanctioned, sponsored and paid event by any means. This is simply Sniper and I being in Chicago for APC's clan gathering and the two of us extending an invite to players of UF. We'll simply let you know where we're going to be on August 2nd with the appropriate time, and if you're there, you're there!

Of course, there will be TONS of pictures taken and some of the best ones will be posted up here on the UF website as we chronicle the day the UF creators came out of hiding. ;) Some here have expressed interest in meeting us and we would LOVE to meet the players of the UF Community. And, the final bonus, it's going to be fun meeting many of the faces you've come to know here on the forums and battle online.

This thread will be kept open and unlocked so that any questions and conversations can transpire.

There will already be a party going on whether you show or not with APC's dozen+ members coming into town...so if you can make the flight/drive/crawl, you're MORE than welcome to join us! It's Chicago! There's MORE than enough to do once the APC/UF festivities have died down.

Hope to see many of you there so Sniper and I can shake your hand and personally thank you for making UF what it has become and will most certainly become more of in the future.

- TOW

___________________________________________________________________________________________

DEFINITE Attendees for the UF meet on Saturday, August 2nd, 2008-

UF Creator Undertow

UF Creator Sniper

[APC] Tool Minion

[APC] PrimeMeat

[APC] Hush

[APC] 46 and 2

[APC] Merlin

[APC] Macoo

[\H/] IrshZ28

[AoA] Deutscher75

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So who wants to bunker down with me? I'd like to find 1-2-3 or more people to book a hotel room with soon so that I can book a flight ASAP as well.

For those that want to go remember the sooner you commit to booking a hotel and flight the CHEAPER it always is.

So what say ye?

Anybody interested go ahead and post or PM me. I'm not one to bunker down with a woman in the room (unless it's my GF), when drunk I tend to offend the opposite sex unless trying to pick them up (which I won't be doing), so if you're bringing the significant other...well I think you get the point lol

Guest SaTAnS_SoUlJa

Thats awesome....hopefully there will be more though...I have to go train to defend our Country!

damn it.. I REALLY wish i could make this.

Playerdown ]

Been to Chicago twice. Great town. Seemed to be a lot of lesbians and girl on girl action at all the nightclubs......mmmmm.

Yeah, that's very true.

But you know what the GOOD news is about that? They're not doing that to go home with each other. They're doing that to go home with the turned on guys! I can bear witness to that. LOL

I've had a handful of UF members here PM me about where to look for a hotel for their stay.

That type of search can be accomplished on a site like priceline.com or something like that, however, I will give you some information on convenience and such when picking a place out.

For the easiest access to the down town area, it's always in your best interest to just get a hotel right in the heart of downtown Chicago. There's some nice places and then there's some more economically priced places as well. The nice thing about this option is that when you walk out of your front lobby, you're IN the downtown area. This past May, APC's Macoo took this option with his family and stayed at the Westin right off of the Chicago River in the heart of downtown. I'm sure the price is a little more for a place IN the city, but the convenience cannot be beat.

For something that still has some good access to the city but could be better priced, there are a cluster of hotels JUST outside O'Hare Airport. A Holiday Inn and others lie in one cluster. Though these are a few miles outside the city of Chicago, they are RIGHT along the Metra train system. This train, in about 30-35 minutes, takes you right into the heart of downtown Chicago. The train is $2.00 each way. Much cheaper than any cab ride you'll get and you don't have to fuss with traffic. It being the Metra, there's no "pick up times" you need to fuss with. The trains run anywhere from every 8 minutes to every 20 minutes.

For those who think about coming in through Midway Airport, the means to get into the city are a little more scarce, thus, you may be relegated to a pricey cab ride (unless you rent a car...which will be a price all its own).

For anyone DRIVING in, the tip of the day is: the further out of the downtown area you stay, the cheaper it will most likely be. But if you have your own wheels, the little drive might not be a bad thing for you. Also, reserving 2-3 months ahead of time never hurts in the search for some bargains either.

Guest M16Assassin

Anybody who needs a place to stay I will rent out the floor of my room for a couple hundred ;D

But seriously for those of you flying I would say your best bet is to land at O'hare and take the train around town. It'll take you anywhere you want to go and at $2 its a very cheap way to go like Tow said.

I forget sometimes that Portillos is a chicago only thing sucks for those of you missing out. Although its not as big I would highly recommend Ed Debevic's, I'll let tow handle that one. You also might want to check out Superdogs which is on the top 100 places you have to go to before you die. (seriously huge and delicious Hot dogs)

Yeah, I mentioned Superdawg above (if that's the same place you were talking about), though I have LONG regarded Ed Debevic's as kind of the high school homecoming dance hang out. LOL Don't know why. Perhaps it's because everyone back in high school wanted to go there after EVERY friggin' dance. However, what's cool here is that Ed's is only about 2-3 blocks walk away from Portillo's....so you have the option. AND, if it looks too silly for you, HOOTERS is one block down from that.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.................................Hooters............................. ;)

i don't plan on participating, but i'd think if Tow, or somebody called hotels in the area, they could give you discounts and possibly put you on the same floor. IDK just an idea..b/c i know when i took my class down to UPenn for a model Congress conference, we got discounted rooms, were on the same floor, and got passes for free coffee at the WaWa across the street. ;D

