RPG use in tournaments, clan games...

Guest SuddenRedScare

Here's my take:

Horseman was a great idea for a UF Tournament for SOCOM. It was a chance to play with guys you don't normally play with, meet new people, and above all, play the game we all know and love on competitive level here in a great community. Bottom line, the RPG use has ruined the experience for me. It took the great game we had and turned in into a 90 minute camp fest. As of right now, I would NOT recommend ANY Urgent Fury tournament that supports the use of RPG's.

For the people who say it's part of the game, you're right. It is part of the game but it deviates the game play in a way that is less fun for the majority of its players. The only reason I can understand anyone supporting RPG's would be if they couldn't hold their own with a rifle...

That's all.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

every game someone always crys about a weapon. Wasn't the idea of SOCOM supposed to be as realistic as possible? If so then there should not be any debate at all. RPG's are real weapons used in real war. Change your tactics and game play if you cant handle them. Don't cry because someone else's tactics and game play are powning you

Yes the rpg's are supposed to be taken out of ranked rooms and only due to everyone crying about them. Same as the encumbrance so many could run with heavy armor as fast or close to light armor. So if you going to take one thing out of the game you might as well take everything that is not up to par. like armor, the auto shotgun and well most likely the Famas since many are already calling that a noob gun. So, are rpg deaths annoying, yes they are, but no one ever said war was fair!

off topic yet so relative. many camp, many complain about campers and if you seriously think about it sniping is just another form of camping yet no one seems to cry about that. tactics are tactics whether you personally feel they are good or bad. the use of a certain weapon in a certain situation is nothing but a tactic plain and simple.

every game someone always crys about a weapon. Wasn't the idea of SOCOM supposed to be as realistic as possible? If so then there should not be any debate at all. RPG's are real weapons used in real war. Change your tactics and game play if you cant handle them. Don't cry because someone else's tactics and game play are powning you

Yes the rpg's are supposed to be taken out of ranked rooms and only due to everyone crying about them. Same as the encumbrance so many could run with heavy armor as fast or close to light armor. So if you going to take one thing out of the game you might as well take everything that is not up to par. like armor, the auto shotgun and well most likely the Famas since many are already calling that a noob gun. So, are rpg deaths annoying, yes they are, but no one ever said war was fair!

off topic yet so relative. many camp, many complain about campers and if you seriously think about it sniping is just another form of camping yet no one seems to cry about that. tactics are tactics whether you personally feel they are good or bad. the use of a certain weapon in a certain situation is nothing but a tactic plain and simple.

very valid point, but shooting is a "tactic" that takes skill, an rpd is a "tactic" that a three year old can accomplish succesfully. and lets not bring other guns into this thread. and its a tough decision of whether or not i like them in the horsey tourney, cause on one hand they sniff out those campers as if it was crack, and on the otherhand i feel bad if i have just 1 person on my team using it and i get pretty livid if im killed point blank. i think what it boils down to is how the RPG is used. if its used like a gun and someone is just running around with the rpg out and not a gun thats disgusting, but if they pull it out because there campin at the end of a tunnel, well then that just might be ok.

************************IMO************************* ;)

Do I like rockets? No.

Will I ever use them? No.

Will I call you a homo noob for using one? Yes.

Will I adapt to the situation if someone is using them excessively? Yes

Will I hunt the rocketing offender down round after round just to get the chance to dance on their corpse? Yes.

Do I think they take little to no skill to use? No.

Do I think they should be removed from the game? No.

You paid for the game. You read the tournament rules. You walked in the room. Its your decision whether or not you play with them. If someone kills you with one... Dont get mad, get even.

MaluNYMets ]
Prane ]

This is a tough one for me. Somedays I would say I hate rockets because if I am playing bad and having a bad night the last thing I need is to catch a rocket in the face. But I have had a lot of fun using them in the past. I would stay away with them in a serious situation unless vehicles were present.

Im talking about purely in a tournament match. I don't see why Rockets are allowed when GL's aren't. Especially when the game had it designed for vehicles.

If it was designed for vehicles, then why was it used by the Mercs to flush out the Commandos and attack them in the release videos on Confrontation.

I don't see a problem with RPG's. If I get killed by them, I'll complain, naturally. But I don't see anything wrong with them. It's all about tactics and how you want to play the game. As far as GL's, it's different when you have like 6 rounds and can sit at a door just popping them in over and over again.

The RPG does require some kind of skill. All weapons do, no matter what. I've seen people all over Socom and even had this happen to myself, where an RPG is shot at a nearby enemy but fail to kill him because the blast radius was overestimated. You have to know about the weapon you're using. Frankly, I suck with an RPG and that's because I don't know how to use it. I sucked with noob-tubes on COD4 and that's because I didn't know how to use them.

Yes, we all complain about noob cannons and hate when people use them, but the fact is that half of us don't even know how to use those guns ourselves.

