HD - 1080i, 720p, 1080p

What is the difference?!

I recently bought LBP and its only available in 720p, so it doesn't come in HD on my TV. I have a HD TV that only supports 1080i. I have never had an issue because most games support all of the HD outputs.

So, if/when I ever get another HD TV should I buy a 1080p or 720p. I mean, if I have a 720p will that not support 1080p. And vice versa. Or does 1080p pretty much cover everything??

Dude if your TV is 1080i then you should be able to play with 720p. The PS3 detects what settings your TV has and gives you the option of how you wanna it set up. Now if you just chose 1080i and thats it, then your PS3 will only play games that are 1080i in 1080i. Now if you play a game that is only 720p and your PS3 is setup only for 1080i then it will play in 420p, don't ask me why it just does it. You need to have everything your TV supports be the same with your PS3, don't set your PS3 to the max setting and expect everything to play that way because it won't. Plus you can barely tell the difference in 720p and 1080i.

DevilHawk34 ]

Dude if your TV is 1080i then you should be able to play with 720p. The PS3 detects what settings your TV has and gives you the option of how you wanna it set up. Now if you just chose 1080i and thats it, then your PS3 will only play games that are 1080i in 1080i. Now if you play a game that is only 720p and your PS3 is setup only for 1080i then it will play in 420p, don't ask me why it just does it. You need to have everything your TV supports be the same with your PS3, don't set your PS3 to the max setting and expect everything to play that way because it won't. Plus you can barely tell the difference in 720p and 1080i.

OK, thanks. So with my TV being 1080i, can I change the PS3's settings to make sure I get 1080i, 720p, and 1080p? Cause your right, I currently have it set to 1080i. Or do I have to change it when I load a game that only supports 720p?? (if that is even possible on the PS3)

Also, I don't have a TV that supports an HDMI cable. I am using the component cables, if that makes a difference in this discussion.

BigMoneyNacku ]

What he said. I have to manually switch one of my tv's down to 720. So you might want to check the settings on your tv. Usually a 1080 can be turned down to 720.

Is this possible in my situation without the HDMI?

Dont worry about the cable...As long as you have it hooked up with component cables your fine.

As for the other stuff:

When your TV says 1080i: That means thats the highest resolution it can do. It can do anything less then that and it can play any thing higher than that, but anything higher(1080p) will be dropped down in res. to play on your tv.

I just bought a new TV and my old one did not support HDMI either. While component cables are better than RCA's, HDMI, IMO, is better than component cables.

I use a 60 mhz HDMI on my satellite receiver and a 120 mhz HDMI on my PS3. I swapped them back and forth when I first got them and I can see s light difference between the two when playing games and watching Blu-Rays. But they are both, again IMO, much better than component cables.

BIGDANIEL ]

I just bought a new TV and my old one did not support HDMI either. While component cables are better than RCA's, HDMI, IMO, is better than component cables.

I use a 60 mhz HDMI on my satellite receiver and a 120 mhz HDMI on my PS3. I swapped them back and forth when I first got them and I can see s light difference between the two when playing games and watching Blu-Rays. But they are both, again IMO, much better than component cables.

HDMI is much better than component cables. Go to http://www.monoprice.com and order a set of 3992's they're something like 5 dollars a piece and fantastic cables. One of the biggest markups in consumer electronics is accessories and cables. I believe Best Buy for example has a 75% mark up on cables....

Alright..some insight from the bluntsmoker...

i used to work in video production and while working there i learned quite a bit about resolutions.. 1080i and 1080p are essentially the same thing .. its just processed differently. The end result is almost identical and most human eyes cannot see the difference if you have true signals. Think of it like .zip files and .rar files.. they both compress and create a container for the files.. they just store the info a little different.

As for component vs HDMI.. HDMI is the higher end.. you cannot achieve TRUE 1080p through a component cable.. has something to do w/ the way files are dealt w/. HDMI is a digital signal and carries digital audio and video... while component carries analog.

