What forum you using?

Most spam bots are program to answer the basic register forum question. You need to add a spam bot mod which adds a quick easy question like what is 2+2 to throw the bot off.. This 99% blocks the bots.

or you can set your forum up to have an admin approve all register members by hand.

So what forum are you using?

Also,

If your using an outdated forum you should check if they have an upgrade for a 2008 version or like with vBullentin there current version is 3.7.4 and there about to come out with a 3.8.x version (beta out now). They come out every 2-3 months with a updated version to fix, bugs and errors! That should by you some time till the bots come again lol.

If u need any help PM me or aim me PHILLYFAN0627

Also I noticed most bots are using gmail accounts you can ban gmail accounts from allowing anyone who using gmail accounts to register on ur forum. Only prob with this is some humans use gmail accounts to they wont be able to register lol, but im sure it will slow down the bots lol

ASK Chilidawg his old game lobby site was a bot fest we upgraded his forum and added a spam bot NO BOTS!

Here is a little lesson on how Bots work.

Bots are generaly tunneling into your site using a proccess similar to spoofing.

It is called IP within IP encapsulation.

The reason they are hard to control is the fact that the ip they contact your site with is differrent from the signiture ip they leave imprinted on the spam. The inner ip has the payload and the outer ip tunnels in leaving no signiture on the messege. As you can see this is a hard one to fix without locking down the normal packet flow of the sites authenticated users.

There are firewall settings that will block the decapsulization proccess but can also cause stability issues in the normal packet flow intermitantly causing some content to fail to reach its destination point within your site.

Here is a brief overview of how all of this works.

This document specifies a method by which an IP datagram may be

encapsulated (carried as payload) within an IP datagram.

Encapsulation is suggested as a means to alter the normal IP routing

for datagrams, by delivering them to an intermediate destination that

would otherwise not be selected based on the (network part of the) IP

Destination Address field in the original IP header.

Once the

encapsulated datagram arrives at this intermediate destination node,

it is decapsulated, yielding the original IP datagram, which is then

delivered to the destination indicated by the original Destination

Address field. This use of encapsulation and decapsulation of a

datagram is frequently referred to as "tunneling" the datagram, and

the encapsulator and decapsulator are then considered to be the

"endpoints" of the tunnel.

In the most general tunneling case we have

source ---> encapsulator --------> decapsulator ---> destination

with the source, encapsulator, decapsulator, and destination being

separate nodes. The encapsulator node is considered the "entry

Perkins Standards Track Page 1

RFC 2003 IP-within-IP October 1996

point" of the tunnel, and the decapsulator node is considered the

"exit point" of the tunnel. There in general may be multiple

source-destination pairs using the same tunnel between the

encapsulator and decapsulator.

2. Motivation

The Mobile IP working group has specified the use of encapsulation as

a way to deliver datagrams from a mobile node's "home network" to an

agent that can deliver datagrams locally by conventional means to the

mobile node at its current location away from home [8]. The use of

encapsulation may also be desirable whenever the source (or an

intermediate router) of an IP datagram must influence the route by

which a datagram is to be delivered to its ultimate destination.

Other possible applications of encapsulation include multicasting,

preferential billing, choice of routes with selected security

attributes, and general policy routing.

It is generally true that encapsulation and the IP loose source

routing option [10] can be used in similar ways to affect the routing

of a datagram, but there are several technical reasons to prefer

encapsulation:

If you want to understand this further I would suggest you study the whole article here:

http://www.rfc-archive.org/getrfc.php?rfc=2003

Grinder

Get off the dope dude.

I have already explained bots ^^^^^^^^^

Here is a spider/crawler

A web crawler (also known as a web spider, web robot, or—especially in the FOAF community—web scutter[1]) is a program or automated script that browses the World Wide Web in a methodical, automated manner. Other less frequently used names for web crawlers are ants, automatic indexers, bots, and worms.[2]

This process is called web crawling or spidering. Many sites, in particular search engines, use spidering as a means of providing up-to-date data. Web crawlers are mainly used to create a copy of all the visited pages for later processing by a search engine that will index the downloaded pages to provide fast searches. Crawlers can also be used for automating maintenance tasks on a website, such as checking links or validating HTML code. Also, crawlers can be used to gather specific types of information from Web pages, such as harvesting e-mail addresses (usually for spam).

