Not exactly politics, or maybe it is...

So, just curious....is all censorship bad?

Should people have free reign to be outspoken and speak true on their feelings?

SHould people be subjected to being curtailed when voicing out?

Are there situations where censorship is acceptable?

"Talk amongst yourselves." -Mike Myers

Well, it most certainly depends on the situation.

When it comes to censorship and this forum though, I was under the impression that those in charge have said on multiple occasions that they "don't believe in deleting or editing posts". I think the most recent case when that exact (or close to it) quote was stated, was when Dv8 was editing people's posts.

Bottom line is, it's Tows website and he has the control to do what he wants.

I'm fine with it.

forum wise, i believe it depends on the situation.

in everyday life, i think it all depends on personal limits and tolerances. like, in europe nudity and 'underage' drinking aren't big deals b/c it's part of the culture and the people are raised with them and are taught to respect both and use both moderately. compared to america where drinking isnt appropriate until you're 21, and nudity isn't appropriate on regular tv or for those under certain ages.

idk, just my opinion.

If this poll in some way was supposed to reflect upon the recent deleting of a thread, so be it. Everyone needs something to occupy their time.

Point is, we have a very strict rule here on THIS forum regarding Urgent Fury posts and posts about/pertaining to other tourney sites. Simply put, when Urgent Fury was a young little toddler, even then, we did not whisper the UF name on other tournament sites (cuz, well...there WEREN'T a lot of them) or anything like that. We started from the ground up. We started in the dust and through the years of hard work, dedication on both the part of the creative team here as well as the clans that come to it, we made our own little sand castle here. But we did it on our own.

We keep to this practice up to this very day.

We don't spam (either blatantly or covertly) other tournament forums with news of our tourney and we don't use the PM systems of other tourney sites to advertise our tournament. Sniper and I do not even have accounts at these various other entities. Simply put, we're too busy and focused HERE to care too much about what goes on out THERE.

But just recently we have KingJunk posting up some Davinci-Code-Crap about embedded letters signifying Chaos Tactics in his post. We have Havoc putting up some pity party post about him leaving which invariably links to WHY he's leaving which invariably links to his newfound glory at his new post at Chaos Tactics as part-owner or however they're doing things there. Pity party as in, I did NOT say nor give him the impression that he was unwanted here at UF. What I DID say was nothing short of advice from one guy who has been running a tourney for a very long time to another guy who wants so badly to start...and that is, FOCUS ON WHAT YOU ARE DOING SO THAT THE PRODUCT YOU'RE CREATING IS -WORTH- SOMETHING. It was advice for his own success, not so that we can finally be rid of someone or his clan. HE chose to put up some bullshit about the McDonald's/Burger King comment as if that were some slap in the face I gave to him or something whereas I was simply comparing two entities....both making the same damn thing and offering it to the public, but you don't see McDonald's managers poking around behind the counter at a Burger King or vice versa. He decided to put some negative slant on it as he typed it so that we looked horrible for elbowing him out of UF....which we HAD NOT.

The advice I was giving him was for HIS benefit, as I, Sniper and UF don't benefit or lose ANYTHING with him coming or going to wherever his desires are taking him. I told him that he SHOULD be playing in his own tourney instead of creating one there and playing here. Why? As I told him, like any good chef, when you cook something up, you stick the spoon in and take a sip to make sure what you're serving up to everyone passes your own standards. I don't get to play in every match of these tournaments, but I try to play in a few because that, along with feedback from the community, is how we keep our tourneys here fresh and functioning. Again, ADVICE for the guy that likes taking the pity train out of town instead of just holding his head up and getting to business on his new venture.

So we ask about censorship?

Censorship, plain and simple, is at the mercy of the establishment. ANY establishment.

Every house has rules.

Your neighbor asks you to take your shoes off before you walk on the carpet.

Church asks you not to swear in the house of God.

Great America asks that you line up single file for a ride instead of pushing and shoving.

You're not allowed to openly threaten the President of the United States of America.

When the plane is landing you are to stow your tray tables and fasten your frickin' seat belts.

And here at Urgent Fury, we simply ASK that references to other tourneys not be made here in our house.

It's not that we're trying to CENSOR your mind from knowing that other tourneys are out there.

For chrissakes go FIND them! You have CT....BoH....some messy Dv8 tourney......hell, GAMEBATTLES. They're out there and we INVITE you to go check them out. We're not here saying that they don't exist and we're not hoping you don't KNOW about them. CHECK THEM OUT. Every informed consumer shops around. We're not afraid of what you will find. Some will like it there better than UF, some will find that UF has everything they need in a tourney. So go ahead....we'll be here if you decide to come back.

