Best Gaming TV??

Not sure what INPUT lag is, but you should notice a HUGE difference in the 120Hz, and how can she not like it.. what is it doing to make you switch it off..!? (I didn't know you could switch it off)

I'm not understanding how a crystal clear picture can be a bad thing & that you would switch it off..!!?? ???

Wait till you watch a BluRay movie in 120Hz.!!

Should be amazing.. "should be".

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chili-Palmer ]

Not sure what INPUT lag is, but you should notice a HUGE difference in the 120Hz, and how can she not like it.. what is it doing to make you switch it off..!? (I didn't know you could switch it off)

I'm not understanding how a crystal clear picture can be a bad thing & that you would switch it off..!!?? ???

Watch channels that don't broadcast in HD and you'll ee why you would want it turned down. I do the same thing when we are watching like Married with children re-runs or something. Hell even some of the newer shows look like hell too.

If you haven't watched a BD in 120 yet, you should be punished. ;D

Me and the wife just ordered a Vizio 37" 1080p LCD. Does anyone have any input on this? I hope we made a good decission. I originally was looking at a 42", but my game room isn't really very large and I felt a 37" is more suitable. I decided on getting it at Sears. I looked at the prices at Wal mart, Best Buy, Target, and Meijer and found the best price was at Sears at $699

Chili-Palmer ]

It gives certain shows a "soap opera" look and she doesn't care for it. I can put the 120hz on low, medium, high or off so it can definitely be adjusted. I haven't messed with the blu-ray yet because I don't have HDMI cables. I'm either going to hit Circuit City and snag one or two at a discount or just go to monoprice and pick up a few. As far as the imput lag is concerned it has something to do with the TV not being able to scale to it's native resolution and because a good number of PS3 games aren't in 1080p you get a lag effect. It's hard to describe but it gives me a headache and I can't react as quickly. The solution is "game mode" but game mode is too dark for Socom so I need to get a HDMI cable and adjust the source settings to ensure the TV reaches 1080p. Socom supports 1080p thankfully. Great, great TV that i researched plenty before buying so I know blu-ray will look amazing and once i get things situated gaming will be as well. In the midst of all my research I didn't research gaming on the ps3 specifically so my current issue is my fault. I got it WORKED out though. :)

• 2 weeks later...
MaluNYMets ]

I bought this one - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8955302&st=samsung+40&lp=4&type=product&cp=1&id=1216424111160 yesterday evening. I heard some bad reviews about the a650 so I decided to go with the a630. LOVE IT

Bad reviews on the a650? They're almost the same TV. The differences are the screen on the a630 is matte and the screen on the a650 is glossy. The a650 has more HDMI ports and a better contrast ratio. The a630 is a great TV but the a650 is the better of the two unless you want the matte screen. Pretty much the same TV so I'm not sure what "bad reviews" you read but those same reviews no doubt apply to the a630 as well.

EDIT: Great choice though. I was going to get the a630 until I started reading about the a650 and the better contrast ratio and extra HDMI port.

I read that too. BUt saw a lot of people complaining on bestbuy reviews and amazon.

Well I bought this TV because of all the "GOOD" reviews, I dismissed the few bad reviews as flukes. Well I loved the TV, then about a month into it the screen crapped out, still in the shop getting fixed they have to replace the whole LCD panel. They say it will be 3 more weeks till I get it back. I thought this was a good brand but I guess not. The TV will be in the shop longer then in my living room. I have called the service center twice, the first time to tell them the TV was broke, the second today to express my displeasure with the time it will take to fix the problem. My problem is that if this happens one month from buying this P.O.S. what will happen in 2 years. I asked if maybe i got a lemon and they tried to sell me an extended warranty. This really made me real mad, as if I was gonna drop a couple hundred more into this piece of junk, what a joke. If I could do it over I would not have purchased this set, I have learned my lesson never buy SAMSUNG. Hope this helps someone I hardly ever write reviews.

I bought this TV in August and it has developed a couple of red pixels. Anyone else has similar experience?

Just a little warning about their warranty policy. Samsung doesn't replace broken TVs even if they are brand new. I bought this TV and within 1 day there was vertical lines showing up. Within 1 week there were several different color lines. Samsung contacted a local TV repair to fix it and I was not impressed with the repair shop. They wanted to order a new LCD panel to replace it which would take 2 weeks just to come in. I was already out the TV 2 weeks. I said forget it and return it back to me so I can just return it back to amazon within the 30day return policy. I do not want a brand new TV that has been taken a part and possibly fixed correctly.

I purchased this TV and exchanged it because I had flashlighting and clouding all over the TV and in the corners, which made watching movies annoying. My second TV is even worse. Unless this TV has a break in period, which the manufacturer says it doesn't, and it gets fixed, i will return it. I wouldn't buy this again.