A web crawler is one type of bot, or software agent. In general, it starts with a list of URLs to visit, called the seeds. As the crawler visits these URLs, it identifies all the hyperlinks in the page and adds them to the list of URLs to visit, called the crawl frontier. URLs from the frontier are recursively visited according to a set of policies.

Both the UF forum and my own Ravenfall forum have fallen victim to some bot invasions, but both forums are set so that an admin must approve the accoubts before they can post, and bot emails are usually pretty easy to identify and then delete without mixing them up with too many valid player email addys.

what tow said.. plus i usually run IP addresses too .. just to make sure that IP has not been already on our site. as another member.. Bot or possibly enemy.. ex member..etc.. this should eliminate almost all probs if you follow this. I get probably 10 bot registrations per month.. and i can always tell based on email or IP.

Here I went on to SMF and found 3 mods. You can install all 3 to bullet proof your self or just install one and it will work!

If you look where it says Description on top of that says "Support and comments about mod" You can click that and read what everyone says about the mod after they install it.

reCAPTCHA - http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1044

Are you HUMAN (bot check) - http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=999

Anti-Bot Registration Puzzle - http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1078

there all compatible with 1.1.4 to 1.1.7 if UF decides they wanted to try it out too.

I never installed a SMF forum before only vB until today when i did my first SMF install and I did it in 10 min. It's a easy forum to upgrade and install.

I read up on it for ya and this is what I found out. It seems all 1.1.x forums are being attack and its not a good product to use with all the errors there having BUT BUT

It seems there new install 2.0.x has limited the bot attacks ALOT. If you need help installing, upgrading or adding the mods just let me know and i'll help. I'm sure MaluNYMets, chillidawg and BIGkillerBOY can vouch for me with alot of others. There just the most recent ppl I've done work for.

here is the read I found

In recent days there has been a huge surge in the numbers of spambots attacking SMF 1.1.x forums. Some have suggested that this is due to the recent SMF 1.1.7 security upgrade, but in fact the attacks are unrelated to the functional changes in SMF 1.1.7. This is supported by the fact that SMF 1.1.6 and earlier versions are also subject to the attacks. The attacks have nothing to do with the SMF 1.1.7 upgrade.

We at SMF believe that this is nothing more than a coincidental, large scale, coordinated attack, possibly orchestrated using the recently updated version of Xrumer or a similar script or program used for spamming forums. Evidently one or more large bot herders have decided to exploit the market and has targeted their fleet towards spamming SMF forums. It is mere coincidence that this happened around the same time as the SMF 1.1.7 upgrade was released.

Why aren't SMF 2.0 forums being targeted?

Nobody knows, but we can speculate that it is due to SMF 2.0's improved functionality, or maybe there are minor differences between 1.1.x and 2.0 that confuse the bots. In either case if you are running 2.0 you should be on the watch for the attack spreading to SMF 2.0.

What can you do?

1.) Everybody should make sure that they are running the latest SMF 1.x or 2.x version. While the spam attacks are not related to security, you should take this occasion as a reminder to check out your security and make sure you have done everything you can to make your forum safe.

2.) At least for now SMF 2.0 has not been affected. The new version has improved spam defenses including the ability to ask any number of verification questions (what year is it? are you a bot?). Since most forums will pick different questions, these questions are very difficult for spambots to answer. If you have been considering upgrading to 2.0, now might be a good time to do so.

3.) Smaller forums may be able to switch from Member Activation to Member Approval and then may examine email addresses, IP addresses, etc. to decide which applications are human and which are spammers. This of course will result in more labor to operate your forum.

4.) You may decide to use post counts to restrict new members to posting a staging area, then give them full access only after they have shown they are human. The staging area can be easily swept of any spam debris.

i dont even need or use those Mods.. simply turning on admin approved registration and then checking IPs and Usernames.. usually like stated above.. you can tell when its a bot by username or email most of the time.. IP addresses are a good back up check ... i also noticed that they are up to 1.1.7 now .. which i am behind myself in.. i am rockin 1.1.4 . Bot free though w/ the admin approved reg. Which will be in your admin panel under the REGISTRATION tab on the left side and then click settings in the registration area options. From there you should see some options to help keep those BOTS off your site.

RNG187 ]
X_-GHOST-_X ]

i dont think thats the "image" we want in the uf ... my opinion

agreed' date=' but its a great movie for the issues it presents and how it presents the issues.

[/quote']

Yeah, but that avatar is out of context and sends a bad image. I'm betting quite a few here have no clue what the movie is. ;)