Best Gaming TV??

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the question about the Walmart Tosh.. yep Chilli hit in on the nose.. all of those reasons, last years model, 60hz etc..

on the forums advice for Samsung's. they are right and they are wrong..

Ok here's some sound advice, probably the best advice I can give you guys.. inside dealer information. It's not about the size, the model or even the manufacture. Its all about product assembly line stock rating. Stock class rating is why big house resellers can beat competitor pricing on certain makes and models for certain periods of time.

Across the board for all makes and models first year after sale service numbers are as follows:

Stock A 5-11%

Stock B 10-24%

Stock C 20-44%

Stock classifications are done at the factory, a slew of factors determine rating, minor scratches, minor or major soldering flaws, improper alignment of electronic components, etc etc etc.. the list is long.

There are also other stock ratings such as Refurbished or Recall/Repaired. Discontinued.. etc.

The vendor or electronics store doesn't have to disclose the stock rating.. the reason is the manufacture provides the same warrentee regardless of rating, Most time the managers won't even know the stock rating anyway.. But rest assured someone does. Discount stores love Stock C. they get even more of a factory discount when the buy in bulk.. Buy enough units of a factories stock C and they can charge way below competitor prices and make a healthy profit. Combine that with incentives like overstock, older models and such and well you get the point..

Back to Samsung: my opinion comes more from a wider view of the reliability of the product line as a whole, the difficulty in getting customer service from the manufacture and the huge lag time in repair orders. Its a crap shot.. get a good unit and you're happy as all get out.. get a lemon and experience the pain.

For Plasma..its Panasonic. Pioneer and Phillips come in next. Stay away from every other brand. With Plasma's The three P's are the one's that developed the technology everyone else just copied them. To tell the truth with Plasmas these days.. its' basically Panny (panasonic) as the only choice. Lots of issues with red drive polarization pixels, picture fading, etc.. with practically every other brand. Toshiba gave up even trying and no longer makes plasma's they have focused on LCD. Their Regza line got good awards last two years straight. That doesn't mean every Tosh beats every thing else.. Stock rate plays the biggest factor, next is model number and then product line. So to say Other sites say Samsung is best 9/10 well.. that's sort of ridiculous? Considering just how many factors such as model, stock rate, size, refresh rate, contrast ratio etc. etc. etc.. come in to play. Choosing a TV by only considering the factory brand is.. well sort of pinheaded. My opinions of Tosh come from selling a variety of brands, if the customer doesn't call me back and bother me because the unit I sold them isn't working then for me that's a good thing.. for LCD's in the given size range I would have to recommend Tosh, but that doesn't hold true for other applications, size restraints, use and other factors. If you think I was hard on Samsung, you should have heard me talk about Toshiba's Plasma's... They sucked big time.. I wouldn't sell a Tosh Plasma to my worst enemy, LCD's are a whole different story.

Damn.. you see what you did!! you went and made me make a goat post.. byotch!

LOL y/k amigo mad/luv from da goat.

Goat ]

On the question about the Walmart Tosh.. yep Chilli hit in on the nose.. all of those reasons, last years model, 60hz etc..

on the forums advice for Samsung's. they are right and they are wrong..

Ok here's some sound advice, probably the best advice I can give you guys.. inside dealer information. It's not about the size, the model or even the manufacture. Its all about product assembly line stock rating. Stock class rating is why big house resellers can beat competitor pricing on certain makes and models for certain periods of time.

Across the board for all makes and models first year after sale service numbers are as follows:

Stock A 5-11%

Stock B 10-24%

Stock C 20-44%

Stock classifications are done at the factory, a slew of factors determine rating, minor scratches, minor or major soldering flaws, improper alignment of electronic components, etc etc etc.. the list is long.

There are also other stock ratings such as Refurbished or Recall/Repaired. Discontinued.. etc.

The vendor or electronics store doesn't have to disclose the stock rating.. the reason is the manufacture provides the same warrentee regardless of rating, Most time the managers won't even know the stock rating anyway.. But rest assured someone does. Discount stores love Stock C. they get even more of a factory discount when the buy in bulk.. Buy enough units of a factories stock C and they can charge way below competitor prices and make a healthy profit. Combine that with incentives like overstock, older models and such and well you get the point..

Back to Samsung: my opinion comes more from a wider view of the reliability of the product line as a whole, the difficulty in getting customer service from the manufacture and the huge lag time in repair orders. Its a crap shot.. get a good unit and you're happy as all get out.. get a lemon and experience the pain.

