Sony to recall SOCOM Confrontation

OH NO GUYS!! I knew this was going to happen if people kept complaining, but I can't really blame the complainers!!

:'(

"PS3 title, SOCOM: US Navy Seals Confrontation to be recalled due to Sony forum complaints."

gamefail.com

January 12th, 2009

By Abner Rice, gamefail.com

It's a funny thing, those message forums on the internet. What was once a video gaming industry where the producers, programmers and writers knew everything there was to know about making a video game, those days are now long gone. The folks on the internet forums know better than everyone that works in the industry and what makes a good game, and even more than you ever will. And the year of 2009 starts with those people with access to the internet to finally be heard, to finally get what they want.

For the first time in Sony's history, they will pull a game due to negative reception on the Official Sony forums. "SOCOM Confrontation" will be pulled from release and the servers shut down on January 16th for it to be re-released this summer in a "better" version suited to the constant forum complaints about the games's persistent lag, horrible controls and comparisons to "SOCOM 2".

"It wuz retarted and stupid and gay" wrote one 14 year old guy named on the forums as "I_Want_Moar_Lulz". He notes in one of his posts: "I was like, OMG wen I was lagging the whole time but I kept getting dead. Zipper should do this game cuz they rock!" In another posting by "NRAyouDigz", a poster commented "I noticed that the guys who did this didn't do SOCOM 2. Slant Six sux. So I have posted here and in 43 other threads the ways it should be like SOCOM 2 because it isn't from the same programmers. I went back to play this game not to enjoy it, but instead with a sheet of paper to meticulously write down every way this game isn't like SOCOM 2. Why? Because I have nothing better to do."

Sony takes comments like this seriously. Notes one executive (who refused to be named for following comments), "How DARE we make a game that people will take the time to negatively report on our forums! What have we done? According to our responses, we have made a horrible incomplete SOCOM game without Zipper, and we should be ashamed of ourselves! Well, it's time for a change."

The Official Playstation forum members will re-program, complete and distribute "SOCOM Confrontation" to their absolute satisfaction, with SCEA development director Seth Luisi working closely with such PS forum members as "Butterface4life", "Ohnoyoudidnt6969" and "PopPopGoesMyShotty". Sony promises the game to be less "gay", more complete and to have about 500 maps, so that they can add in all the requested things posted on the forums. Notes the exec at SCEA, "We can't go around making games that the PS forum members can't enjoy! We want to make a game where we don't have to come read threads with titles like "I liked it, but..." or "Incomplete!" or "My 12 year old brother could've programmed better than this!" You think we like to hear comments like this?"

Should the newly re-made game prove to be a success, this will be the start of something big, where people with internet access can finally become the armchair game makers they rightly deserve to be. "After all," notes the still unnamed SCEA exec, "The PS forum posters are the backbone of the gaming industry. They know what's perfect, what's not right about every game ever made. We can't sit back and let people enjoy games for what they are. We can't let programmers make the final decisions anymore. After all, these people with their keyboards know better than us, don't they?"

--end--

--January 12th, 2009--

;D ;D ;D

it's a joke guys

Chili-Palmer ]

They should though.. ;)

I flip-flop on whether my feelings on this though...

When the game is running really well, I love it-- even though it's mostly incomplete.

Other times, when it's craptacular, I wish they'd have just waited, extended the beta and released a complete well-oiled machine. Seems that SCEA greased the skids on this one and had it released before it was finished.

No need to see edit..

there is no Abner Rice.. @ gamefall.com or anywhere else for that matter. Curious though did that get posted at PSN forums..?

besides the last sentence's sarcasm gave it away..

"After all, these people with their keyboards know better than us, don't they?"

the dev's must love reading that... problem is when it comes to Socom they do know better.

Thanks god this was a joke I could feel the blood boil when I first read the post. This would have made my day even shittier, I have fun playing this it feels no different then the other socoms wait that is a lie it is better than the other socoms (I bet i don't hear the end of that) but I have so much fun the lag is just the same if not less than the other socoms so what it doest have some options that were never advertised on the box of the game just in the instructions

"I've only gotten to play socom 1.3 one night so far, so I'm not going to say anything yet. But some usability stuff aside, it was okay the night I played it. I think they need to do two things if they want people to keep playing:

1) patch stuff more frequently. Instead of keeping everyone in the dark for months on end and then releasing a freaking 1/2 gig patch that can never live up to the hype, patch every 2 weeks and just make small incremental fixes. The good will you'll garner with the user base when they see you are regularly working to make the game better would go a long way...

2) put out some damn maps. for the love of god there have to be 30 maps from all prior socoms that people love. i understand it'll take time to code 'em up and test 'em, but at least you know from a playability stand point that people will love any map from socom 1 or 2."

Those are two excellent points you made Goat.

With how long it took for the patch 1.30 to come out, the hype was reaching mythical proportions. It was supposed to be the end all patch for SOCOM. We got a few measly blog posts and tons and tons of speculation. In the end, the patch sorta delivered on most of it's promises.

I think they missed the mark on the "late join hiccup" though... that was supposedly being fixed in this patch.

And oh yes, more maps would be VERY welcomed. However, I think they're not going to release new maps until the game is "complete". I'm getting sick of the same 7 maps however with the new medley modes, at least there's a bit more variety in the medley rooms. They need to get rid of the larger maps for the 4v4 rooms though and stick to Xroads, Kasbah, Frostfire and DG.

If they would have waited to release this game, I think it'd have been worse than it is now because basically, we're playing a beta :P

I've been lurking on the PS boards and I am utterly convinced that no matter what /6 or Sony do, people will complain. People are already bitching about the grenades being too powerful.

As soon as I read this:

"It wuz retarted and stupid and gay" wrote one 14 year old guy named on the forums as "I_Want_Moar_Lulz". He notes in one of his posts: "I was like, OMG wen I was lagging the whole time but I kept getting dead. Zipper should do this game cuz they rock!"

I knew it had to be a joke. But you did get me for a second there. Very nice, I kudo you. ;D