Game Review Thread

why SHOULDN'T you?

it's what survival horror is all about. the entire game is intense and suspenseful. you're pretty much alone on a space ship fighting enemies that get stronger off of headshots. the graphics are gorgeous. it has the feel of resident evil in space. it's a full screen game meaning you wont be seeing your bullets or health on the bottom right of the screen.. everything is directly ON your character/gun. your items menu pops up as a holographic screen and everything happens real time.. so if you want to heal, you're doing it while you're still fighting.

just think resident evil 4, and you have pretty much what this game is. monsters are crazy (there are many types) and the boss fights are cool. there's many features like zero gravity which is extremely badass.

go watch some video reviews.. its one of the best games i've played all year and definitely one of the biggest surprised

Actually, I just posted this on the RVN forums:

So I bought Fallout 3 yesterday with my pre-order for Socom. I asked around, read the reviews, and decided this would be a good change of pace game to Socom.

First off, it's not an online game. It is basically Oblivion set in an Apocalyptic America. It has a similar advancement method (i.e. ex. points are gained, and allow you to advance your characters traits.) but adds a bonus system, allowing you to gain more for even # levels; 2,4,6......

For anyone who played Oblivion, its pretty much the same. Only difference is it's ALOT more deadly in Washington D.C. Radiation spots make it hard to travel and explore, and regular creatures have mutated into deadly animals. Also, unlike Oblivion, people automatically don't trust you. People shoot at you w/o provocation, and it's up to you to end conflicts.

They also have added a shooting system that is part turned based, part Matrix, part Max Payne.

When an enemy is near enough to be engaged, you can pull up this radar deal that zooms in and divides the person's body parts up into sectors. it gives you percentages of damage and likelyhood of a hit. You can stack multiple shots together to destroy an enemy. You can also cripple enemies, and leave them alive but unable to fight. Its pretty fuckin awesome.

I have only played it for a few hours, and have only done like 4 side quests, but so far I got an awesome game. Its engrossing, you just wanna play and play and play. Its beautiful in presentation, it's exciting to play, and I love that in this one, you can completely determine your own destiny. Each question has a multitude of answers, and there isnt a wrong one, but everyone changes the path you are on.

Only problem I've had is the lack of explanation of some of the quests. I like it and dislike it for the same reason. Trial and error got me dead, yet figuring it out made it more rewarding.

More to come as I pay my way through. So far, if you liked Oblivion, you will LOVE Fallout 3.

If some were wondering, that is where I have been for the past week or so...lol

I have NEVER been a fan of RPG's or whatever these are, but this one has got me hooked sooo bad. I have already finished the game and now I am on my second run through. Tool, be VERY careful. This game will suck you in. The good news is that even after you have finished the game, you can run through it again. I am about a 1/4 of the way now and it's a whole new game.

I can recommend the following,

Whenever you come to the end of a quest, right before the multiple choice...SAVE...then, go back trying out different paths.

Whenever you enter cities, holster your weapon. People are less likely to shoot at you.

While in buildings, don't leave any rock unturned. You'll find ALL kinds of shit in Desks, Bathrooms, etc...Usually, each building will have multiple levels.

As far as perks go,

I found that these were the most useful:

Barter:You can get some really good deals and earn EXTRA caps

Speech:You will be able to "Talk" your way out of shit and get extra XP

Science:You'll be able to hack MORE terminals and learn MORE about the "back story" in personal notes

lockpick:This is obvious

Repair:You can fix your weapons better making them MORE deadly

Overall, this game is awesome. It is one of those games that you can play for MONTHS and not grow tired of...Playing it pretty much non-stop for the past week and a half, I "finished" the main story. However, with this game you can replay it and it GETS BETTER. Not to mention that you can play in First or Third person(Over the shoulder).

is that little big planet or what ever it is called an online game?

Im buying a new game tonight not sure what to get man. Like i've mention before I've never played another game BUT socom since like 2004ish. I got cod5 right now haven't played it yet. ANd i'm looking to broaden my search for games.

I played confrontation for the second time 2 days ago with my family sit. got better and played it up till today and I can honestly say I think my socom days are done! I hate the game. Everyone keeps saying keep playing it you'll get use to it. I dont know and I dont think so. Usually your first impression is always the right call. Am I right or wrong on this.

I mean I have it in a bag ready to go exchange at game stop is 2 and a half days not enough time to judge the game? SHould I give it mroe time?

PHILLYFAN ]

Also

Can some one help me find a game that is similar to Zelda or if some ppl remember the game Maximo. They use to be my favorite games and I stop playing maximo for socom lol

Is there any games that come close to the concept of zelda and maximo for ps3?

ratchet and clank, kinda. i remember maximo, lol game was fun

IMO, I say wait on Socom Philly. If you were a former junkie, it'll come back to ya. I wasn't super impressed in the first few days either. Once I got the COD mindset out of my brain, it went much better. Plus it didn't help I was playing CA right before I started playing CON.

Haven't played NFS yet. I hope it's better than the last few. ???

I have played Mortal Combat vs. DCU. That game is fun, fun, fun. Just as fun as Marvel vs. Street Fighter ever was, if not more fun. Of course it isn't a sim type like tekken, it's still MC and arcadish, but I'm buying it this week. Using the Unreal engine has really improved MC in my eyes.

PHILLYFAN ]

is that little big planet or what ever it is called an online game?

Im buying a new game tonight not sure what to get man. Like i've mention before I've never played another game BUT socom since like 2004ish. I got cod5 right now haven't played it yet. ANd i'm looking to broaden my search for games.

I played confrontation for the second time 2 days ago with my family sit. got better and played it up till today and I can honestly say I think my socom days are done! I hate the game. Everyone keeps saying keep playing it you'll get use to it. I dont know and I dont think so. Usually your first impression is always the right call. Am I right or wrong on this.

I mean I have it in a bag ready to go exchange at game stop is 2 and a half days not enough time to judge the game? SHould I give it mroe time?

yeah LittleBigPlanet is an online game, u play user created levels online & create ur own levels for the world to play.

BigMoneyNacku ]

I have played Mortal Combat vs. DCU. That game is fun, fun, fun. Just as fun as Marvel vs. Street Fighter ever was, if not more fun. Of course it isn't a sim type like tekken, it's still MC and arcadish, but I'm buying it this week. Using the Unreal engine has really improved MC in my eyes.

To say that any fighting game is as fun as Marvel vs. Capcom is a HUGE thing.. Marvel vs. Capcom is the best game ever and will never be over-taken.. and definitely not by a 7.5 rated game ;)

BigMoneyNacku ]

IMO, I say wait on Socom Philly. If you were a former junkie, it'll come back to ya.

If it wasn't for a few clan members that still play this game I would have traded it in a long time ago. So, "it" doesn't come back to everybody. There are better games out there to play right now.

Resistance2 is a good game for a change of pace. If you liked the first one, this is a notch up for sure. Still enjoy lag free 60 players rooms. I find its my "main" PS3 game right now.

WiZ ]
BigMoneyNacku ]

IMO, I say wait on Socom Philly. If you were a former junkie, it'll come back to ya.

If it wasn't for a few clan members that still play this game I would have traded it in a long time ago. So, "it" doesn't come back to everybody. There are better games out there to play right now.

Resistance2 is a good game for a change of pace. If you liked the first one, this is a notch up for sure. Still enjoy lag free 60 players rooms. I find its my "main" PS3 game right now.

Have you played COD what online do you think is better? Resistance or COD5?