Best Gaming TV??

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Size vs refresh rate vs cost

I agree 120hz is better than 60hz, and that’s also why the double hz rate is going to cost you quite a bit more. However, the difference isn’t so great as to be worth it in some cases. It all depends on what your priority is. I.e. the amount you’re willing to spend for what you will be using it for.. If you have to stay within a budget of 1300 then you are going to have to compromise somewhere along the line. Refresh rates make less difference the smaller in size you go, yet for gaming it goes without saying a higher refresh rate will be better. Of course!

Now you can get a 42†or lower with at 120hz for about what your budget is, or you can get a 46†with 60hz close to your budget, but asking for both is simply wishful thinking.

Personally I don’t need anything larger than around 40†for gaming, my chair is close enough and I’ve found anything bigger means I have more range I have to move my eyes to take in the field of view. If it’s strictly for gaming then goat with the 120hz but there isn’t any need for a bigger size that surpasses your budget. If its half gaming, half movies then goat bigger but save the cost of the higher res. again to stay in your budget.

Lastly the only thing I see wrong with that Samsung is it’s a SAMSUNG! Samsung’s have the highest return/repair rate of any LCD on the market. Keep that in mind. Once again as I’ve said before Toshiba leads the pack for LCD, Panasonic for Plasma. With the Tosh, their Regza series, simply blow everything else away.

Guest [+30]PuddyTat
IRISH BULL ]
MaluNYMets ]

The other two. Ones 32 for the bedroom. The other is in the living room 40. This is for my newly created gaming room.

I'd love to see some picks when your done. You have a entire room dedicated to gaming?

um, who doesnt???

Johnson30 ]

Goat what about this 46" REGZA at Walmart? Why is this so cheap?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10574582

I'm gonna guess...

- Not Sold Online

- Out of Stock Online

- Not Sold Online

- This item is being discontinued.

Plus its only 60Hz refresh rate.

I saw a 46" Samsung at Circuit City that had both: 1080p & 120Hz for $1399.

Never buy stuff from walmart its cheaper but also phased out material usually. Been in the stock room for years etc. Anyways I am a big sony/samsung guy. Toshiba. Hmmm let me check it out.

DO NOT BUY FROM CIRCUIT CITY. They had a 999 samsung for sale 2 weeks ago. The price now is 1499 then 10 percent off. LOL can you believe this? Best buy still has it cheaper for 999. What a waste of a store.

Johnson thanks for the link. Thats the second I got for that one. Whitesky told me to get the same one. Sweet stuff. The red light matches the ps3 red light LOL jk.

Contrast Ratio, number of HDMI ports and I believe the 630 has a matte finish rather than the glossy. I've been between the 630 and the 650 in the 40 inch for a few weeks now. I would be picking up the 650 in the 46 if it would fit in my entertainment center but because the 46 won't fit I'm likely going to pick up the 40. I will say this the a650 and the a630 are two of the highest rated LCD's on the market. They have dropped in price because the newest versions are releasing in March/April but unless you are a complete and total AV nut the current crop will be more than sufficient. If I were you I'd get the 650 over the 630 but the matte finish on the 630 will be a little better if the room you are going to use gets a bunch of light. If not go with the 650.

MaluNYMets ]

Yeah I am leaning towards that too. After I check out toshiba though. I have samsung and sony nothing ever happened to it.

Consumer Reports as well as a few Audio/Visual forums I frequent recommend the Samsung's 9 times out of 10. You won't find a better LCD for the money when talking about the a650 or the a630. I wouldn't even look at the Toshiba. My two cents.

Goat ]

Personally I don’t need anything larger than around 40†for gaming, my chair is close enough and I’ve found anything bigger means I have more range I have to move my eyes to take in the field of view.

Great point Goat..... This is a MAJOR factor in upper level gaming. I have spent a lot of hours with professional gamers (yes professional) and all play on a competitive level with smaller televisions. Less field scanning = less head movement.

WiZ ]
Goat ]

Personally I don’t need anything larger than around 40†for gaming, my chair is close enough and I’ve found anything bigger means I have more range I have to move my eyes to take in the field of view.

Great point Goat..... This is a MAJOR factor in upper level gaming. I have spent a lot of hours with professional gamers (yes professional) and all play on a competitive level with smaller televisions. Less field scanning = less head movement.

Hmmm. Never thought about it like that. Thanks buddy!