I bought the 650 and had problems with it 3 weeks after I got it the picture quality sucked. I returned it and got the 630 and had the best superbowl party of my life.

Rorbotron ]
MaluNYMets ]

I bought this one - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8955302&st=samsung+40&lp=4&type=product&cp=1&id=1216424111160 yesterday evening. I heard some bad reviews about the a650 so I decided to go with the a630. LOVE IT

Bad reviews on the a650? They're almost the same TV. The differences are the screen on the a630 is matte and the screen on the a650 is glossy. The a650 has more HDMI ports and a better contrast ratio. The a630 is a great TV but the a650 is the better of the two unless you want the matte screen. Pretty much the same TV so I'm not sure what "bad reviews" you read but those same reviews no doubt apply to the a630 as well.

EDIT: Great choice though. I was going to get the a630 until I started reading about the a650 and the better contrast ratio and extra HDMI port.

MaluNYMets ]

I read that too. BUt saw a lot of people complaining on bestbuy reviews and amazon.

Well I bought this TV because of all the "GOOD" reviews' date=' I dismissed the few bad reviews as flukes. Well I loved the TV, then about a month into it the screen crapped out, still in the shop getting fixed they have to replace the whole LCD panel. They say it will be 3 more weeks till I get it back. I thought this was a good brand but I guess not. The TV will be in the shop longer then in my living room. I have called the service center twice, the first time to tell them the TV was broke, the second today to express my displeasure with the time it will take to fix the problem. My problem is that if this happens one month from buying this P.O.S. what will happen in 2 years. I asked if maybe i got a lemon and they tried to sell me an extended warranty. This really made me real mad, as if I was gonna drop a couple hundred more into this piece of junk, what a joke. If I could do it over I would not have purchased this set, I have learned my lesson never buy SAMSUNG. Hope this helps someone I hardly ever write reviews.

I bought this TV in August and it has developed a couple of red pixels. Anyone else has similar experience?

Just a little warning about their warranty policy. Samsung doesn't replace broken TVs even if they are brand new. I bought this TV and within 1 day there was vertical lines showing up. Within 1 week there were several different color lines. Samsung contacted a local TV repair to fix it and I was not impressed with the repair shop. They wanted to order a new LCD panel to replace it which would take 2 weeks just to come in. I was already out the TV 2 weeks. I said forget it and return it back to me so I can just return it back to amazon within the 30day return policy. I do not want a brand new TV that has been taken a part and possibly fixed correctly.

I purchased this TV and exchanged it because I had flashlighting and clouding all over the TV and in the corners, which made watching movies annoying. My second TV is even worse. Unless this TV has a break in period, which the manufacturer says it doesn't, and it gets fixed, i will return it. I wouldn't buy this again.

I bought the 650 and had problems with it 3 weeks after I got it the picture quality sucked. I returned it and got the 630 and had the best superbowl party of my life.

Rorbotron ]
MaluNYMets ]

:D

Well take it from me someone that researched for 2 months via consumer reports, avs forums, c-net and anywhere else I could find on the internet the TV's are identical only the a650 has 4 HDMI ports, a 50,000:1 contrast ratio and a glossy screen. The a630 has 3 HDMI, 40,000:1 and a matte screen. Good choice and enjoy your TV.

Lots of units with four HDMI inputs..

Tos 42RV535U, Tos all of sizes in the XV535U series. Sharp AQUOS Series, Sony Bravia KDL series, and your Samsung A530.

On the contrast ratio.. that’s a ploy 50k to 1.. yeah but DYNAMIC not NATIVE.. its sort of like zoom ratio for a camera there is zoom and then there is digital zoom.. you want to know the NATIVE contrast ratio, you could give a shit less what the dynamic ratio is.

Like I’ve said with Sammy’s it’s a crap shot, I do hope you get a good one, because like was mentioned in another post, with Samsung if the unit doesn’t work right out of the box.. too bad its’ yours they won’t take it back.. which for me is reason enough to not buy their product

Goat ]

Lots of units with four HDMI inputs..

Tos 42RV535U, Tos all of sizes in the XV535U series. Sharp AQUOS Series, Sony Bravia KDL series, and your Samsung A530.

On the contrast ratio.. that’s a ploy 50k to 1.. yeah but DYNAMIC not NATIVE.. its sort of like zoom ratio for a camera there is zoom and then there is digital zoom.. you want to know the NATIVE contrast ratio, you could give a shit less what the dynamic ratio is.

