I purchased the new Metallica album and downloaded to my I-Pod last night. Listened to it quite a bit today, and here are my thoughts.

There are so really good riffs in there, that take me back to the And Justice For All days, but it is not as good as I expected it to be. You have to understand, I am one of the BIGGEST Metallica fans out there. I own every album, can sing every song by heart.

I was under the impression they were getting back to their roots on this album. Not hardely.

Its fun to listen too, but not old school.

_SEQUOYAH ]

I was under the impression they were getting back to their roots on this album. Not hardely.

Its fun to listen too, but not old school.

Been listening to it for a week now, so I feel comfortable giving an assessment.

I think, Seq, that you should be GLAD it's not "old school." Because then you would get a ton of internet-philes that would say "well, they said they'd get back to their roots, but hell, they sound EXACTLY like they did 20 years ago." And really, who WANTS that?

Reinventing one's self is not easy. Reinventing one's self AND showing homage to your roots is almost an impossible animal.

These guys are the brave ones. They could keep putting out the same damn album year after year like AC/DC or Nickelback, but Metallica have been doing pretty good for themselves AND their fans. God....how boring AND possibly unpopular would these guys be if they NEVER changed their sound after, say, the "Justice" album? These last 15-20 years.....Justice, Justice, Justice.

I was happy to hear their change on the Black album.

Wasn't CRAZY about the Anger album, but there were some gems there, and you had to admire their ability TO reach out for something new, instead of being so afraid of trying something new that they put out something that sounded like their last 3 or 4 albums like so many other bands of today.

This one.....I do believe they HAVE gone back to their roots. No, it's not thrash by any means, but some of their original ferociousness is there with enough of a "today's sound" to still remain current and RELEVANT.

Time's are a-changin'.

These boys SHOULDN'T be stuck in some time warp that they can't get out of or, worse, are too AFRAID to get out of.

I think this new album has JUST the right amount of "then" with a good amount of "now," giving it a great feel altogether.

I think putting out another Justice or Lightning album today would be costly. Plainly put, no one would give a shit.

But being able to push the envelope in yet ANOTHER direction shows why they have resilience in this music market place. They'll retain their old fans....they'll make some new ones.

It's how they'll survive, and I think they're doing a good job of it.

I like the new album.