RNG187 ]

i don't plan on participating' date=' but i'd think if Tow, or somebody called hotels in the area, they could give you discounts and possibly put you on the same floor. IDK just an idea..b/c i know when i took my class down to UPenn for a model Congress conference, we got discounted rooms, were on the same floor, and got passes for free coffee at the WaWa across the street. ;D

[/quote']

Depends on the hotel's policy. Some wil do it for 10 or more rooms, alot say 25+

Man it all sounds so good.I would really like to see the city since the only part of Chicago Ive seen is O'hare Intl airport on my way to NC twice a year. My work schedule is so crazy right now going out of business mid July, I dont even know what Im doing tommorow. I hate work, I hate life, I love UF............I think I just got a few more gray hairs.

Sniper and I have been talking about this for a few days now and are very pleased to see so many that will be making a little trip to Chicago, no matter how near or far.

We're both excited just to be meeting each other for the first time, considering how many years he and I have been doing this tournament, sharing a clan and talking on the phone nearly every other day on tourney matters. So it's doubly cool that NOW we're going to incorporate that great meeting by including all the players that will come together because of the tournament that ties them all together.

It's going to be a great time.

And don't worry, in regards to that other thread, we're now going to do our BEST to make SURE that there is some UF tees and apparel that can be purchased before the meet for some easy recognition as well as representation. And again, the shirts are COOL! We have three designs and, dammit, I want ALL THREE of them! LOL We made the designs so that they're VERY everyday-wear and not so much clouded in a gamer feel. The logos, the style and the motto are there.....they just appear as some random design tee one could buy at a Target, Hot Topic or other retail store.

More details will emerge when we get a good feel from responses here on who will be showing up.

In FACT.....from now on, I will continue to monitor this post and then on the FIRST post of this thread, I will continually update a LIST I will put down on those saying they will definitely be there. That way, we can see how many are showing up, WHO is showing up and plan from there. Oh, this will be fun. I'm very glad we're finally able to do something of this nature here at UF. SO, when checking on this thread, don't forget to keep going back to page one of this thread and looking at the first post. On the bottom, there will be a continually updated list of those who, FROM NOW ON, are saying they will DEFINITELY ATTEND!

I'll be there, I booked my plane ticket 2 days ago into o'hare, hotel is iffy, I'll probably be staying with some family that lives close to Wrigley somewhere. But I'll be in Chicago! I want a real chicago bagel dog when I get off the plane, can anybody tell where the closest place to go and get one is when I get off the plane? And I'll body slam the first person to tell me Einstein's Bagels. I want REAL hometown bagel dog!

I likes da sounds of dis here meetings. I drive a truck and I probably could easily arrange my happy ass to be there at such time. I would round up [tdH] memorabilia and hand them out. You know , for the dart board and such, clan burnings, or what have you.....LOL.

But.....here is an idea......what if there was a way to keep SNIPER and UNDERTOW from meeting prior to everyones arrival, or close proximity there of. Sure would make for a KODAK moment. Cant freaken believe that all this time those two have yet to meet. I'll tell ya, I'm fortunate, I travel alot and I have met a good number of my clan members. Slept under their roofs. Ate at their tables. Drank their BOOZE (ALOT) ! Puff their herbal goodness (YA, ALOT OF THAT AS WELL)! It is an excelant idea and oppertunity. Thanks for the idea fellas, just may have to take ya up on it. I'll know better as time progresses.

I'm really gonna try to make this. I need to go out and hit up sequoyah, greenz, butter, skunky, and all the other Illinois cBFers anyway. Gotta see what my initial landscaping bids are. If those guys don't hit me with no lube, I think I can swing it.

Hey guys,

I might try and make an appearance as well. This only comes once a year if that, so I'm going to do my damnedest to show up. I have the Hollow Ground Convention in June, but as long I'm not going overseas or anything like that I'll be able to make it. It'll definitely be nice to thank not only the creators of this great tournament, but be nice to shake the hand and drink a beer with the creator of the Hollow Ground Site, which is pretty sick by the way. On a side note, when is everyone going to get there? I was thinking flying in on Friday night and leaving Sunday night. I'd at least like to know where a couple of guys are staying as well, so we can stumble back to our Hotel rooms in a pack. Anyways, take care guys and I'll keep you posted on my presence over there or not.

Hawk

TIP-TOE ]

But.....here is an idea......what if there was a way to keep SNIPER and UNDERTOW from meeting prior to everyones arrival, or close proximity there of. Sure would make for a KODAK moment. Cant freaken believe that all this time those two have yet to meet.

Though that might have been a sentimental, teary-eyed moment, Sniper and I will be taking care of that on our lonesome when I greet him on Thursday that week.

We'll be able to hide our true emotions for each other on Saturday when we meet everyone. ;)