Like I’ve said with Sammy’s it’s a crap shot, I do hope you get a good one, because like was mentioned in another post, with Samsung if the unit doesn’t work right out of the box.. too bad its’ yours they won’t take it back.. which for me is reason enough to not buy their product

However most stores will. In my case i purchased the 4 year protection plan from BB to avoid dealing with the company all together. I have the a650 and he has the a630 not the a530.

Yep and I would say that's a good choice for sammy's go with the stores warranted or extension plan.

For a dealer like myself, I can't do that. I buy straight from the manufacture or distribution center. Can you imagine doing a sports bar or something, you open up brand new TV's for mounting and you have to tell the customer, sorry six of your twelve TV's need to go in for repair..

They don't want to hear that shit, they want twelve tv's working on opening day. And I don't blame them, From a sound business point of view I simply cannot afford to use Samsung given the way they DO NOT stand behind their own product, Panny, Tosh, Sony, sharp.. all would immediately replace the units with brand new ones.. no questions asked.. given that why take a risk with a sammy..

Of course that's from a commercial point of view, for an end user it may very well be a good deal..

Goat ]

Yep and I would say that's a good choice for sammy's go with the stores warranted or extension plan.

For a dealer like myself, I can't do that. I buy straight from the manufacture or distribution center. Can you imagine doing a sports bar or something, you open up brand new TV's for mounting and you have to tell the customer, sorry six of your twelve TV's need to go in for repair..

They don't want to hear that shit, they want twelve tv's working on opening day. And I don't blame them, From a sound business point of view I simply cannot afford to use Samsung given the way they DO NOT stand behind their own product, Panny, Tosh, Sony, sharp.. all would immediately replace the units with brand new ones.. no questions asked.. given that why take a risk with a sammy..

Of course that's from a commercial point of view, for an end user it may very well be a good deal..

I'm not saying you're wrong on Samsung because I really have no idea. However as a company how can they afford to take that approach. If you open a TV brand new from the box and it doesn't work I can't imagine a company saying "tough luck".....especially when it's within it's 1 year warranty.

They aren't saying they won't repair it.. they will and honor that. But they are saying that is your only choice to have them repair it.. Doesn't matter if you just opened the box or not, it goes in for repair and does not get a replacement. Others don't do this. Its like I said the difference is is your brand new TV in your house or off getting repaired for six weeks right after your bought it?

I don't mean to rag on Samsung, but my point is the exact same.. How can a company do this? if if doesn't work right out of the box then give me another one right then and there.. Samsung is the only one that doesn't offer replacement within thirty days.. combine that with a high percentage of units from them that don't work from day one (Imagine that the one with the highest failure rate in first 30days doesn't offer replacement? goat figgur.. ) and I think you see my point.

I would suggest a TV from the Toshiba Regza series. I have had mine for about 10 months now and it has been flawless. I bought the 32" 1080p 120Hz (I had a low budget) and absolutely love it! I sit about 5-6 feet away from the TV and it is PERFECT for SOCOM. Not only are the Toshiba's the most reliable, but have some of the best prices! I got mine from www.newegg.com.

Guest [+30]PuddyTat

i have many many samsung lcd products in my house, have had for years, and have only ever replaced any of them due to upgrade, and have even givin the older items away and they are still working in other homes.

xPUDDYTATx ]

i have many many samsung lcd products in my house, have had for years, and have only ever replaced any of them due to upgrade, and have even givin the older items away and they are still working in other homes.

You've been lucky.. the flaws of Samsung aren't evident until you get one with a problem.. as long as they are fine then there isn't anything to complain about. It's when you get a bad unit, even one that is brand new that you gain a little insight into why I prefer others. I'm happy that you have had a good experience, I'm sure there are many others who have had good units from them. All I'm saying is from experience, and this comes from purchasing an average of 500 units a year from different manufactures, is that if a unit is inoperable on delivery than I expect a replacement, I don't expect to have to send a brand new unit away for weeks to be repaired. Every other company replaces the unit with a new one if the unit is defective. not Samsung. and for units that make it past 30 days yet fall within the warranted period Samsung is slow, and difficult to deal with for service. If you get a good one than its all good, but get a lemon and you can't even make lemon aid with it.. its too sour.

Its only an opinion however, take it for what its worth, my top choice for LCD is Tosh, next, Sharp, than Phillips, Sony and LG in no particular order. Samsung's low rating by me is not due to their product appeal.. they make a very nice unit for a good price.. if not for their poor customer satisfaction service I would rate their units high in terms of picture quality and features.

Guest [+30]PuddyTat

i also have 2 LG LCD's goat, and if you want cuztomer service they are hard to beat. i had a 50" plasma that lasted 4 months. i called em, and 6 days later a 47" LCD was on my doorstep, they unpacked it, loaded the plasma., and drove away, no questions asked. it was fast, curtious, and very good buisness.