As for the tv setting thing.. i really have no experience or knowledge beyond my 1080p Sharp... which has auto select.. it changes when the signal does. If you have a 1080 tv.. i or p.. it should be capable of downgrading resolution, infact i have never seen a tv that didnt.. but again i have little experience beyond what i own. The ps3 setting thing mentioned above is crazy.. i cant believe it tards out when it should clearly be smart enough to detect that type of thing.. i dont remember what i have mine set to.. but when a game gets loaded it always views in 720 or above for me.. if this is not the case for some i can look into my settings and post what i have... hoping that it might help as a reference point for those who need..

I am sure others will have some light to shine.. but if i can help anymore please ask.. thats what i am here for.. ;D

inadub ]

i used to work in video production and while working there i learned quite a bit about resolutions.. 1080i and 1080p are essentially the same thing .. its just processed differently. The end result is almost identical and most human eyes cannot see the difference if you have true signals. Think of it like .zip files and .rar files.. they both compress and create a container for the files.. they just store the info a little different.

As for component vs HDMI.. HDMI is the higher end.. you cannot achieve TRUE 1080p through a component cable.. has something to do w/ the way files are dealt w/. HDMI is a digital signal and carries digital audio and video... while component carries analog.

As for the tv setting thing.. i really have no experience or knowledge beyond my 1080p Sharp... which has auto select.. it changes when the signal does. If you have a 1080 tv.. i or p.. it should be capable of downgrading resolution, infact i have never seen a tv that didnt.. but again i have little experience beyond what i own. The ps3 setting thing mentioned above is crazy.. i cant believe it tards out when it should clearly be smart enough to detect that type of thing.. i dont remember what i have mine set to.. but when a game gets loaded it always views in 720 or above for me.. if this is not the case for some i can look into my settings and post what i have... hoping that it might help as a reference point for those who need..

I am sure others will have some light to shine.. but if i can help anymore please ask.. thats what i am here for.. ;D

Thanks everyone, but before this thread gets highjacked to HDMI cables...I do not have a TV that will support an HDMI cable. I bought the TV about a year before HDMI was standard on TV's.

inadub, 720p is a step below 1080i? I always thought is was as follows: 1080i = good, 720p = better, and 1080p = best. Also, I have a 55in Mitsubishi TV. So it probably should switch automatically?? And, does the PS3 have a setting to recognize all three??? Cause I know its currently set to 1080i.

Didn’t I answer this in another thread a year ago? Probably? But anyway and dammit I’ll try to keep it to 100 words or less but I doubt I can… LOL

P vs I.. or progressive vs interlaced..

Look it up! No ok I’ll short summarize,

Interlace = scans the image in alternate order like row 1, 3, 5 etc. than 2, 4, 6 scan rate is half of progressive at 1/30th of a sec each line

Progressive = scans the image in order 1,2,3,4, etc.. scan rate is 1/60th of a sec per line.

I could go into more detail but basically progressive is better and gives a smoother more detailed image. Many would argue 720p is better than 1080i and I would probably be part of that crowd. When I had a 720p native television which does 1080i I unchecked the 1080 output of the PS3 and went 720p. On a 1080p native unit I go to 1080p output.

Short and done but there was another ?.. or highjack.. so…

HDMI vs component or for that matter DVI.

DVI and HDMI are the same thing as far as video.. HDMI however carries the audio with it but they both use the same encoding scheme.

Component delivers video as separate,, R,G,B colors along with the sync info (determines line or frame beginning points) HDMI/DVI uses (ok a big word) Transmission Minimized Differential, TMDS for short, the sync info is added to the blue channel, Red&Grn are separated.

Its Dig vs Analog, which one would assume Dig. Is better due to less signal loss and no errors, however that’s not always true. Sig loss is about distance anyway, for Home Theaters the short length means not much diff between the two. For long runs such as AV distribution, HDMI simply doesn’t cut it, once you get past about 20-30 feet that’s it Analog can go up to 200 feet and even further with amplification. HDMI signals don’t do error correction, when the signals gone.. its gone for good. Again for short distances and good cables this isn’t even an issue.

