I have to agree with Maxi-pad here, I disagree with your suggested protein intake Tow. Those who are seeking to gain muscle and fast need to consume about 1.5-2 grams of protein per pound of body weight, along with similar ratios of carbs and healthy fats. That's the norm throughout the body building world, ask any hard gainer in the gym (the ones that look like genetic freaks) and they'll tell you the same thing. The human body will only absorb up to 63% of the protein you take in at a time, so the more protein you get in your system, the more likely your body will have all the necessary protein it needs to continuously stay anabolic and build muscle. It's like overloading to ensure you make the mark you body needs.

Drinking milk and taking a concentrated cranberry supplement like Cranberry 3000 from Wal-mart or GNC's Cranberry 1000 max will take care of the Kidney's preventing stones and such.

On the note of Muscle Milk, it's great for college athletes and it's great after a workout as long as you're bulking while trying to gain muscle mass. Muscle Milk shouldn't be consumed any other time, especially if you're trying to make lean gains. For those looking to lose weight, having 1 as a mid-morning snack is a great idea (NOT FOR BREAKFAST) because all of those calories are entering your body before noon, which means it'll give you a pick me up and your body will utilize all those calories during the rest of the day. You should only eat solid foods for breakfast EVER (Strick eat eggs!) and maybe supplement with a protein shake if you don't feel your protein requirements are fulfilled for that meal.

If you're really looking to build muscle mass and fast gains, you need to go with a more pure form of whey protein, muscle milk is great for tasting good, but it doesn't make the cut as far as what someone looking to make gains needs. It really was designed more for college and high school athletes who are always training though.

Isopure is good stuff Tow, but if you're carrying any water weight or feel bloated for hours on end after drinking that stuff, that's why. Isopure uses the same delivery technology as creatine to get into your system. You should look into Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey-Strawberry, if you're not completely satisfied with Isopure that is. It's mixes well with water and tastes great with water, also tastes great with milk, peanut butter, and a few ice cubes for a shake when you're bulking.

Lockdown,

This is all great info man, Thanks alot everyone. My goal at first was to shed some pounds. But I also wanted to build some muscle. I was thinking it is easier to turn fat into muscle so i should do weight training to get both objectives done. I run on an olyptical machine and Use my bowflex for weight training. I will be getting a Home gym pretty soon but set some goals that i want to achieve before I get that. To kinda give me more incentive to keep at it. If Im wrong in the thought of turneing fat into muscle is easier, please let me know.

I compared muscle milk to slim fast and was suprised that it seemed slim fast had more stuff in it then MM. Protien was lower but everything else looked better.

I quit smoking THE WEED and havent smoke a cigrette in 2 years. Now after quitting I put on a few extra pounds Id like to shed and then some. Now no weed...no crazy think im dieing while running spells ;D .

You cannot turn fat into muscle but you can lose excess bodyfat (which will accentuate your musculature.) If I could make a recomendation for a home gym/equipment: Free weights e.g., barbell, dumbells, and a chin up bar. If you can afford a power rack it has a chin up bar, squat rack, bench rack, and shoulder rack, some even come with dip bars. They are hands down the best piece of equipment any trainer can have (and they have safety bars)

You can pickup free weight equipment cheap at used sporting goods stores, and gyms.

IMO machines are not as efficient (not to mention functional) as free weights.

Here are some links for you

Power rack (Powertec): 500$ retail. has everything you need, and will last for ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ150A7bQEw

Olympic bar weight set (if I had to choose one piece of training equipment it woulbe be an olympic bad and weight plates (you can find cheaper used sets all over especially being in America.)

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00615739000P?vName=Fitness%20&%20Sports&cName=StrengthTraining&sName=Free%20Weights%20&%20Dumbells&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

and finally you need a program to follow. I use Crossfit.com for all my workouts/most of my info. Great workouts and great community.

Yeah you can't turn muscle into fat, but by increasing muscle mass you increase your overall metabolism which will help shed the fat rather quickly. This is done through weight training as it allows fat cells (along with continuous proper ingestion of water, 74 fluid ounces for every 90 pounds of body weight) to mobilize into the bloodstream therefore allowing for their transport into the digestive system for energy synthesis.

