Possible FURTHER Price Cut for PS3

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10451339

Sony likely to cut PS3 price further: developer

10:09AM Friday July 13, 2007

Japanese game giant Capcom believes Sony will further reduce the price of the PlayStation 3 console.

Japanese game giant Capcom believes Sony will further reduce the price of the PlayStation 3 console.

SANTA MONICA - Sony Corp. is likely to cut its PlayStation 3 price again by year-end following this week's $100 cut, a senior executive at Japanese game software maker Capcom Co. Ltd. said.

"The number of PS2 users is still growing and a shift to the PS3 is on the back burner," Capcom Chief Financial Officer Kazuhiko Abe told Reuters in an interview.

"But, the price has been cut once and it is likely to be cut again towards the end of the year. I expect the (PS3's) installed base to grow gradually."

Sony on Monday cut the price of the PS3 to $500 ($NZ645) in the United States in a move to breathe life into sluggish demand.

Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 and Nintendo Co. Ltd.'s Wii have outsold the PS3 by several times in the crucial U.S. market, leaving Sony, which has dominated the game industry over the past decade, in the unfamiliar position of playing catch up.

The new price, however, is still $20 more than the most expensive version of the Xbox 360 and twice as much as that of the Wii.

Abe, visiting Santa Monica for the E3 video game exposition, also said sales of its action horror title "Resident Evil 4" for the Wii will likely exceed its target of 420,000 units for the current business year to March 2008.

"It is doing better than expected in Japan and the United States, and performing fairly well in Europe," Abe said. "Sales are bound to exceed 420,000 units."

Osaka-based Capcom is known for such major titles as "Lost Planet" shooting game and "Devil May Cry" action adventure

Per [sHO] -Dad- on the SHO Forums:

Check out *this* article...

Sony: Price reduction of PS3 in the U.S. only temporary

Consumer Electronics

By Wolfgang Gruener

Friday, July 13, 2007 10:10

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32894/97/

Recommend article:Los Angeles (CA) – If you plan on purchasing a $500 PS3, get it while it is available.

The recently announced $100 price reduction of the 60 GB PS3 was widely interpreted as a strategic move to bring the price of the game console closer to Xbox 360. It turns out, Sony does not have a long-term price reduction in mind.

In an interview with Gamesindustry.biz, David Reeves, president of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, said that the price reduction is part of a move to phase out the 60 GB model and transition to a recently announced version with 80 GB storage space. During the Sony keynote at E3 this Wednesday, Phil Harrison, president of Sony Computer Entertainment’s Worldwide Studios, noted that the 80 GB model was introduced to provide more room for downloadable games.

According to Reeves, Sony believes that the 60 GB PS3 will be sold out by the end of this month. Beginning August 1, Sony will only be offering a $599 80 GB model, which however will include the game Motorstorm.

Harrison said there are currently more than 80 game titles in development, which Sony plans to make available for download through the Playstation store. The upcoming titles include Wipeout HD, Echo Chrome, Warhawk and Socom Navy Seals: Confrontation.

The price reduction remains very limited in a geographic perspective. In Europe, for example, Sony holds back the PS3 80 GB and introduced a new game package. For the same 599 Euro (about $825), Sony will be offering a “PS3 Starter Pack†with two wireless Sixaxis controllers as well as the games Resistance Fall of Man and Motorstorm.

Supposedly an SCEA official has verified that Sony has ample supplies of both models in the U.S. to "meet the needs of consumers for the forseeable future."

Hopefully that means the 60GB will still be available at a low price for those of us like me saving up money for this thing..

Guest ViciousIce

According to Reeves, Sony believes that the 60 GB PS3 will be sold out by the end of this month.

so... what happens if it's not sold out by the end of this month? more price reductions sooner?? plz say yes? lol

Red0ctobeR ]

Yes thank you smoke. I was wondering if I was gonna find a fellow player here that doesn't use rumble...*whispers*(They are everywhere)*whispers*

I don't use rumble, I haven't used it since Feb. The only thing is when I am using a silenced F90 and everyone is shooting their loud weapons at one time and I can't tell If I am shooting or not.. Lol..