MLB Off Season News, Rumors, Trades & Free Agent Signings

Prane ]

I'm kinda speechless after that one... Joba is a solid pitcher and I am saying this as a non-yankee fan. This was his first time back to starting to starting pitching and he went 4-3 with 100 innings pitched, 118 k's and oh yeah an ERA of 2.60!! Yeah thats total garbage to me. ::)

Ok his numbers aren't horrible but they aren't great. He still hasn't established himself and hasn't proven he can be a starter. I just don't like people coming up saying he's great when he hasn't done shit the numbers may be ok but he still hasn't done anything compared to other pitchers, and he already injured himself as I recall, when he has pitched an entire season then talk about if he's good or not. Until then he's just overrated. ::)

Actually I don't mind New York, only in baseball. I don't like the New York Mets, and all those other teams with 150 mil+ salary.

When you set the bar that high, you guys have to win the world series. You might blow a quarter of a billion dollars in just a couple hours on two pitchers.

That's why the NFL is so great, because of a salary cap. There is almost a differnt competitor every year, except for like the Lions. But I just love it when I see a small market team like the Rays, the Angels and Twins own.

Tool_Minion ]

Since when is a 2.6 ERA not GREAT? I bet any staff out there would kill for a guy that can go 9 innings and maintain a 2.60 ERA.

I heard my Royals picked up Kyle Farnsworth for a 2 year deal. I love this guys attitude. I want some basehockey!

Farnsworth is inconsistent but he'll give it his all every day. I actually semi-liked him when he was in NY. DEfinitely would've rather had him than stupid ol' Pudge.

Neo_Unit001 ]

Joba + half those names are overrated garbage, the only reason they have names is cuz they are in NY. Joba hasn't done shit yet during the year he was talked about more then real talented home grown pitchers like Price and Lincecum. Now I guess I'm stupid to believe what pretty much all the NY fans are saying yea well bite me,You moron I never said because they signed CC that, thats the reason they would sign Johnson I just know how bad thier pitching is oh wait if the pitchings so good why offer AJ a 5 year deal and are in play for another starter yea ok Joba, hughes, and kennedy are good yea a good joke. See your a fan of the Yankees so no matter what your going to think that all the players are good and defend them so you can't really talk about it so take your team of AllStars and none existent farm club and go ahead and keep losing to Boston, and the Reys.

I also have a prediction for the yankees they will go after Manny Ramirez soon to show how much they believe in their farm system.

I guess you totally missed the part where I said the Yankees have people in their farm system that aren't ready for the big leagues. Yeah? yeah. Both Hughes and Kennedy weren't as ready as they thought they would be. By the way, Joba only got hurt because they tried extending him while the season was already in effect. Do you know how hard it is to convert from a set-up man to a dominant starter in a matter of weeks? Obviously, you don't. You also don't realize how dominant Joba was unless you watched all his games. Joba's ERA tells it all. He was EXTREMELY dominant as a starter, but had absolutely NO run support. He gave up one or two runs and got a loss because the team couldn't hit behind him.

I also guess that you don't know that as of now, the Yankees rotation is CC, Wang, Joba, Hughes, and whoever else they sign.

Oh, and I'm SURE the Yankees will sign Manny when their outfield right now is: Cabrera(Cameron)Gardner, Nady, Matsui/Damon.. you're right.. the Yankees will sign him. ::)

Yeah Churchy, the attitude is the ONLY thing I am actually HAPPY about. The fact that the guy will stand up for his teammates, pitch it inside, and throw down when need be. When you factor in his age (32) and the fact he spent alot of last season injured........

As long as he can bolster a winning attitude inside the clubhouse, he's worth the 9 Mil over 2 years IMO.

Mets aquire JJ-Putz from the Mariners...

Talent Evalutors : Best duo in baseball - 8th. 9th.

In a report for ESPN.com, Jayson Stark analyzes Omar Minaya’s recent bullpen additions, complete with a variety of interesting stats.

According to one long-time talent evaluator, who talked to Stark, nobody in baseball has a better tagteam than J.J. Putz and Francisco Rodriguez.

“To me, they’re the best,†the talent evaluator said, ‘and they’re not just a great duo, they’re a strikeout duo too. There won’t be many balls in play when those two guys are out there. As big as strikeouts are in the ninth inning, sometimes they’re even bigger in the eighth…The Mets can play a 21-out game now.â€

Guess you havent read about his agents saying he doesnt know if he will report to the mets cause his agent said he is a top 5-10 closer in the league.

Ryan madson is a better set up man then putz!!!

Mets you act like you just busted a nut or something lol jesus..lol

They havent even played a game yet this is on paper. Every year the Mets make move and mets fans say "omg this is the year lol" take it from me signing ppl dont mean shit until they get on the field or floor.