For Plasma..its Panasonic. Pioneer and Phillips come in next. Stay away from every other brand. With Plasma's The three P's are the one's that developed the technology everyone else just copied them. To tell the truth with Plasmas these days.. its' basically Panny (panasonic) as the only choice. Lots of issues with red drive polarization pixels, picture fading, etc.. with practically every other brand. Toshiba gave up even trying and no longer makes plasma's they have focused on LCD. Their Regza line got good awards last two years straight. That doesn't mean every Tosh beats every thing else.. Stock rate plays the biggest factor, next is model number and then product line. So to say Other sites say Samsung is best 9/10 well.. that's sort of ridiculous? Considering just how many factors such as model, stock rate, size, refresh rate, contrast ratio etc. etc. etc.. come in to play. Choosing a TV by only considering the factory brand is.. well sort of pinheaded. My opinions of Tosh come from selling a variety of brands, if the customer doesn't call me back and bother me because the unit I sold them isn't working then for me that's a good thing.. for LCD's in the given size range I would have to recommend Tosh, but that doesn't hold true for other applications, size restraints, use and other factors. If you think I was hard on Samsung, you should have heard me talk about Toshiba's Plasma's... They sucked big time.. I wouldn't sell a Tosh Plasma to my worst enemy, LCD's are a whole different story.

Damn.. you see what you did!! you went and made me make a goat post.. byotch!

LOL y/k amigo mad/luv from da goat.

Great info. However as far as the customer service issues I plan to just get the 4 year Breast buy protection plan which is currently at 169.99 for 4 years. You avoid the headache all together at least until year 5. Most of my research has been done via avsforum.com and consumer reports. The Sammy's I listed were at the top of all LCD's in the mid 80's out of 100. Avsforum.com is a great resource if you are looking for more information Manu besides what was provided here.

xPUDDYTATx ]
IRISH BULL ]
MaluNYMets ]

The other two. Ones 32 for the bedroom. The other is in the living room 40. This is for my newly created gaming room.

I'd love to see some picks when your done. You have a entire room dedicated to gaming?

um' date=' who doesn't???

[/quote']

I don't. I have a gaming/living/playroom/rec room. lol

I would love to have a room completely dedicated to gaming. Put in soundproof insulation in the walls, 7.1, 50in on the wall. One of those cool leather gaming chairs, a little fridge, etc.....dare to dream. Maybe my next house.

I've got a buddy that buys his stuff from this site. Free shipping and no sales tax

(cept Jersey), sorry J-riteRNG187BritishBanana. Not sure about service or warranty, but i'm looking for a TV too. He's bought a lot of things from here and raves about it tho.

http://reviews.cnet.com/televisions/?tag=TOCleftColumn.0

Best buy protection plans FLAT OUT SUCK. A lot of my friends have ALWAYS had problem with their electronics and their computer get damaged, not fixed, takes them months to get back, its just a PAIN. If you want good warranties go to sears. You can get ANYTHING warrantied even after 10 years.

MaluNYMets ]

Best buy protection plans FLAT OUT SUCK. A lot of my friends have ALWAYS had problem with their electronics and their computer get damaged' date=' not fixed, takes them months to get back, its just a PAIN. If you want good warranties go to sears. You can get ANYTHING warrantied even after 10 years.

[/quote']

the way their old protection plan worked was bad, but the new "black tie" protection is pretty good.

Sharkbait2 ]
MaluNYMets ]

Best buy protection plans FLAT OUT SUCK. A lot of my friends have ALWAYS had problem with their electronics and their computer get damaged' date=' not fixed, takes them months to get back, its just a PAIN. If you want good warranties go to sears. You can get ANYTHING warrantied even after 10 years.

[/quote']

the way their old protection plan worked was bad, but the new "black tie" protection is pretty good.

Yea I don't know anyone that has a problem with the black tie protection plan. It's even rated pretty well from outside sources. It may be different with TV's but from what I've read it's pretty solid. ???

MaluNYMets ]

Guess whos back LOL. Thanks for the info bro. How does the toshiba look though? LIke when you look at the wall at best buy you always see the samsung and sony having better picture quality..

Don't even get me started on what resellers do for the show floor to get the unit they make the most money on to look the best...

You need to look at the back of the unit.... I suspect the one they want to have you buy has an HDMI cable to it.. the one they don't make much money on has a coat hanger.

One of my clan mates recently asked me what he could do to help decide.. I told him to take his PS3 to the store with him (that's right!!) walk in with your ps3 and hook it up the exact same way for each unit and look at the picture.. this way you know for sure exactly how it will look when you get it home. he told me the salesman at first didn't want to do it.. but the manager came out and said "sure no problem" My mate had them hook up his Ps3 to five different units before deciding... he went with a Tosh.. but he said the Sharp looked very good as well.