But what we ask this for is that we do not do their advertising FOR them.

Urgent Fury doesn't advertise on their forums, so we don't need them advertising on ours.

We work hard to get the word out in our own ways, and MOST of those ways have to do with game-to-game contacts while playing online. We let our product speak for itself and not try to lure clans that are already happy somewhere else to come take a look at UF. We don't do that, we don't WANT to do that. It's not even a politically correct thing we're forcing ourselves to do. We simply just don't DO it.

I have one hell of a dirty mouth on me where about every 5th word out of my mouth at a bar is a curse word. Censorship would KILL me. LOL However, I know WHEN I can say things, HOW to say them and to whom I can say them. I do this out of respect and politeness. I know my surroundings and I respect the rules of the house. It wouldn't hurt so much to have others do the same from time to time. I do not like censorship, but I recognize its importance in the world. Anyone who says "fuck censorship" on every level, facet and situation in life is simply ignorant.

My two cents on the matter of censorship, the Havoc and *S* situation and anything else this was potentially alluding to.

And for the record, I voted for "depends on the situation."

wow, way to read more into the poll than was intended. I guess such is the climate here. Censorship is a big issue for me, right up there with the patriot act, etc etc...anything that restricts freedom of anything, almost. I'm speaking broadly because I dont want to get into it myself. I just noticed when I took took that "who you should vote for" test that it wasn't an issue on there..and decided to see what ya'll thought about it.

Guest H.A.V.0.C

Okay Tow, if I miss understood our conversation, then I apologise. And just a FYI... I was not leaving in pity, nor was I trying to leave some subliminal message, as you may think. I was saying good bye in sadness, I mean shit man, I have been here for years now, With you! and Sniper...but you read into totally diffrent then the way it was meant to be. But since you say, that your intention was not to drive me/*S* out of UF, then I am sorry for the misunderstanding and we will stay here. (I'm interested to see if we get a invitation to the tac map though?) Any one taking bets?

So anyway.

My specifics that I didn't go into before may serve to get back to topic. I love the freedom to exercise my patriotism and agree or disagree with the government, laws, pretty much anything I want to. I wouldn't want those rights curbed. At the same time, I think that certain things pertaining to national security SHOULD be kept close to the chest. Our media reports such nonsense, though, that anyone trying to find out about what our military leaders are doing has to wade through hours of Paris Hilton updates. So I'm all for that. Let Osama read about Hilton taking a shit the size of her stupid tiny dog..and then find the misinformation that the government feeds to the media. Good stuff there.

As far as war time casualties, I think the true numbers should be reported and not glossed over. Those are just quick examples.

Basically to me, censorship that doesn't fall in the categories of security and other areas like that, is bad.

When figureheads censor the people that support them, it usually denotes a weakness of some kind, or maybe a paranoia about self image, being overthrown, or losing that support. I think any government or corporate head should maintain an open forum for people to express themselves to the full extent, allow for criticism, allow for competition. In our type of society, that only drives those that wish to be successful to work harder and produce better results that appeal to more and more people. While you can't please everyone, as the saying goes, you can certainly strive to make enemies friends and unite the population. Hell, sometimes people just need to vent and be shown that someone is listening and value their opinion. Otherwise, say hello Cuba...ya might as well live there lol

Guest H.A.V.0.C
Undertow ]
H.A.V.0.C ]

(I'm interested to see if we get a invitation to the tac map though?) Any one taking bets?

You just got on my last nerve.

Oh Tow, don't get upset now, I was only joking. Jeez

So do you believe the media are only reporting the "misinformation" they are given by the government and not adding their own political spin to it?

Every media outlet in the world is just as political in their views and their stories as an individual citizen is. Turn on your local news, watch the way the news stories are pieced together and listen to the words and emphasis used during the story, then change to another local channel, watch their news and see if you get the exact same story.

Why do you think such big deals are made about papers like the New York Times backing candidates?

Pathogen- ]

So anyway.

My specifics that I didn't go into before may serve to get back to topic.