Hence the 76ers signing brand,marshall,ivory, ratliff and a few others. there good pn paper but totally suck on the floor lol

I don't follow the yankees but I do follow baseball and I think it's crap that they buy their players and expect to be good. I was so happy seeing them not make the playoffs. I'm an Oakland fan and I know we suck right now (rebuilding). But we are the best low budget team (again not now rebuilding). But we have raised to many babies that become greats. Just look at the Oakland AAA farm club. They have won 3 titles since 2000 when moving to Sacramento. As far as the yanks farm club goes, Oakland has been the yankees best farm club. You're welcome for Catfish Hunter and Mr. October...

boody ]

all i see is a bunch of crying in this thread lmao. dont be jealous everyone, its not even affecting your dollar.

COnsidering how much ticket prices at sporting events have jumped, I'd say it does affect us somewhat. :-*

• 2 weeks later...

The Giants have signed Randy Johnson to a one year deal, the team announced in a press release. Andrew Baggarly and Ken Rosenthal were both right on this one.

MLB.com's Chris Haft heard from a baseball source that the deal guarantees the Big Unit $8MM in 2009 and includes performance bonuses that could reach $2.5MM and award bonuses that could reach another $2.5MM. The AP agrees.

Johnson joins fellow-Cy Young Award winners Tim Lincecum and Barry Zito in a San Francisco rotation that also includes Matt Cain and Jonathan Sanchez. It's hard not to like the signing for the Giants; R.J. Anderson considers it a steal.

The Reds have signed Willy Taveras to a two-year contract according to Hal McCoy of the Dayton Daily News. The terms of the deal aren't yet known.

The 27-year-old figures to play center field and lead off for the Reds. He's stolen at least 30 bases in each of the last four years, including 2008 when he set a career high with 68 steals in spite of a .308 OBP.

sorry bout the double post this is where i wanted to post and my comp shut down for a sec.....

All of us who live in the real world where there are some rules as far as insider trading and sealed bids.

Our govt calls a foul if Monopolies emerge.

If one company tries to get a contract they do so with a sealed bid. This way each company has an opportunity to sign each contract. It brings a somewhat level playing to business.

The Yankees do the opposite. They wait until everyone makes their offers and then double it. This ability to bring basically every single free agent they want to their team has worked well for them, unfortunately if it continues it will leave 2/3 baseball cities in the cold for a long time coming. When one team has so many all stars they bring more fans to each game and make more money and continue to spend more money then all others.

Some would say the yankees being the lifelong dynasty attract fans to baseball. I would disagree. Using most MLB teams as a farm system works good when you have a yankee budget but, It will be the demise to baseball if not changed.

At least if they are going to keep the existing cap system they should at least go to a sealed bid system. This will at least give a few teams an opportunity to sign 1 or 2 of the high end free agents.

If there is any RAYS fans here you guys got a good player in Burrell! He'll get in slumps, but always breaks out of them! WHen he does watch out he goes on a rampage! He'll give ya 30-40 homers and 80-100 RBI's. Reason he only had 80 last season was cause we always took him out in the 7th inning. He is a very slow outfielder which im sure he'll be your guys DH.

Guess i'll have to start using my Burrell jersey as a work shirt lol

Burrell headed to Rays

The Tampa Bay Rays have reached an agreement with outfielder Pat Burrell on a two-year, $16 million contract, SI.com has confirmed. Burrell had spent his entire nine-year career with the Philadelphia Phillies, which culminated in the team's World Series triumph over the Rays last October. Burrell batted .250 with 33 home runs and 86 RBIs in 2008, his fourth 30-home run season. A leftfielder in Philadelphia, Burrell is likely to be the designated hitter for the Rays.

Tampa Bay is unlikely to add another hitter from the list of players they had considered, including Ken Griffey Jr, Jason Giambi and Bobby Abreu.

Milton Bradley Signs With Cubs

According to ESPN Radio's Bruce Levine, the Cubs signed Milton Bradley to a three-year, $30MM contract "with some options in the deal." Ken Rosenthal has a similar story, noting that the two sides have to "work through language issues."

Bradley, 31 in April, had a monster .321/.436/.563 line this year for the Rangers, but he spent only 165 innings in the field. This is the first multiyear deal of his career. If he stays healthy, the switch-hitter will give the Cubs balance in the middle of their order.

The Rangers will get a supplemental pick for their loss.

BIG_DADDY_RON ]

8 million a year to Burrell

That should help my CUBS get Milton Bradley for around 9.5 million a year, after we get him its time to sit down and work on getting Peavy. And with that team the Cubs have to make a deep run at the ws if not win to make me happy.

We aren't going after Peavy anymore. He would cost too much and our farm system would be destroyed.