Ok lets get passed the pushing it over to crying about it rant and rave. Lets actually talk about this. From this thread so far with the replies I've seen I think a lot of people don't like RPG's. Some like them. I think its impossible to kill a guy hiding behind a corner with an RPG out. I could by the center of a wall with the entrance a couple of inches to the left and an RPG kills me? On a 4v4 game? Why can't we use GL's? Thats cheap but RPG's aren't?

Listen. I am really not trying to be a dick over here but really get some community feedback and maybe push for a change. Lets not turn this into a hatred fest and throw people in the gutter for their opinions. I think all of us are adults here lets state our opinions in a mature fashion please. Thank you.

MaluNYMets ]

Ok lets get passed the pushing it over to crying about it rant and rave. Lets actually talk about this. From this thread so far with the replies I've seen I think a lot of people don't like RPG's. Some like them. I think its impossible to kill a guy hiding behind a corner with an RPG out. I could by the center of a wall with the entrance a couple of inches to the left and an RPG kills me? On a 4v4 game? Why can't we use GL's? Thats cheap but RPG's aren't?

Listen. I am really not trying to be a dick over here but really get some community feedback and maybe push for a change. Lets not turn this into a hatred fest and throw people in the gutter for their opinions. I think all of us are adults here lets state our opinions in a mature fashion please. Thank you.

Fine Mr. Poopy pants.

As far as realism goes.... i'm sure the boys in the armed forces can't stand the terrorist noobs with their rpg's either. Not to mention the many other devastating weapons that are available. But this is a video game, and yes i hate them too, but they have tourney's with and without explosives to change it up. If they're close and miss with it, they don't have time to reload and can be killed easily, If they are far away, and hit you, it would probably be the same result from a good sniper, i hate those bastards too! If grenades are allowed i think all explosives should be allowed. You just have to adapt to the situation.

Ok here is the thing everyone is hung up on RPG's and AT-4's only purpose is for stopping tanks and/or armored vehicles. The reality of this is that these weapons are used against infantry all the time.

For instance how many war movies have seen were two guys are sitting in a firehole and someone yells RPG... boom they are all dead. WTF the enemy didn't use it on a vehicle OMG I am gonna raise the bull shit flag, give them boys back there lives. I don't think it works like that ask anyone who has served in the military or is serving in the military it just doesn't happen like that. MaCoo that is a movie yeah and this is a video game. ;)

People need to do there research not a single one of us know the intent of the programmers for this game. Besides they are trying to make a video game as close to reality as they can and still make it playable.

I did the research for you and when in doubt wiki it.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_propelled_grenade

Warheads

The HE (high explosive) warhead is a general-purpose explosive warhead for use against unarmored targets such as infantry, unarmored wheeled vehicles, and fixed positions. The HE warhead detonates upon impact. The warhead case and charge generate a moderate amount of fragmentation, which can pass through many obstacles without stopping.

Unarmored targets such as infantry -> someone trying to run across the map and avoid a sniper shot but not my RPG. ;D

Unarmored wheeled vehicles -> terrorist trucks from socom 3 and CA... Still died from my RPG...

Fixed positions -> someone camping a corner and using 3rd person vision to see further then they really could and popping out to kill a enemy target... unless it is me and then you get a rocket up your ass.. :-*

FAIR IS FAIR... don't debate the realism of a game when you obviously wouldn't pop out from behind a wall and drop someone with a head shot with one shot, again all the time your using the 3rd person vision of the video game. ::)

Who debated the realism of the game? No one plays a video game so its realistic. I stated my opinion that RPG's should be used for vehicles. If your hiding in a closed area with your RPG out. It is nearly impossible to kill you. Just like when a GL is out. If you use a gun sitting in that same spot i could still come out and kill you. I find it cheap thats my opinon just as bad as a GL takes the fun away from a match and a tournament game. In a horsemen match and both sides has RPG your most likely just going to camp and tie up the whole game. You come around a corner you got no chance. The only way to adapt is camp back.

MaCoo_ ]

Ok here is the thing everyone is hung up on RPG's and AT-4's only purpose is for stopping tanks and/or armored vehicles. The reality of this is that these weapons are used against infantry all the time.

For instance how many war movies have seen were two guys are sitting in a firehole and someone yells RPG... boom they are all dead. WTF the enemy didn't use it on a vehicle OMG I am gonna raise the bull shit flag, give them boys back there lives. I don't think it works like that ask anyone who has served in the military or is serving in the military it just doesn't happen like that. MaCoo that is a movie yeah and this is a video game. ;)

People need to do there research not a single one of us know the intent of the programmers for this game. Besides they are trying to make a video game as close to reality as they can and still make it playable.

I did the research for you and when in doubt wiki it.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_propelled_grenade

Warheads

The HE (high explosive) warhead is a general-purpose explosive warhead for use against unarmored targets such as infantry, unarmored wheeled vehicles, and fixed positions. The HE warhead detonates upon impact. The warhead case and charge generate a moderate amount of fragmentation, which can pass through many obstacles without stopping.

Unarmored targets such as infantry -> someone trying to run across the map and avoid a sniper shot but not my RPG. ;D

Unarmored wheeled vehicles -> terrorist trucks from socom 3 and CA... Still died from my RPG...

