Kevin Garnett traded to the Celtics

July 30, 2007

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

BOSTON -- Kevin Garnett is leaving Minnesota after the Boston Celtics agreed to acquire the All-Star forward in a multiplayer trade with the Timberwolves, a Celtics official told the Associated Press on Monday.

Among the players who could be headed to Minnesota are forward Al Jefferson, guard Sebastian Telfair, swingman Gerald Green and center Theo Ratliff, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal had not been completed. The official also said the Timberwolves would get at least one draft choice.

The teams still had some things to clarify with the players' contracts, but the official said that would not keep the Celtics from acquiring Garnett, although there could be a change in the players ticketed for the Timberwolves.

There was a chance that a conference call announcing the trade would be held Monday, the official said.

Garnett, 31, has spent all of his 12 NBA seasons with Minnesota. He would get an extension of his contract, which has one year plus an option year remaining, the official said.

The Celtics had tried to get Garnett late last month, but his agent said he didn't want to go to Boston.

Since then, Boston acquired seven-time All-Star guard Ray Allen from Seattle in a draft day deal. Already with Paul Pierce, the Celtics would become instant contenders in the mediocre Atlantic Division with Garnett, even without promising forward Jefferson.

The Celtics obtained Allen and the 35th pick of the draft for guards Delonte West and Wally Szczerbiak, and forward Jeff Green of Georgetown, whom they drafted with the fifth pick.

The Celtics have won just three playoff series during Pierce's nine years with them. They still have an NBA-record 16 championships, but none since 1986.

"They have no excuses, this team out there," Danny Ainge, the executive director of basketball operations, said after Allen was acquired.

Pierce, 29, led the Celtics in scoring last season but played only 47 games because of injury.

Allen, who turns 32 next month, averaged a career-high 26.4 points last season, his 11th, but underwent surgery to remove bone spurs on both ankles that required him to wear protective boots. He is expected to be ready for training camp.

AP NEWS

MedicSgt ]
smokeosama ]
MedicSgt ]

LOL, I bet! I would be to if that were my team! ;D

Indeed. I know how you feel Goat, I am a Bulls fan. The way they dismembered the dynasty of the 90's was just idiotic.

It looks as though they may have it close to being back here soon enough.

I hope so, the years we endured from 99-04 were awful. The last three seasons we just kept improving and this year the Bulls are ready to put it all together. I foresee 50-60 wins and at least a Finals appearance.

Kevin McFAIL is the worst GM in the history of basketball...

just take a look at this clown's record...

http://www.sportszillablog.com/2007/01/the_worst_gm_in_basketball.htm

UNBELIEVABLE.. that this guy is still in office here.. what?? does he still think he's playing for the Boston Celtics..

Here' s a little know FACT!!

Larry Bird HATED McFAIL's guts!! couldn't stand the guy!! Bird once said Mcfail was an "awkward complete dimwit hanging on my heels" And this is why KG is gone!! I DON"T blame KG.. really,, but hell if I was KG I'd just would buy the fricking T-Wolves right out from Red's pocket.. it ain't like he doesn't have the money to do it.. and the first thing I would do is fire KEVIN McFail and hire me some talent... KG!!!!! Dayam screw it!! when does HOCKEY start? I'm done with basketball!!

I JUST BUSTED A NUT ....I AM A CELTICS FAN I BLEED GREEN AND I MEAN I ALMOST BLED TO DEATH AFTER LAST SEASON . I HAVE AND WILL FIGHT FOR THEM MOFO'S.I GO SEE MANY GAMES EVERY YEAR. AND I CAN SAY THIS IS HUGE FOR NEW ENGLAND , MASS AND THE CELTICS ....I THINK I AM THE ONLY CELTICS FAN THAT WEARS CELTICS SHIT EVERYDAY ,..........NEEDLESS TO SAY THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME (EXCUSE MY LANGUAGE)AND I CANT WAIT.....AND O YEAH ...GO PATRIOTS ;)

Guest [APC] 6ravity

Goat hit it on the head...