Goat ]
MaluNYMets ]

Guess whos back LOL. Thanks for the info bro. How does the toshiba look though? LIke when you look at the wall at best buy you always see the samsung and sony having better picture quality..

Don't even get me started on what resellers do for the show floor to get the unit they make the most money on to look the best...

You need to look at the back of the unit.... I suspect the one they want to have you buy has an HDMI cable to it.. the one they don't make much money on has a coat hanger.

One of my clan mates recently asked me what he could do to help decide.. I told him to take his PS3 to the store with him (that's right!!) walk in with your ps3 and hook it up the exact same way for each unit and look at the picture.. this way you know for sure exactly how it will look when you get it home. he told me the salesman at first didn't want to do it.. but the manager came out and said "sure no problem" My mate had them hook up his Ps3 to five different units before deciding... he went with a Tosh.. but he said the Sharp looked very good as well.

good thinking

I've heard good things about Best Lie's black tie protection plan, I don't heard good things about the so called "Nerd squad" service team. But the black tie deal seems reasonable.

For Robrotron:

AVS forums.. when AVS first started out it was a simple chat site for AV professionals.. then they made a “Gold†member program where you had to pay to talk behind the scenes with other vendors and such. Now days it’s a huge marketing site, devoted more to propaganda from manufactures to push their product, the site is filled with members that are really factory employee’s or resellers, etc.. they are going to post in the manner that best promotes what they sell. This is less relevant in the higher tier private forums for higher level members. I believe the regular sections are full of rep Trolls.

I was a gold member (of course) but I did not renew, the guy that started it had the right idea however these days he seems to be doing rather well with selling space on the site for advertisement and has been lured to the dark side. I’m sure he’s making good money off the forums.. Good for him, bad for the average consumer looking for reliable unbiased information.

p.s. I don’t mind Vizio’s their Evolution series has a great look, other models aren’t that impressive. But bang for the buck makes up for their lack of features other units have.

Goat ]

I've heard good things about Best Lie's black tie protection plan, I don't heard good things about the so called "Nerd squad" service team. But the black tie deal seems reasonable.

For Robrotron:

AVS forums.. when AVS first started out it was a simple chat site for AV professionals.. then they made a “Gold†member program where you had to pay to talk behind the scenes with other vendors and such. Now days it’s a huge marketing site, devoted more to propaganda from manufactures to push their product, the site is filled with members that are really factory employee’s or resellers, etc.. they are going to post in the manner that best promotes what they sell. This is less relevant in the higher tier private forums for higher level members. I believe the regular sections are full of rep Trolls.

I was a gold member (of course) but I did not renew, the guy that started it had the right idea however these days he seems to be doing rather well with selling space on the site for advertisement and has been lured to the dark side. I’m sure he’s making good money off the forums.. Good for him, bad for the average consumer looking for reliable unbiased information.

p.s. I don’t mind Vizio’s their Evolution series has a great look, other models aren’t that impressive. But bang for the buck makes up for their lack of features other units have.

I don't doubt that at all about AVS forums. However as I said previously the a650 is getting very good reviews across the board from various sites. Consumer Reports in particular rated the Samsungs very high, the highest of any of the HDTV's as far as LCD is concerned at least. Amazon the same thing, as well as C-net. I actually JUST got back from Best Buy. I picked up the a650 so I'll post a initial review and then another down the road after I've had it for a while. The price did go up since yesterday believe it or not which sorta pissed me off but they will price match up to 30 days after the purchase so I expect it to go back down. It went from 1249.00 to 1399. >:( still a pretty good price for what you're getting though. (40 inch)

Goat ]

cool! and yes I'd like to hear your review on the unit after a few weeks. Hopefully you got one of the good ones in the box.

I did get the Black Tie Protection plan so if it happens to be one of the lower grade models I'll be covered. Here is to hoping I got a good one as well. We thought about getting the 46 last minute but still went with the 40. I just didn't want to get a new entertainment center and I think the 40 is a good size for our viewing distance. The couch is about 8 feet from the entertainment center.

Alright so far with the a650...the LCD imput lag is driving me insane. I ordered HDMI cables from Monoprice but I may run to Circuit City and see how much of a discount they have on cables with the liquidation. I found via my research that the HDMI cables cut down on the imput lag but I need to mess with the source settings so the TV can remain in it's native resolution. Thankfully socom supports 1080p. The TV is great otherwise. The gf doesn't care for the 120hz but I've been switching back and forth and I don't mind it. I've yet to watch a blu-ray or a DVD for that matter but I'll probably wait to do so until after I have the cables. Any suggestions on the imput lag? Apparently the PS3 is a little worse in this department than the 360 because of the upscaling or lack thereof.