Enough Ced...Benson haha

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Chicago Bears running back Cedric Benson was released Monday following his second alcohol-related arrest in a month.

"Cedric displayed a pattern of behavior we will not tolerate," General Manager Jerry Angelo said in a statement. "As I said this past weekend, you have to protect your job. Everyone in this organization is held accountable for their actions."

The troubled running back did not participate in organized team activities on Monday, and it was unclear whether he showed up at Halas Hall.

Benson's agent Eugene Parker and attorney Sam Bassett did not return messages seeking comment before the announcement that he'd been waived.

The Bears had already made it clear they were losing patience with Benson when they drafted Tulane's Matt Forte in the second round in April. Three ineffective, injury-plagued years during which Benson at times annoyed teammates with blunt comments left management looking for another running back. And that was before the recent brushes with the law.

"When individual priorities overshadow team goals, we suffer the consequences as a team," Angelo said. "Those who fail to understand the importance of 'team' will not play for the Chicago Bears."

Will another team take a chance on picking up Cedric Benson? (AP)

Will another team take a chance on picking up Cedric Benson? (AP)

Benson's rocky relationship with the Bears took a turn for the worse when he was arrested on a drunken driving charge in Austin, Texas, early Saturday after failing a field sobriety test. The former first-round draft pick was released on bond.

The former first-round draft pick was also arrested May 5 and charged with boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest on a lake near Austin. Both cases are pending.

Bassett said Saturday that the former Texas star had a few drinks with dinner but didn't think he was intoxicated, although he acknowledged his client would "probably be in trouble with his team."

Benson was pulled over for running a red light and refused to take a breath test or provide blood samples Saturday, Austin police spokeswoman Veneza Aguinaga said.

Bassett said Benson thought the light was yellow when he went through around 2 a.m. but stopped immediately when police appeared, and he added that Benson told him he wasn't speeding or driving recklessly.

The last thing he needed was more trouble.

A few promising glimpses aside, Benson has not lived up to the hype that accompanied him to the NFL when the Bears took him with the fourth pick in 2005. He has 1,593 yards and 10 touchdowns while averaging 3.8 yards a carry for the Bears after running for more than 5,500 yards and 64 touchdowns at Texas.

Benson also has a June 30 court date for the May arrest while operating a 30-foot boat on Lake Travis - an incident in which authorities used pepper spray to subdue him. No court date had been set for the latest incident as of Monday afternoon.

With Benson gone, Forte has a big opportunity.

"I'm not going to sit here and doubt myself or my talent," Forte said before Benson was released. "I believe that I can come in and play."

Guest M16Assassin

I knew you would throw this up Smoke so I didn't bother. If you ask me good riddance! I knew he would be gone but I didn't think this soon, go Jerry Angelo! As far as playing goes Benson was a joke. Couldn't handle load after Thomas Jones left and frankly I didn't see any effort by him last season. He never seemed enthusiastic to me so screw him. I wanted Will Forte to get the starting job anyways.

We may not have the best team in the league right now but we definitely have the most respectful.

I was done with Cedric Benson when he fumbled on the 50 during the Super Bowl. That was the play that changed the game. The Bears were winning and were driving nicely with the first half coming to an end. They easily could have taken that ball downfield and scored a touchdown which would have let them turn the game over to the defense in the second half. Instead, Benson fumbles on the 50 and the Colts bring it down for a touchdown that swings the momentum for the rest of the game. If Benson doesnt fumble the Bears win that Super Bowl!!!!!!

I hate him

Oh and I also hate Curtis Enis, Rashamm Salamm, and the asshole who decided it was a good idea to trade Thomas Jones

Prane ]

I knew you would throw this up Smoke so I didn't bother. If you ask me good riddance! I knew he would be gone but I didn't think this soon, go Jerry Angelo! As far as playing goes Benson was a joke. Couldn't handle load after Thomas Jones left and frankly I didn't see any effort by him last season. He never seemed enthusiastic to me so screw him. I wanted Will Forte to get the starting job anyways.

We may not have the best team in the league right now but we definitely have the most respectful.

Well said. I really wanted to see Forte surpass Benson as the starter as well. I never like the selection of Benson and this was like a dream come true when I heard about it. Gives us some more money to work with and better 1-2 tandem at RB. I can't wait to see Garrett Wolfe get some real playing time. I still disagree with parting ways with Thomas Jones, but we have some real young talent at RB.