Perhaps you should have posted this when you started the poll, since now you want to have a topic of discussion? :-\

IMO

I think there a distinct few that just like stirring the pot on everything that happens on the UF forums and are at the root of 98% of all the drama threads, and I think there postings should be censored. JMO

hmm, good question. i definitely think that you really need to dissect the media. Get your news from many sources, and pay attention to trends in what is said, and what actually happens. I know that the government feeds misinformation, and I agree with you that the media adds their OWN spin on top of that. Take the BBC for example. I generally boycott them because they typically favor the palestinian view point in the middle east. It is a shame that you can't, as a reporter, disassociate yourself....but we're all human.

I guess it is like anything in life....you get one view point hammered down your throat, pretty soon you'll be regurgitating the rhetoric as well

MaCoo_ ]

Perhaps you should have posted this when you started the poll, since now you want to have a topic of discussion? :-\

IMO

I think there a distinct few that just like stirring the pot on everything that happens on the UF forums and are at the root of 98% of all the drama threads, and I think there postings should be censored. JMO

Not really. My goal wasn't for me to get on a soap box and expound my ideas. I wanted to get a general feel what the community thought about the subject, and engage in open and friendly dialogue. But I guess there are just those that assume incorrectly. And you know what they say about them! ;) Just messin' with ya man, but stay on subject w/out the pot shots, please. Its just not worth it

Pathogen- ]

hmm, good question. i definitely think that you really need to dissect the media. Get your news from many sources, and pay attention to trends in what is said, and what actually happens. I know that the government feeds misinformation, and I agree with you that the media adds their OWN spin on top of that. Take the BBC for example. I generally boycott them because they typically favor the palestinian view point in the middle east. It is a shame that you can't, as a reporter, disassociate yourself....but we're all human.

I guess it is like anything in life....you get one view point hammered down your throat, pretty soon you'll be regurgitating the rhetoric as well

Especially if your only access to media is in an area that's predominately Republican or predominately Democrat. It's every citizens duty to be informed the best they can.

Yet folks like myself LIVE in the bible belt and think that a almighty being that magically gives life is the epitome of sheep mentality. ::)

I don't think demographics play as big a role nowadays as lets say 50 years ago. Not saying that local papers or news stations AREN'T biased, but I get most of my info from the net anyhow. So do most of you I'm sure, so how can we blame demographics for poor judgment? (I define poor judgment as anyone who has available all the means to make an educated decision, but still chooses not to utilize them BTW.)

As to the topic of censorship. Well it's pretty easy to sit and say that censorship is the root of all evil. It's easy to say that we are better off having all the facts laid out in bullet point for us to take in, then make our own minds up. But censorship rarely has anything to do with FACTS. More often than not it is usually a situation where one party has one view, another party has another, and the lesser of the two evil's win out.

Is this bad? No not really. Bad is when children are murdered. Bad is when we aren't allowed to sit where we want on a bus, or attend a certain school because the color of our skin. Bad is when we are FORCED to do something. Not allowing a platform for someone isnt bad, it's just a simple matter of choice. That same message may be heard elswhere, just not in THAT place.

Take Walmart. They won't sell explicit lyric CD's. Is that bad? No, they make a choice as to what they feel their target audience wants, and they impliment it. You can still GET that CD, just not at that particular place. So what? Go where you know it will be available, don't DEMAND that WalMart change their policy.

Tool_Minion ]

(I define poor judgment as anyone who has available all the means to make an educated decision, but still chooses not to utilize them BTW.)

I totally agree with this statement. And also with your sentiment that my example is a bit archaic. But the demographics still play a part. You do still get large population groups that rely one one source of info for whatever reason...language barrier, dedication to religion and seeing their pulpits as the be all end all gospel, no time to devote to individual research, apathy..etc etc... You name it, its there.

Pathogen- ]

It is a shame that you can't, as a reporter, disassociate yourself....but we're all human.

I think that particular bit is more about who signs the paychecks. IMO, 98% of reporters will report the way their bosses tell them. It is a shame, and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Nice thread. Started off a little shaky, but there is some great food for thought in here. :)

Pathogen- ]
Tool_Minion ]

(I define poor judgment as anyone who has available all the means to make an educated decision, but still chooses not to utilize them BTW.)

I totally agree with this statement. And also with your sentiment that my example is a bit archaic. But the demographics still play a part. You do still get large population groups that rely one one source of info for whatever reason...language barrier, dedication to religion and seeing their pulpits as the be all end all gospel, no time to devote to individual research, apathy..etc etc... You name it, its there.

I agree with all that too. I know the internet is starting to dominate the information chain, but there are still quite a few communities that distrust the interweb in general and get their news from local spinsters.