Worst Feeling EVER!

I'm with you Philly! I just had all 4 removed about 4 weeks ago. It was EXCRUTIATING! Don't believe anyone who tells you it is no big deal. The are lying to you! Oh and dry socket bites big time. STILL have some major sensitivity and hoping this crap heals soon, cause I am a big baby and I do not like pain.

And then last week, my jaw bone started hurting and has for the last week. Well, this morning, I woke up to a swollen cheek. Called the oral surgeon and they think I have a subperi-something-or-other infection. Heading back in this afternoon to have it looked at.

I'll pray for you if you pray for me! ;)

HippieChik ]

I'm with you Philly! I just had all 4 removed about 4 weeks ago. It was EXCRUTIATING! Don't believe anyone who tells you it is no big deal. The are lying to you! Oh and dry socket bites big time. STILL have some major sensitivity and hoping this crap heals soon, cause I am a big baby and I do not like pain.

And then last week, my jaw bone started hurting and has for the last week. Well, this morning, I woke up to a swollen cheek. Called the oral surgeon and they think I have a subperi-something-or-other infection. Heading back in this afternoon to have it looked at.

I'll pray for you if you pray for me! ;)

OMG! I got that infection when I had mine done a few years back. I know what you are going through Hippie. My infection got so bad they had to sew a drain tube into the inside of my cheek that drained pus and infection all day. Two weeks I had to have that pain and taste in my mouth. I really, really hope yours doesn't get that bad.

Philly, rinse with the salt water like they told you, and don't suck on anything. Straws, cigarette's, pipes, etc... Make especially sure you are rinsing out after everytime you eat anything. Good luck to both of you.

BigMoneyNacku ]

OMG! I got that infection when I had mine done a few years back. I know what you are going through Hippie. My infection got so bad they had to sew a drain tube into the inside of my cheek that drained pus and infection all day. Two weeks I had to have that pain and taste in my mouth. I really, really hope yours doesn't get that bad.

OK, I AM OFFICIALLY FREAKED OUT! :'( How long did you let it go before getting it taken care of? This has been happening for a week now, so I'm hoping I am catching it in time??? If they have to sew something into my mouth, I am NOT going to be ok with that! I'll know in just a little while how bad. I am hoping a little antibiotics and I will be good to go. Keeping my fingers crossed ...

Sharkbait2 ]
PHILLYFAN ]

Last few weeks I thought I was in the worst pain ever due to my wisdom teeth. However having them pulled and letting the meds fade away is the worst feeling ever!!

you apparently have never gotten your junk caught in your zipper ;)

is not as bad as the wisdoms.

i had them surgically removed, best thing about it was the meds, the painkillers and during the surgery the laughing gas.

what actually hurst is not much the cut or the actual pull of the teeth, what hurts is the shot of anesthesia they gave you.

Sooo, back from the surgeon's office and he said they see this swelling sometimes about 3-4 weeks out from surgery. He said a piece of bone or something like that is in there and it's like when you get a splinter, your body tries to get rid of it and it festers up. He gave me some antibiotics and pain meds, told me to massage the area and it should come out on it's own. If not, he'll have to cut it open and drain it. He told me to come back if it got any worse. I asked what does "worse" mean and he said, "Oh, you'll know!"

FREAKING GREAT! And I thought the worst was over! Damn the wisdom teeth!

HippieChik ]

Sooo, back from the surgeon's office and he said they see this swelling sometimes about 3-4 weeks out from surgery. He said a piece of bone or something like that is in there and it's like when you get a splinter, your body tries to get rid of it and it festers up. He gave me some antibiotics and pain meds, told me to massage the area and it should come out on it's own. If not, he'll have to cut it open and drain it. He told me to come back if it got any worse. I asked what does "worse" mean and he said, "Oh, you'll know!"

FREAKING GREAT! And I thought the worst was over! Damn the wisdom teeth!

yea.

this is a true story, i was on laughing gas, my surgeon was jewish but the dude started talking in japanese in the middle of the surgery.

also the same week i lost the wisdoms i had 4 molars removed as well, old fashion way, they pulled them off.

Guys...guys guys. I went throught the same awful pain, but they usually give you good drugs to mask that pain. I had percocet and as long as you take your second dose BEFORE the first one wears off, you shoudl be good to go.

And Hippie, yes.dry sockets REALLY suck. But again, good meds fix the pain. Try taking more!! lol

SEQUOYAH ]

Guys...guys guys. I went throught the same awful pain, but they usually give you good drugs to mask that pain. I had percocet and as long as you take your second dose BEFORE the first one wears off, you shoudl be good to go.

And Hippie, yes.dry sockets REALLY suck. But again, good meds fix the pain. Try taking more!! lol

Ok so what do you do when NONE of the meds work??? After surgery, I finished off my husband's hydrocodone along with another Rx of it that I already had. It only knocked the edge off. Oh and I was taking it every 4 hours on the dot along with Motrin every 6 hours. When that was all gone, I went and got MY Rx filled and it was for the Percocet. And that crap makes me ill. I get real dizzy on that stuff. (Only took it for 2 days because I felt so bad on it.) Again taking it every 4 hours on the dot and Motrin every 6 hours. NONE of it even touched the dry socket pain. The only thing that helped was when I went back for my 1 week check the surgeon put this packing in there that had been soaked in some clove tasting funk. It helped but I tasted that crap for days. I couldn't decide which was worse, the pain or the taste of that stuff.

