My dell dimension 4600 desktop calls for this:

Pc2700 or pc3200 DDR SDRAM non ECC

Currently it has:

Dimm1: 256mb ddr pc2700

Dimm3: 512mb pc2700

Dimm2: 256mb pc2700

Dimm4: Empty

My Question:

My computer only reads 256mb ram when I go to check the properties of "my computer". I think the reason is because I didnt pair my ram like I should have. Not sure though.

I am going to get some more ram. What should I put in it. Should I replace it all and just drop in (2) gig chips?

Or should I keep the (2) stock 256 chips and ADD (2) GiG chips?

Don't buy anything yet!! It could be another issue!

This is what I would do.

Use 1 stick at a time in EACH slot!! It could be you have 2 bad sticks or it could be your motherboard!

Newer motherboards do NOT require pairing. Your setup should show 1GB. It does not matter if 4 is empty.

Make sure each stick is good or no good. If all sticks work while in slot 1 but not in 2,3 or 4 then your motherboard could be going bad.

Does that troubleshooting make sense?

hmmm. I never thought that there could be an issue.

The pc is the one Im on now annd it runs pretty good.. gets slow sometimes though.

I will try using the chips one at a time see what happens.... It says in the manual that if you only have one ship use it in dimm1 (closest to the processor)

The motherboard can handle 4gig total.

-Rooster- ]

hmmm. I never thought that there could be an issue.

The pc is the one Im on now annd it runs pretty good.. gets slow sometimes though.

I will try using the chips one at a time see what happens.... It says in the manual that if you only have one ship use it in dimm1 (closest to the processor)

The motherboard can handle 4gig total.

I am worried that it is not the RAM but I hope it is because it is the cheapest fix.

What you could do is check all 3 in slot 1. If they all work then add 1 to slot 2. If the system doesn't recognize it THEN it is the Motherboard. So if the 512 works in 1 and a 256 works in 1 put the 256 in 2 (512 in 1). If you don't see 768 then you need a new motherboard.

Yea if the board accepts 4gb total, you could go with up to four 1gb sticks.. i just added two 2gb sticks. (not sure if your board will accept 2gb sticks)

I just replaced everything in mine..

New - Motherboard, Proccesor, GFX Card, RAM, Power supply, etc..

Once you do your testing, let us know what your results are. ;D

well,

I pulled all ram out and put just (1)-512mb chip in and i checked it again and it says that I have 256 still. Is there another way of testing whats in there?

Alson, If i build a new pc...can i reuse my processor. I have a pentium 4 3.06GHz The mother board I want is http://biz.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3523225&sku=E145-2034

And If I can use my old proccesor.....can I also use just plug in my hardrive and have the OS work too or do i need to reload a OS?

-Rooster- ]

well,

I pulled all ram out and put just (1)-512mb chip in and i checked it again and it says that I have 256 still. Is there another way of testing whats in there?

??? Thats weird.. so it is reading that you have RAM, but it is only reading half of it..?

Are you sure you're checking the right specs..?

NOT your video card memory, or anything else. lol

Something is not right, but im no expert.

Chili-Palmer ]
-Rooster- ]

well,

??? Thats weird.. so it is reading that you have RAM, but it is only reading half of it..?

Are you sure you're checking the right specs..?

NOT your video card memory, or anything else. lol

Something is not right, but im no expert.

Agreed something doesn't sound right!

Your CPU has a socket type, that is what you need to find out what your kind is before you can use it on another motherboard.

To check my ram I do the folowing, Right click my computer, Go to properties and it is under general tab I believe. This says Pentium 4 3.06 and then says 256mb Ram No matter how much ram is in the machine. It says 256 if I have a 512 chip in and it says 256 if I have (2)256 and (1)512mb at the same time.

I am almost positive that my pentium 4 3.06 processor uses a 775 socket set and that is the same as the NEW motherboard I will get if I need a new PC.

This PC is a dell and is not very upgradeable. I always said my next one I wanted to put together myself for the learning experience and the advantages it will bring me. So If my shit is only using 256mb ram, I want to fix it or build a new PC using my old processor if possible. Make sence?

well that site shows that I have 512 installed which is correct. I am going to add the other 512 and see what it says. I am also going to do the battery bios thing.

But HELL, I am getting a new PC still because I spent hours looking at motherboards, but now I can take my time and get something real nice to build. ;D

Not that this is not possible, I have NOT seen this before, but when was the last time you formated and re-installed Windows? Maybe the hardware is fine but the software is Fd up?

Go Here

scroll down and download the latest version. It will tell you ALL about your hardware. Reinstall all your RAM and test it with this. IF it sees it all Windows may be the issue.

To me it sounds like your hardware is fine. Seeing that you have XP you can really only upgrade to 3GB of RAM. Get the RAM and while you are waiting for it to ship I would look in to upgrading to Pro. I would also consider backing up your data, formatting the HDD and starting fresh.

Sharkbait2 ]

Any thing dealing with ram, I would recommend http://www.crucial.com

What a jip.. lol

Your Crucial System Scanner Results

Scan Id: ADCC4C4531D926C3

Our System Scanner couldn't make a complete match, but we can still help you find the right memory upgrade.

Chili-Palmer ]
Sharkbait2 ]

Any thing dealing with ram, I would recommend http://www.crucial.com

What a jip.. lol

Your Crucial System Scanner Results

Scan Id: ADCC4C4531D926C3

Our System Scanner couldn't make a complete match, but we can still help you find the right memory upgrade.

lol, are you using an upgraded motherboard?

• 1 month later...

Ok guys UPDATE:

I can finally get into Bios mode. I ran a check on my harddrive. It failed sector 1-7 or somthing like that.

So I have a new hard drive....would that work, I tried just throwing it in and installing windows with no luck...it just shut down while installing. :-\