Fixed positions -> someone camping a corner and using 3rd person vision to see further then they really could and popping out to kill a enemy target... unless it is me and then you get a rocket up your ass.. :-*

FAIR IS FAIR... don't debate the realism of a game when you obviously wouldn't pop out from behind a wall and drop someone with a head shot with one shot, again all the time your using the 3rd person vision of the video game. ::)

Macoo you make me so proud :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( Great post BTW

I wish I could use my GL. :P

Okay as much as I will like to :'( with the rest of you. I just don't get it. Some of you have to much time on your hands to pick apart everything you don't like. Like the things I hate about Socom thread. As much as some of you say you hate it, you still play the game for one reason or another. Some say it's because of their clan members they still play. If that's the case I feel sorry for your clan mates. If you hate this game so much and you only play to be with them, I'm almost willing to bet you bitch all the time in game.

People that say it take skill to do this or skill to do that. I don't get what you mean. So are you saying every time you die that it's bullshit? Do you think because you don't use a weapon that it's cheap that others do? Everyone has their style. Some camp, some run and gun, some just play as a team and don't care about anything but the team.

IMO RPG's and GL should be allowed. I don't know how cheap the Gl's are now because I have never used one in this Socom. RPG's take some skill and sometimes are necessary to use. Sometimes I don't use my RPG to get kills but use it to flush out a guy to my team. Is that cheap? It's all about tactics and being able to change it up when it's needed. Stop bitching about the game play and the way others choose to play. Change up your game play and get the win.

Sorry for going a little off topic.

I don't understand why we can never talk about something that other community clans or members want to discuss and maybe change. People ask for our opinion when it comes to game play then get stomped on left and right for stating it. I just don't get it.

I never said anyting about realism, so again everyone is hung up on there only intent was for stopping armored vehicles. I stated facts that there only intent is not just for vehicles, and that is not an opinion that is fact.

So ok fine you think it is cheap and I thinking camping a corner and waiting for someone to run up to it is cheap.

Now those are two opinions.

An rpg can not be arc'd across the map and kill someone from spawn to spawn.

An rpg can not be fired while moving at all, unlike a 203 or an GL when one is running around.

Again there go them facts.. ;)

MaCoo_ ]

I never said anyting about realism, so again everyone is hung up on there only intent was for stopping armored vehicles. I stated facts that there only intent is not just for vehicles, and that is not an opinion that is fact.

So ok fine you think it is cheap and I thinking camping a corner and waiting for someone to run up to it is cheap.

An rpg can not be fired while moving at all, unlike a 203 or an GL when one is running around.

Yeah but close range. How do you kill a person thats in a closed area with an RPG out? You can't grenade them if you try to run up they get RPG'd you only need to be like 10 inches from it and you will get killed. Forget about the vehicles it doesn't matter. But all I am saying is I am not the only one that feels this way about RPG read the posts before mine.

Well see there you go again you can't fire an rpg from 10" away it won't fire it will just make a fluff sound and give you some smoke. Then the person your shooting it at gets to own you as you try to reload for the second shot. BUT... Now it will fire from 3-4 feet away and although it wont explode it will go through somone and there for killing them. Anything further away than that is an awesome display of fire power. ;D

MaCoo_ ]

i never seen anyone specifically say ARMORED VEHICLES in any post... i think we meant anything with wheels, even a carriage.

On them two points about GL's.. those are pretty much PERFECT.

Fluid... his point is that you cant get close enough to throw a grenade.

Heres my thing.. If in a tourny .. all explosives were allowed.. I would not play. Plain and simple.

MaluNYMets ]

I don't understand why we can never talk about something that other community clans or members want to discuss and maybe change. People ask for our opinion when it comes to game play then get stomped on left and right for stating it. I just don't get it.

You seem to be the only one that's taking anything personal. Everyone else is stating their opinions and discussing. I don't see where anyone has been attacked or stomped.

Saleos_Prime ]

I wish I could use my GL. :P

Okay as much as I will like to :'( with the rest of you. I just don't get it. Some of you have to much time on your hands to pick apart everything you don't like. Like the things I hate about Socom thread. As much as some of you say you hate it, you still play the game for one reason or another. Some say it's because of their clan members they still play. If that's the case I feel sorry for your clan mates. If you hate this game so much and you only play to be with them, I'm almost willing to bet you bitch all the time in game.

People that say it take skill to do this or skill to do that. I don't get what you mean. So are you saying every time you die that it's bullshit? Do you think because you don't use a weapon that it's cheap that others do? Everyone has their style. Some camp, some run and gun, some just play as a team and don't care about anything but the team.

IMO RPG's and GL should be allowed. I don't know how cheap the Gl's are now because I have never used one in this Socom. RPG's take some skill and sometimes are necessary to use. Sometimes I don't use my RPG to get kills but use it to flush out a guy to my team. Is that cheap? It's all about tactics and being able to change it up when it's needed. Stop bitching about the game play and the way others choose to play. Change up your game play and get the win.

Sorry for going a little off topic.