Prane ]

I'm a true blue (and orange) Bears fan.....but I don't know if we have the most "respectful" team out there.

There's been PLENTY written, especially by Chicago writers, about the Bears' seemingly bountiful tolerance of bad behavior in our players. It just depends on the player and his output which dictates his punishment by the Bears.....which is not a role model for ANY type of penal system.

Lance Briggs.....probably intoxicated, crashed his exotic car in the expressway, abandoned it and then came up with some bullshit stories to cover it up. Community service........that he's been BALKING on.

Tank Johnson.....pretty much holding a third world country's military arms in his house with kids running around and drugs laying about.....and they gave him a second chance. That second chance resulted in him involved in an altercation where his friend dies.

Ced Benson.....dumbass gets caught drinking on a boat (of which the "witnesses" who stated he was otherwise I believe were just his friends about the lake) and THEN weeks later decides to tempt fate and go drinking in the same state AGAIN before driving. And I'm sorry....but his "one or two drinks only?" If you're as BIG as he is, "one or two" will not cause you to drive in a way that gets you pulled over by the police.

I mean, it's GREAT that the Bears believe in "second chances" and all.....but you know what I'd like to see? Accountability. I'd like to see focus. I'd like to see these stupid college kids who walk out of the graduation hall and into a lucrative $20+ million dollar deal to start ACTING like they should be paid that much. Whether they like it or not, they're EMULATED in the city in which they play. By adults, by children, by the adolescents who compete harder to get a chance just like these guys did. To some, these guys are larger than life SUPER HEROES on the football field, and all they have to do is prepare to play FOUR HOURS on a Sunday.....I'd like to see players APPRECIATE that money and attention and idealization....and I'd like to see owners and football clubs start to appreciate good character BEFORE they appreciate talent above all.

I'd like to sit down on a Sunday afternoon and watch some GOOD MEN play football, not some gun-totin', car-crash-causin', dumbass drunks out on the field running around after a football for a couple hundred thousand dollars a week.

I have some respect for the Bears in taking action with Benson here. I didn't think they would, simply because of the money paid to this guy. But I don't think they're the most "respectable" in the league. Hell, they're still trying to get to the "respected" level. They're getting there....they should just follow the NY Giants' format and run their recruits through extensive PSYCH evaluations before thinking about drafting them. That would circumvent a lot of the needless bullshit we keep reading about in the papers when I'd MUCH rather read about progress players and rookies are making during OTAs and Training Camp.

Undertow ]
Prane ]

I'm a true blue (and orange) Bears fan.....but I don't know if we have the most "respectful" team out there.

There's been PLENTY written, especially by Chicago writers, about the Bears' seemingly bountiful tolerance of bad behavior in our players. It just depends on the player and his output which dictates his punishment by the Bears.....which is not a role model for ANY type of penal system.

Lance Briggs.....probably intoxicated, crashed his exotic car in the expressway, abandoned it and then came up with some bullshit stories to cover it up. Community service........that he's been BALKING on.

Tank Johnson.....pretty much holding a third world country's military arms in his house with kids running around and drugs laying about.....and they gave him a second chance. That second chance resulted in him involved in an altercation where his friend dies.

Ced Benson.....dumbass gets caught drinking on a boat (of which the "witnesses" who stated he was otherwise I believe were just his friends about the lake) and THEN weeks later decides to tempt fate and go drinking in the same state AGAIN before driving. And I'm sorry....but his "one or two drinks only?" If you're as BIG as he is, "one or two" will not cause you to drive in a way that gets you pulled over by the police.

I mean, it's GREAT that the Bears believe in "second chances" and all.....but you know what I'd like to see? Accountability. I'd like to see focus. I'd like to see these stupid college kids who walk out of the graduation hall and into a lucrative $20+ million dollar deal to start ACTING like they should be paid that much. Whether they like it or not, they're EMULATED in the city in which they play. By adults, by children, by the adolescents who compete harder to get a chance just like these guys did. To some, these guys are larger than life SUPER HEROES on the football field, and all they have to do is prepare to play FOUR HOURS on a Sunday.....I'd like to see players APPRECIATE that money and attention and idealization....and I'd like to see owners and football clubs start to appreciate good character BEFORE they appreciate talent above all.

