Home Theater question

I've decided recently to acquire a home theater system but I know nothing about them. It doesn't need to be the loudest setup in the world because its going in my room. I'm more so interested in a speaker setup like surround sound. I'm looking to spend no more than $400 if possible. Also if possible I need to be able to hook it up to my ps3 because that functions as my dvd player as well. Any help would be much appreciated.

Because you are already using HDMI cables (which are the best) make sure the receiver has HDMI in and out. If the reciever has HDMI than it will probably have 2 in and 1 out. So you'll be able to plug another HDMI capable device into it. The more HDMI ports you have the better! The out HDMI port goes to your HI-DEF tv. Goodluck!

Xanthe ]

Because you are already using HDMI cables (which are the best) make sure the receiver has HDMI in and out. If the reciever has HDMI than it will probably have 2 in and 1 out. So you'll be able to plug another HDMI capable device into it. The more HDMI ports you have the better! The out HDMI port goes to your HI-DEF tv. Goodluck!

Thanks Xanthe. What kind of setup would you recommend then?

Tritton Technologies has launched a new set of surround sound gaming headphones called the AX Pro 5.1 Surround Sound headset. Surround sound headphones are nothing new, but what you don't commonly see is a set of headphones that will work with analog 5.1 connections and digital optical outputs.

just plug into the back of your ps3 and your done. awesome sound you can adjust front,rear center, and bass

$139.99

Definitely have HDMI for the connection, I was rolling with Components for a few weeks and finally had enough to get a good HDMI cable, the difference is more than I thought it would be.

I run the Sony DAV-IS10... bought it over a year ago for $400.

Should be cheaper now cause they have the wireless version available now but stay away from wireless, period.

Yeah, wireless isn't a good idea. I know that Aiwa makes some decent starter surround sound systems for less than 400. I bought one 2 years ago for my sons room, and I was always having to tell him turn it down it was so loud. :P

Your best bet would be to get Goat to get in here or send him a pm. If it is AV related that man can get you all the info you want and then some. ;D

My top choice for this year and next is Harman Kardon.. for example their AVR384 is priced good at the $400 range.. and it blows the doors off the competition for hook ups.. three HDMI inputs. Upscaling and upconverting builit in.. (which means you can hook up your old VCR to the composites and have it upscaled to HDMI output.) a horde of other features.. HK continues to be the top choice.. although self built PC HD home media systems are getting closer.

HK AVR384

HKavr.JPG

hmmm good question. You're asking if it can output over both the HDMI and the RGB at the same time? I know it won't output both HDMI and composite or S-video.. why would you want that anyway since it upconverts.. but since RGB is actually HDMI without the audio it may very well do that. Rather or not you get a HDMI splitter or distribution out of it is the question. Normally output to several units requires a distribution amp so the signal doesn't degrade. However I'm not sure if it's just two it won't do it.. I'll get one of my guys to test it out or else just give the HK rep a em and ask. I'll get back to you. The price range on the 384 is in the 400 range although that's last year model number and a new series is already out.. I'm sure you can get a 384 for under 400 if you shop around.

I have a HAVA HD which lets me record in HD, it has component input not HDMI. When I am recording in 720p or 1080i (Socom Only Component), my TV will flicker. This does not happen when I use HDMI so apparently either the TV doesn't like the analog signal or something with the HAVA but it doesn't happen in the recording so I think it is the TV.

So I want the HDMI to go to the TV so I can play in 1080 or 720 without the flicker and have the component go to the HAVA to record. Make sense?

You know this would have been EASILY solved IF Sony would have had dual video outputs like in the original specs of the PS3!! That would have been SOOOOO SWWEEETTT!!!

Unfortunately that little change would have up'd the price another two bills. Again it has to do with signal desegregation. You simply can't split HDMI like you can cable, even a cable splitter drops the db output 3-5 db's. with HDMI the signal just can't handle being split without proper application to insure no signal loss. In much the same way you can't split the 15pin output of your pc and to run two video outputs you need two video cards. Running both DVI and 15pin outputs off the same card seldom works well if at all. You need a distrubution amp something like this..

HDMI-1x2_splitter-top.jpg

It's the reason I doubt the HK will do it by itself, however if your TV has a hdmi or RGB output you may be able to run the HDMI to it then use its output to go to the HAVA.

I keep getting fooled by thread titles.

I came here to say as of right now, you can only watch the Socom video at the HOME theater.

That is all I got.

EDIT: Actually I got my surround sound set-up for 200 bones from some guy named 'Moe'. Its a pretty sweet Yamaha set-up. ;)