ALL-TIME Greats!

PHILLYFAN ]

Does anyone think Emmitt SMith is better then Sanders?

These are 2 totally different backs who played in 2 totally different situations. Emmitt throughout his career was complimented with all the weapons to make him good. First and foremost, he had one of the best offensive lines ever assembled. They created holes that a blind one legged man could gain yards in.

He had a quarterback that was consistent. Aikman may have not been one of the top 20 quarterbacks of all time, however he was consistent. He made plays and was able to manage a game with the best of them.

They then had Irvin, Harper and Novacek. They kept teams from putting 8 and 9 guys in the box to stop the running game. Irvin drew a double team on most occassions and most linebackers could not cover Novacek. This opened doors for Harper with a lot of 1 on 1 coverage.

There was also a great fullback by the name of moose Johnston. Not only a great lead blocking back, but a offensive weapon as well. Just enough offense to where you had to play him honest.

Dallas also had a great defense. This allowed the offense more time on the field.

In essence Smith had the whole package on his teams. He was a straight forward runner. A runner good at getting to the hole. A hole that was there on most of his carries. He was not fast by any means, however his style was a perfect fit for the cowboys. Tell me where the hole is and I will get there.

Then there is Barry Sanders. What the hell did he have to work with. Absolutely nothing. No Quarterback. No Offensive line. One good receiver his whole career in Herman Moore. They also had no defense. This kept the offense off the field.

Sander was both quicker and faster than Smith. A good number of his carries, he was hit prior to even getting back to the line of scrimmage. Sanders had more yards in negative carries than anyone in the history of the game, yet he ranked second all time in yards prior to retiring. He retired when he still had several years left in him. He walked away from the game. Had he of stayed and played the few years he had left in him, he definitely would be the all time leading rusher to this day.

While Emmitt was good in his days and situation, he is not in the same league as Sanders. I could only imagine how many 2,000 yard seasons Barry would of had if he played for the Cowboys during the period that Emmitt played.

PHILLYFAN ]

Also I always like scott mitchell and perriman was a nice w/r next to moore and also had jonnie morton. i'm not trying to compare both teams cause i understand what your saying' date=' but sanders had more compliment players then your giving him.

[/quote']

Are you serious? Comparing Mitchell to Aikman, however you missed the whole point. It was the sum of the whole that made Emmit what he was. The Offensive line was the key. The rest of the offensive for Dallas was just icing. It kept defenses honest. Hell I think you take Irving out of Dallas and he would probably of been just another good receiver, not a hall of famer.

This is why it is really hard to compare players. I don't care how good you are individually as a RB, QB, WR or even on the other side of the ball a LB, DE or CB, if your team really stinks, it is hard for you to get numbers to shine.

Hell I am a Steeler fan. Been since 1969. Franco Harris was in the exact same boat as Emmit Smith. He wasn't fast, but there were holes provided by an offensive line that dominated during that era. Franco was like Emmitt in they both had good vision. Had Franco or Emmitt played on those Detroit teams that Barry played on, Franco probably would not be in the HOF and Emmitt not even considered when his time comes.

nba-BILL RUSSEL(hands down. undersized beast with great skills)

mlb-BABE RUTH (average man back then , overweight,smoked, pitched and hit)

nfl-this is a hard one( the best overall player ive watched was troy brown (offens, defense, special teamer,man he was everywhere very small guy)but i cant think of the best player ever) i'll say terry bradshaw....but montana and brady are up their and so are some old school running backs -jim brown-the redskins running back (cant remember his name)-marino aahhhhh i cant decide----TOM BRADY THEN I'LL FRICKEN SAY TOM BRADY.......(fight..fight.fight...(dolphins pvs pats)

nhl-wayne gretzky

Bandit99 ]
PHILLYFAN ]

Also I always like scott mitchell and perriman was a nice w/r next to moore and also had jonnie morton. i'm not trying to compare both teams cause i understand what your saying' date=' but sanders had more compliment players then your giving him.

[/quote']

Are you serious? Comparing Mitchell to Aikman, however you missed the whole point. It was the sum of the whole that made Emmit what he was. The Offensive line was the key. The rest of the offensive for Dallas was just icing. It kept defenses honest. Hell I think you take Irving out of Dallas and he would probably of been just another good receiver, not a hall of famer.

This is why it is really hard to compare players. I don't care how good you are individually as a RB, QB, WR or even on the other side of the ball a LB, DE or CB, if your team really stinks, it is hard for you to get numbers to shine.

Hell I am a Steeler fan. Been since 1969. Franco Harris was in the exact same boat as Emmit Smith. He wasn't fast, but there were holes provided by an offensive line that dominated during that era. Franco was like Emmitt in they both had good vision. Had Franco or Emmitt played on those Detroit teams that Barry played on, Franco probably would not be in the HOF and Emmitt not even considered when his time comes.