Subtract what the Celts lost, and they are no closer to winning than when they first started.

Ray Allen and KG are NOT enough to win a Championship.... it may get them the 8th seed, and a 1st round elimination (hopefully courtesy of Chicago).

6raVIty ]

Subtract what the Celts lost, and they are no closer to winning than when they first started.

Ray Allen and KG are NOT enough to win a Championship.... it may get them the 8th seed, and a 1st round elimination (hopefully courtesy of Chicago).

8th Seed, they play in the Eastern Confrence. There is no way they are less then a 3rd or 4th seed.

1. Detroit

2. Miami

3. Cleveland

4. Boston

It is clear to me that McHale is still working for the Celtics, err, the ghost of Red Aurbach....I for one am a C's fan and even with 3 all-stars in the starting 5 I bet they don't make it out of the second round. But it is nice to know that they have multiple GM's around the league cause Ainge can't do it by himself.

Guest KingJunk

I know this is a lil off the subject of KG but this kid Sebastian Telfair should have went to College and he would have been a MONSTERRRRRRR! I mean he had a few nice games with the Blazers but College ball would have done him some good.

Now for you Bulls fans Sorry but unless MJ is reborn as a 28 year old player the Bulls are never going to get past the Pistons in the Playoffs NEVERRRRRRRRRR! The Bulls still got some growing to do with all them KIDS and that old EX Piston Mr.Ben Wallace is getting old and slow on his feet.

Now for Boston they are NICE if the get KG but the downfall is that he is getting old too and if they are going to make any type of move towards a Championship it needs to be done in the next 3 to 5 years can they do I think so.

Now for my Detroit Pistons they need to stop all the CRYING and play some damn ball. I see more crying at there games then I do at Baby Nursery. Ohh and we got Mr.Big Shot back woooot woooot!

DEEEEEEEEEEE TROOOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT BAAASKEEEETBAAAAAAL!!!!!!!!!

Guest KingJunk

I WASNT SAYING CHAMPIONSHIP BUT I WAS SAYING WINNING RECORD (MAYBE)

AND SEBASTOIN TELFAAIR IS JUNK I COULD BEAT HIM...BUT HIS BROTHER NOW HE WAS GOOD AND BETTER THEN TELFAIR

Are you serious? He would be a better player if he went to college but to come from straight from High School to pro he was NOT ready but he is not JuNK!

6raVIty ]

They have Ray Allen, KG, an Paul Pierce. Three veterans with absolutely no one else on this roster who has any experience being a starter in the NBA. They have 3 rookies followed by a bunch of guys who have little to no starting experience in the NBA. Michael Olowokandi is ancient and the closest thing they have to a starter is Tony Allen. I foresee them making a little noise in the Eastern Conference, but nothing higher than a 4 seed. My prediction is a 40-50 win team who will go one and done or make it to the second round.

WHOA??? no one who can play...they all can play basketball we'll see come basketball season i dont have to back them yet..they wil do the talking when it comes time. AND THE EASTERN CONFERENCE JUST CHANGED TO THE NORTHEASTERN CONFERENCE.... ;)

peirce on the corner allen on the other corner garnet in the middle

shit they dont even need five on the court....lol

REMINDER-FOOTBALL BEGINS SUNDAY

Deutscher75 ]
-Mr.Wickwire- ]

8th Seed, they play in the Eastern Confrence. There is no way they are less then a 3rd or 4th seed.

1. Detroit

2. Miami

3. Cleveland

4. Boston

you need to adjust your seeding, Cleveland is deffinantly not a number 3 seed. Try more like 1 or at least 2

D

I can see the Bulls and Detroit having a better record than Cleveland honestly. Where did Cleveland really improve this offseason? The Bulls have added Joakim Noah who should contribute immediately and Joe Smith a solid veteran player. Add those two to the young core of players and Wallace and I think that is the ticket to a Finals appearance.