PS3 Firmware 2.60 coming soon

After releasing the latest PSP official firmware 5.03 yesterday, Sony is rolling in with the punches. They've just announced that the PS3 will be getting its very own FW update (v2.60) soon. No specific date yet, but we do have a changelog!

* Guest access to PlayStation Store – This enables non-PlayStation Network members to browse through the storefront to check out the latest games, demos, videos, etc.

* DivX 3.11 support – Videos in this format can now be played on PS3.

But wait, there's more! The biggest thing for FW v2.60 is actually this new Photo Gallery application to be installed on the XMB. It's got tools and other functions which allow you to organize your pictures. It also has a slideshow feature. Here's Eric Lempel giving us a tour:

http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/d617c6ae

http://ps3.qj.net/New-PS3-Firmware-v2-60-incoming-new-Photo-Gallery-PS-Store-guest-access-DivX-update/pg/49/aid/128184

BigMoneyNacku ]

Weak. Why don't they work on the functionality problem the xmb has? Or how about the freezing ps3 crap. or the slew of other problems.

Well at least we know where /6 got thier business model from. ::)

The PS3 has dedicated ram or a (cell) SPU for the XMB. they CANT improve it too much more than it is now. which is why we wont see in game music for a lot of games.

Sw3RvE ]
BigMoneyNacku ]

Weak. Why don't they work on the functionality problem the xmb has? Or how about the freezing ps3 crap. or the slew of other problems.

Well at least we know where /6 got thier business model from. ::)

The PS3 has dedicated ram or a (cell) SPU for the XMB. they CANT improve it too much more than it is now. which is why we wont see in game music for a lot of games.

How can that be Swerve?! People have been saying that the firmware that comes with Home will fix all ps3/psn issues and make it comparable to XBL. :P

I am joking people. I know some of you miss these thigns sometimes. ;)

That's badass and excellent news. My stand alone Divx player plays every single VCD I have... while the PS3 wont play like 1 in 15 or so. And it sucks because it's usually a really good one. So now I'll be able to watch all the ones that i couldnt before on my own TV instead of in my sons room.! Sweet,!

BTW, is there a way to play videos from a little USB memory stick thing.? Like I got a USB 8Gb traveler stick and it has like 9 movies on it.. (WMA or AVI) that will play on the PS3 from disc but It says "no file" when I try to play them from the stick. What gives?

at3dave ]

That's badass and excellent news. My stand alone Divx player plays every single VCD I have... while the PS3 wont play like 1 in 15 or so. And it sucks because it's usually a really good one. So now I'll be able to watch all the ones that i couldnt before on my own TV instead of in my sons room.! Sweet,!

BTW, is there a way to play videos from a little USB memory stick thing.? Like I got a USB 8Gb traveler stick and it has like 9 movies on it.. (WMA or AVI) that will play on the PS3 from disc but It says "no file" when I try to play them from the stick. What gives?

Hit triangle and select display all in the movie section.

Yea its out now that was soon lol.

nah that dont work. I dont think. i will try right now.

Edit : ;D That absolutley does work and now I feel like a complete idiot.. at the same time though.. Im very, very excited about it b/c now I can save CD's for movies I actually want to keep and the ones I will only watch once I can put on my traveler sticks.. watch em, and delete them.

at3dave ]

nah that dont work. I dont think. i will try right now.

Edit : ;D That absolutley does work and now I feel like a complete idiot.. at the same time though.. Im very, very excited about it b/c now I can save CD's for movies I actually want to keep and the ones I will only watch once I can put on my traveler sticks.. watch em, and delete them.

Lol congrats.

NEO--X-- ]

MGS4 has been the only game to validate the purchase of my ps3.. aside from that... ive been dissapointed non stop by freakin sony....

Socom was supposed to be up there as well.. but we all know what a fucking disapointment confrontation is

i love this socom game....but then again it is the only game i have bought to

NEO--X-- ]

MGS4 has been the only game to validate the purchase of my ps3.. aside from that... ive been dissapointed non stop by freakin sony....

Socom was supposed to be up there as well.. but we all know what a fucking disapointment confrontation is

killzone2, also you never played LBP? resistance2? uncharted?

at3dave ]

On your USB memory stick make a folder and title it "VIDEO" -- all caps, no quotes and put your video files in there, now you don't have to use the triangle button. It should see the compatible movies straight away.

;)

Thanks Bizzy... that actually did work. Good lookin out guys.. the machine is once again proving itself to be worth what I paid for it. Even though the movies Im getting arent HD the PS3 does do the upconverting so they turn out to look pretty sharp.

And Now I dont even have to use a disc anymore? What.. thats fantastic!

at3dave ]

Thanks Bizzy... that actually did work. Good lookin out guys.. the machine is once again proving itself to be worth what I paid for it. Even though the movies Im getting arent HD the PS3 does do the upconverting so they turn out to look pretty sharp.

And Now I dont even have to use a disc anymore? What.. thats fantastic!

Yeah, the PS3 is pretty awesome. You should try ripping CD's with it ;)