I'd like to sit down on a Sunday afternoon and watch some GOOD MEN play football, not some gun-totin', car-crash-causin', dumbass drunks out on the field running around after a football for a couple hundred thousand dollars a week.

I have some respect for the Bears in taking action with Benson here. I didn't think they would, simply because of the money paid to this guy. But I don't think they're the most "respectable" in the league. Hell, they're still trying to get to the "respected" level. They're getting there....they should just follow the NY Giants' format and run their recruits through extensive PSYCH evaluations before thinking about drafting them. That would circumvent a lot of the needless bullshit we keep reading about in the papers when I'd MUCH rather read about progress players and rookies are making during OTAs and Training Camp.

Agreed, well said

Guest Corruptor310

Accountability --- Tank "Criminal" Johnson = gone

Cedric "Drunktard" Benson = gone

How is that not accountability, these two guys def got what they had coming to them and I praise the management for standing up and saying "enough is enough"

Ditto to the all the folks that think losing Thomas Jones was a bad freaking deal.

Ditto to all the folks that talked about how Benson was worthless. My wtf moment in regards to Benson, last year he had his longest run of his career --- 30 freaking yards............ 3rd year in the league I do believe, 30 yards. Majorily Majorily Disappointing.

Lance Briggs......... may soon follow. Hell who knows.

Speed Kills = Garret Wolf, come on baby show em what it is about!!!!! This tiny little fucker has the heart of a fucking grizzly, freaking 5'7 186 ---- Ran with more heart than I ever seen Benson try to

good fucking bye Benson

GO BEARS

Guest Corruptor310
boody ]

they are still predicting 6 wins or less this upcoming season :P

I wont care if they get only 2 wins this year.

GO BEARS!

Guest Corruptor310
J-Rite187 ]

ny giants? YAY GIANTS! lol, speaking of GOOD MEN TO WATCH, strahan retired...:'(

dont you mean Micheal Strahan -- future Hall of Famer??

J-Rite187 ]

philly? there's a true fan. dont be mad cuz your eagles didnt do anything, your only good wide reciever left you, your qb is old and crippled, and your running back is bitching for more money like daddy's little girl.

You just described every NFL team.. and I'm going to preach what ever coach does DEFENSE wins games! I think all Chic. Bears fans in this thread can voutch for that with there last superbowl trip!

eli manning, ben roesthlisberger, tom brady, peyton manning, philip rivers, derek anderson, drew brees, carson palmer, tony romo, to name a few who arent old a crippled, could go on.

im not even going to start w/the running backs, there's too many.

yeah, the bears defense is amazing.

J-Rite187 ]

philly? there's a true fan. dont be mad cuz your eagles didnt do anything, your only good wide reciever left you, your qb is old and crippled, and your running back is bitching for more money like daddy's little girl.

I'm not Philly fan but I expect a playoff birth with all the players they got and they got Deshon Foster from Cal he's hella good, their D looks good too.

Deutscher75 ]

Here's my question, now that they've waived him, if a team were to pick him up do they have to commit to his contract as well or is the team that picks him up able to write a new contract of their own with him?

I think they will have to write a new one cuz anywhere he goes he's a backup to many good RBs out there. Thats if anyone wants him.

Guest M16Assassin
Neo_Unit001 ]
Deutscher75 ]

Here's my question, now that they've waived him, if a team were to pick him up do they have to commit to his contract as well or is the team that picks him up able to write a new contract of their own with him?

I think they will have to write a new one cuz anywhere he goes he's a backup to many good RBs out there. Thats if anyone wants him.

No I believe you are incorrect. The team who picks him up will have to pay whatever money he was guaranteed in his contract. The Bears still have to pay him his signing bonus. I honestly don't think he has much a chance to play anywhere this year. The only team I could see even wanting him is the Lions because they have a weak running game and just dumped off Kevin Jones, who ironically enough will be working out with the Bears at the end of the month. He would be a solid pickup if you ask me. He didn't make much noise in Detroit because they had a very weak Offensive line and they are a pass first team. Jon Kitna, Roy Williams, Calvin Johnson and Mike Furrey.