Any guitar players in here?

Guest SuddenRedScare

Guest SuddenRedScare

I'm considering picking up this hobby to burn some free time. I'm pretty passionate about music and would really like to learn the guitar. Any tips as to what to start out with, mistakes not to make? Any input would be appreciated.

Um.. learn finger styles (don't always count on strumming using only your thumb). Thumb on the back of the neck helps A LOT. Once you become more advanced you can break that rule. Curve your fingers over the frets or else you'll unintentionally prevent the strings from vibrating.

Learn your scales on the guitar.. it'll help when trying to improvise.

Your wrist will hurt at first.. you just have to cope with the pain and stretch your fingers and wrist

Been playing guitar for the past 18 years.

When I started, my mother was paying for lessons.

That was before the internet sprang about.

There are PLENTY of YouTube videos I'm sure you could hunt down with instructionals on there. I would suggest picking one person that might offer some type of succession-type tutorials...someone that follows a progressive pattern from basics to fundamentals.

Hell, if you want to spend the money, Best Buy sells a computer program that's pretty comprehensive.

In the way of a guitar, I would suggest buying an old used one, to make SURE that after a month or so of playing, you STILL want to play. And stick with it. When you get better, when you spend a lot of time on it, then invest in a better guitar. One that suits your taste AND needs.

That would be my advice.

And hope you have fun!

I agree with Tow on the one month thing. I would recommend staying away from any of the combo packages you'll see at Guitar Center as they break extremely easy, they are cheap for a reason. Go to a shop buy the crappiest guitar you can find with the highest action(space between string and fretboard). When I first started playing I had that crappy combo package and everything broke real quick. But that Bass guitar was shitty and now I'm thankful for it. Because I learned to play on such a horrible piece of equipment now I can tear up my quality ones very well. Stick with one teacher or one style at first. Learn theory as soon and as much as possible, that includes learning your notes and how to read sheet music. Practice as much as possible and learn the simplest things you can think of. I was proud when I learned Mary Had a little lamb for gods sake. You won't be playing Metallica for a long time. My BIGGEST piece of advice is have PATIENCE

P.S. playing music isn't a hobby for most of us. It is a way of life.

sharkbait2 ]

honestly' date=' this might sound like a crazy idea, but when i was first learning to play guitar.... i played guitar hero and that helped with my finger placement and using my pinky. what style of music are you looking to play?

[/quote']

Do not waste your time trying to use guitar hero to learn finger placements. Those plastic piles of crap don't accurately place the distance between the first 5 frets nor do they teach you how much pressure you need to apply to get the proper sound.

As a musician of 20+ years on the guitar I can safely tell you guitar hero will NOT help you. LOL I'm sorry, but most musicians I talk to, don't even get that game. I'd rather pick up my guitar and actually play. LMAO! It's like that fishing game they did years ago. Some games just don't work. I'd rather pick up my fishing pole and go fishing! LOL But that's just me. All the suggestions are good and the same ones I would have made. If you need anymore help we can chat in game sometime SundenRadScare, although being a libertarian it might cost you more. ;)

I'm simply saying that if you play the game, you get the hang of using your pinky and get the feeling of sliding your hand back and forth across the 5 buttons. I know the guitar hero guitar won't let you get the feel of a regular guitar and they way you press the frets, but if you've played the game and you're good at it, and then start playing a regular guitar, you'll get the hang of it quicker.

sharkbait2 ]

honestly' date=' this might sound like a crazy idea, but when i was first learning to play guitar.... i played guitar hero and that helped with my finger placement and using my pinky. what style of music are you looking to play?

[/quote']

Do not waste your time trying to use guitar hero to learn finger placements. Those plastic piles of crap don't accurately place the distance between the first 5 frets nor do they teach you how much pressure you need to apply to get the proper sound.

I beg to differ on the guitar hero thing there prane. I have been playing for about 8 years now and I had to leave the country for about a month and I came back and was playing a bunch of guitar hero cause the guitar just didnt feel right at the time, so later after about a week and a half or so I picked up my razorback and I was like wow that guitar hero shit really helped who would have know. Also my brother in law plays that shit all the time and he couldnt use his pinky finger on a real guitar for the longest time cause it is a little messed up but after playing guitar hero for 3+ months he could. But then the hard part came of getting his fingers used to putting them on the strings.

But when it gets down to it its really all a matter of what you prefer yourself one persons way might not be your way but you might be able to find a little bit of everything you are looking for in each style you learn or with each different guitarist you talk to or see play.

First song I learned on the guitar was And Justice for all, took me about a month just to get the intro but I was so happy when I did. Made that hard work pay off. I would suggest picking up one of the Dean special edition guitar combo packs. I know earlier in this thread someone said these things are crap but I also found myself quite suprised when I picked up the Dimebag Mini ML guitar pack. I got the guitar a strap an amp picks a poster a hat and a couple other things for 300 bucks they have more than just dimebag ones.

well that is my two cents.

check out their website,

http://www.deanguitars.com/home.php

I swear that link is ligit no rick roll bullshit.. Dean makes a great product for a really good price.

Been playing since 1980... I would suggest you learn as many open and alternate tunings you can...Keeps playing from getting stale... If you want a great quality low end guitar, look for an Epiphone LP standard or G400, Schecter, Ibanez, and LTD make very high quality low price axe's. I am a Gibson man myself. But do own a couple of Epi LP customs wich are VERY SWEET.