Just curious if you can read? We all know you can type. Where did i compare AIkman to Mitchell? YOU said he had no QB and i countered with I always like scott mitchell.

Yea I know, but you named all these players Dallas had trying to make your case. And only said Lions had Moore, it doesn't matter.

I just think ppl read to much into the what if's. A player is a player. I don't think cause someone was on a btter team or is faster should even be brought up. If that's the case randell cunningham should be considered for the HOF cause he was the fastest/quickest QB in his era.

PHILLYFAN ]

AND trust me I a phillyfan and I cant believe im defending a cowgirl lol

I think we can agree on something for once.. philly. Id take smith over barry sanders any day.

But you are leaving Jerome Bettis (OMFG I HATE THE STEELERS) but the BUS was the shit.

And you forgot about old school Bills Thurman Thomas. Thomas was ***** Cock Deisel.

I can see where Bandit is coming from... talking about Cowboys when they where the shit.

You had the MAN who made Tight End a position Jay Novacek.. Im sorry but he made that position.. and he was the damn best at it... were lucky to have Witten Now.

But anyways... It was Novacek, Aikmen, Irvin, Smith, Harper... then Newton on Line. It was Sick. I dont remember the others... but man that was a good year for me.

I remember it being hard though cuz My dad was always a Bills Fan.. which is why i admire Thurman Thoman and Big Bruce.. i dont remember his name he was on Bills OL back in the day. Jim Kelly was solid for a little bit.

I don't think Lebron can count yet.. maybe you're more on the side of you're HOPING that he becomes the best ever. But to say right now that he is the all-time greatest might seem like a great deal of bias. Right now, he is no where NEAR the best player ever in the NBA. He has the potential to become one of them, but definitely is not right now.

Personally, I believe the same thing as I do with all people... in order to be considered the best, you need some rings on your hands and trophies in your house

Sports is a very broad --- which creates a broad answer...

American's tend to leave out Soccer---including myself after being converted to a wider view of sports from my professor.

SOCCER - Pele <considered the world's greatest sport--he is a freaking national hero in Brazil>

NBA - Michael Jordan <most dominate athlete in any sport>

MLB - Barry Bonds <controversy aside> with controversy Babe Ruth.

NFL - Jim Brown

NHL -Wayne Gretzky

OLYMPIAN - Jim Thorpe or Carl Lewis <hard one>

GOLF - Tiger Woods

BOXING - Muhammad Ali

MMA - Anderson Silvia (best pound for pound)

PHILLYFAN ]

OK this is how it's going to work. In the 4 major sports (i.e NHL' date=' MLB, NBA, NFL) you will pick one person and only one person for each sport on who you think is the best player ever for that sport.

No object to this. This is just to debate who is the all time great for that sport.

I'll start.

MLB - Ted Williams

NBA - Micheal Jordan

NFL - Jerry Rice (Football is hard to pick from man)

NHL - Wayne Gretzky

[/quote']

great list but I will have to disagree myself:):):)

MLB:Ty Cobb (alot of people like Ruth, and Babe was amazing but I love Ty Cobb)

NBA: Larry Bird (way to many people say Jordan, but I rem Bird beating Jordan alot, and rem Jordans North Carolina Tar Heels got beat in 1976 championship by the 32-0 Indiana Hoosiers!)

NFL: Dan Marino (awsome quaterback, but never got his Ring)

NHL: will agree with ya... Wayne was amazing!

Jordan played Bird his first six seasons, of course he would beat him a lot he was still pretty new. You take Jordan in his prime, and Bird in his prime and you can't compare. I grew up watching Michael Jordan. Not to mention he dropped 63 points on the Celtics in 86.

MLB - I don't watch the MLB, nor do I really care for it. I support the Pittsburgh Pirates but we've sucked for wayyyyy to long.

NBA - Jordan

NHL - Mario Lemieux, Soon to be Sid the Kid.

NFL - Barry Sanders, he would've broken every single record known to mankind if he played 3 more years, he had the shittiest line and was by far the best running back the game as ever seen.

NBA - Michael Jordan

MLB - Hank Aaron, maybe Ty Cobb

NFL - Jim Brown or Barry Sanders

NHL - Don't watch enough Hockey to know

GOLF - Tiger Woods

BOXING - Muhammad Ali or Iron Mike Tyson

Jordan vs. Bird. IMO, Bird only beat Jordan early in his career because Bird was on a good TEAM. The Bulls were......Jordan. Bird could not have carried a team the way MJ did all those years.

Boxing: Just like Barry, Mike's career was cut short and nobody knows how he would have fared with more time. That being said, nobody and I mean nobody dominated the Heavyweight division in modern history like Mike did. The man was completely unstoppable.