Also as far as weight equipment, Maximus hit it right on the head with his suggestions he knows what he's talking about with the equipment.

Another great website for all the information you could want on gaining muscle and getting lean with thousands upon thousands of workouts, tips, tricks, diet information, and a community full of members who want to see you succeed and will help you do it, check out www.t-nation.com (Testosterone Nation)

Crossfit.com(props on this one Maximus) and menshealth.com are both good choices

MAXIMUS666 ]

NO doubt Lock! good advice here. also here is a link you should listen to Rooster great piece of advice by one of the best strength coaches out there.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/wwrd/2009/01/what_would_rob_do_to_lose_10_p.html

I will give this a listen tonight after work for sure.

I bought some healthy stuff today, But I also picked up FLAX SEEDS. What do you take this with normally. Its Cold MIlled Organic Flax Seeds with Omega-3 & Omega-6.

-Rooster- ]
MAXIMUS666 ]

NO doubt Lock! good advice here. also here is a link you should listen to Rooster great piece of advice by one of the best strength coaches out there.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/wwrd/2009/01/what_would_rob_do_to_lose_10_p.html

I will give this a listen tonight after work for sure.

I bought some healthy stuff today, But I also picked up FLAX SEEDS. What do you take this with normally. Its Cold MIlled Organic Flax Seeds with Omega-3 & Omega-6.

i use to throw flax inyo my shakes, or oatmeal.

I throw flax in my shakes, oatmeal, I cook with them in stir-fry's with some avacado, toss a handful on a salad, bake them into bread after grinding them into flour (only done with raw flax seeds), and my favorite thing to do is mix them in with sunflower seeds, pecans, almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts, and cashews (all raw nuts, no salt) and I eat them for a snack.

MANY studies have indicated that the body can only "use" a certain amount of protein, and the rest is either put into storage ( fat ) or removed by the body through your waste system. For most, anything more than 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight, is pretty much a waste, and CAN be harmful to your body.

I took man courses in nutrition, and that is one of things I remembered most.

Tool_Minion ]
SEQUOYAH ]

"muscle" milk......LMAO! Thats all I can say right now! ;D

LMFAO, you are so GAY!

I didnt even put two and two together until I read your post.

HEY man...I didn't say anything about gay. I only quoted something. YOUR the one who was thinking gay thoughts..LMAO!

SEQUOYAH ]

MANY studies have indicated that the body can only "use" a certain amount of protein, and the rest is either put into storage ( fat ) or removed by the body through your waste system. For most, anything more than 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight, is pretty much a waste, and CAN be harmful to your body.

I took man courses in nutrition, and that is one of things I remembered most.

Protein is very unlikely to be stored as triglycerides in the body (fat) unless the body is not ingesting anything else like carbs and fat. But it can be dangerous to consume more than 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight over time. You need to consume that much consistently over a 20 year period to experience the negative side effects, but as dangerous as it can be, they really only suggest those levels of protein intake during gaining periods. During maintenance periods 1-1.2 grams of protein per pound of body weight is sufficient in order to maintain a muscular physique and keep the body lean. This is because a life-style diet high in protein will keep the average human 27% leaner than if they don't meet these requirements.

And I'm not challenging what you said Sequoyah just updating your input with the most recent research. Hope you don't mind!

SEQUOYAH ]

Who me? NOPE!

I meant Maximus Seq, sorry bro for not clarifying.

Undertow ]
Lockdown ]

Did you get my PM?

Just to be a bastard.

From now on' date=' when you see "PM," you're going to invariably think, even fleetingly, "penis milk."

Ok done. ;D

Magnificent penis muscle milk.

Ok, now really done. 8)

[/quote']

You WOULD be concerned with "Penis Milk" ;)

Thanks for subjecting my thoughts to the gutter you evil pervert! :-*

Undertow ]
Lockdown ]

Did you get my PM?

Just to be a bastard.

From now on' date=' when you see "PM," you're going to invariably think, even fleetingly, "penis milk."

Ok done. ;D

Magnificent penis muscle milk.

LMAO!! WTF???

Ok, now really done. 8)

[/quote']