Today he gave me Darvocet, so we'll see how well that does. I don't do pills, at all. Suffer through migraines all the time because I hate taking meds, but I will tell you, this crap makes me a believer in pain meds and now I see how people can get addicted. I'm going to try the Darvocet tonight. I hope it doesn't make me sick. :-\ I would really like to get some good rest tonight.

That sucks Hippie!!! Mine happened about ten days after the surgery. I woke up one mornign and felt like someone kicked me and my cheeck was swollen. I went back right away and he said it was infected, take these pills and here's more pain meds. About 3 days later, I woke up and the whole side of my head was swollen. No bs. My neck, my ear, my eye, cheek, jawbone, everything. It was instant. Almost the worst pain I've felt. That's when he cut me open and sewed in that tube for a few days. I hope it goes away for you.

My wife can't take perco either without getting sick. Darvoset worked much better for her. She got fuuuuucked up on the Darvos. ;D

IRISHTER ]

I remember the meds working fine however wanted to caution all you youngsters NOT to eat rice while them holes are still there! It takes a while to fish 'em out....

damn that sucks.

hey hippie i know that if the pain is so bad they will give you pain killers for cancer patients, of course not morphine. More than painkillers they out you to sleep.

I don't remember much pain when I had mine pulled, but I'll tell you a funny thing that happened on the way home afterwards. So I had all 4 pulled at once, the doc folded up some a couple strips of guaze and put it in the back of my mouth and had me bite down to soak up the blood and he sent me home (I wasn't on any painkiller yet because I was still numbed up). I was driving home and remembered it was the last day that I could drop off the Tricare enrollment form for my son otherwise he wouldn't be covered for another month, so I stopped at the Tricare office. I was standing at the front desk and a woman came to help me and told me to sign something and when I looked down to pick up the pen on the desk, blood went everywhere. Not just a few drops of blood either, enough that under other circumstances I might have thought I was dying. I guess the gauze was full and the blood was pooling up in my mouth, and since I was numb, I didn't know. I was embarassed as hell, but looking back, it was pretty funny.

HippieChik ]
SEQUOYAH ]

Ok so what do you do when NONE of the meds work??? After surgery, I finished off my husband's hydrocodone along with another Rx of it that I already had. It only knocked the edge off. Oh and I was taking it every 4 hours on the dot along with Motrin every 6 hours. When that was all gone, I went and got MY Rx filled and it was for the Percocet. And that crap makes me ill. I get real dizzy on that stuff. (Only took it for 2 days because I felt so bad on it.) Again taking it every 4 hours on the dot and Motrin every 6 hours. NONE of it even touched the dry socket pain. The only thing that helped was when I went back for my 1 week check the surgeon put this packing in there that had been soaked in some clove tasting funk. It helped but I tasted that crap for days. I couldn't decide which was worse, the pain or the taste of that stuff.

Today he gave me Darvocet, so we'll see how well that does. I don't do pills, at all. Suffer through migraines all the time because I hate taking meds, but I will tell you, this crap makes me a believer in pain meds and now I see how people can get addicted. I'm going to try the Darvocet tonight. I hope it doesn't make me sick. :-\ I would really like to get some good rest tonight.

Hippie, when I had my dry socket, the dentist put some kind of medicated something or other down into the socket. Yes, actually crammed it down there with a tool, without novicaine. It took 3 nurses to hold me down, but the pain was gone within an hour. I LOVE darvocet. Works great and doesn't make you sick. Its not as strong as the others though.

I still kept the percs and got another refill to boot. LMAO! ;D ;D

Sgt.JoeFriday ]

I HATE You ALL. My last checkup the Dr. said he's thinking it's getting close to wanting to take mine out too. I'm 36, NEVER had a cavity and still have all my Wisdom teeth. And you all are telling me how much it's going to hurt, You Suck!

be calm, take your meds, it takes about a week for you to be able to eat again, and trust me use ice to reduce the swelling, and about an hour after the surgery do gargles with salt water as that helps blood clot, this will reduce bleeding in a matter of 5 minutes.

Sgt.JoeFriday ]

I HATE You ALL. My last checkup the Dr. said he's thinking it's getting close to wanting to take mine out too. I'm 36, NEVER had a cavity and still have all my Wisdom teeth. And you all are telling me how much it's going to hurt, You Suck!

I am so sorry you have to have this mutilation done! LOL! I'm 36 also and had to have all 4 surgically removed by an oral surgeon. And you see what my experience has been like. For whatever reason, God has decided to bestow upon me the "Murphy's Law" curse and anytime I experience something major (i.e. my wedding, the birth of my children, wisdom teeth being violently removed from my face, etc.) something INSANE always happens. It's just my luck!

Now we have people like my husband and my sister who had theirs removed and had NO problems with VERY LITTLE pain. So, maybe you won't have such a bad time of it.

Maybe some people who had it done with no problems should post so Sgt. isn't so freaked out.