Another often heard aspect is Dig or HDMI doesn’t need to be converted like analog to digital conversion. But that’s not really true either, dig. Signals are not encoded the same way so they have to be scaled processed and converted (in a different way) just as much as analog. Dig to Dig conversion isn’t any better than Analog to Dig. Which brings us to the nitty gritty..

Its all about the equipment, the display and the unit giving the signal output which all depends on each of their internal circuitry.

So which is the best choice? There is no simple answer. Too many variables due the output source and the display being used. Trial and error is the only way, your DVD may look better with HDMI however for some reason your Sat receiver looks better using component? Etc. etc. etc.. HDMI cables aren’t too expensive so get one and compare the two then decide for yourself which picture looks the best.

IRISH BULL ]
inadub ]

Thanks everyone, but before this thread gets highjacked to HDMI cables...I do not have a TV that will support an HDMI cable. I bought the TV about a year before HDMI was standard on TV's.

inadub, 720p is a step below 1080i? I always thought is was as follows: 1080i = good, 720p = better, and 1080p = best. Also, I have a 55in Mitsubishi TV. So it probably should switch automatically?? And, does the PS3 have a setting to recognize all three??? Cause I know its currently set to 1080i.

on your ps3 go to display and then select comopent cable and then select all the modes your tv can handle ie. 720p, 1080i and then hit ok. After that the ps3 will auto adjust to the game, so if its 1080i then it will play 1080i but if the game is 720p then thats what it will play.

Note the ps3 will some times play a game that has 1080i capability in 720p don't ask me why it just does. Hope that helped.

DevilHawk34 ]

on your ps3 go to display and then select component cable and then select all the modes your TV can handle ie. 720p, 1080i and then hit OK. After that the ps3 will auto adjust to the game, so if its 1080i then it will play 1080i but if the game is 720p then thats what it will play.

Note the ps3 will some times play a game that has 1080i capability in 720p don't ask me why it just does. Hope that helped.

OK, so you can select multiple outputs? Mine is set to 1080i.

Thanks again everybody. Sorry, bout' all the questions. But I'm at work so I can't get to my PS3 for about another hour or two. But I wanted to know before I mess with it.

IRISH BULL ]
DevilHawk34 ]

on your ps3 go to display and then select component cable and then select all the modes your TV can handle ie. 720p, 1080i and then hit OK. After that the ps3 will auto adjust to the game, so if its 1080i then it will play 1080i but if the game is 720p then thats what it will play.

OK, so you can select multiple outputs? Mine is set to 1080i.

Thanks again everybody. Sorry, bout' all the questions. But I'm at work so I can't get to my PS3 for about another hour or two. But I wanted to know before I mess with it.

I think maybe that was the missing link.!!

OK, follow up. lol

I checked the 720p box on my PS3 and started LBP. My screen scambled up and then went to default blue screen. Same when I checked 1080p.

So now my question is, is it possible to only be able to view in 1080i? I'm guessing yes due to the age of my TV. Or is it a problem with my TV. Because from I'm getting here, is that if I can get 1080i, I should be able to get 720p.

This is getting me concerned because now the Resident Evil demo is not in HD. So I'm worried this is gonna be the common practice with new games coming out. I hope not, because I'm stuck with this TV for awhile.

Is this one of the first HDReady TV’s? if it is then it may be not even doing 720p and instead is displaying 720p as an option but instead is actually only 576p. *note that there is an unresolved bug with the first HD products where even if you have a HD ready TV, the display may still default to 576p (even if your TV is capable of displaying 720p / 1080i) a lot of people were effected by it.

If it has HDMI then I’d say yes you should switch to HDMI cabling. HDMI cable’s sync negotiation may help the unit properly decode the sync information better than the component lines.

Lastly I’ll say this again 720p is superior to 1080i, I don’t care how they list it in the Ps3’s display settings. Progressive scan over Interlaced far outweighs the added resolution.. Yes 1080i has more pixels but 720p’s refresh rate is DOUBLE that of 1080i.

Goat ]

Is this one of the first HDReady TV’s? if it is then it may be not even doing 720p and instead is displaying 720p as an option but instead is actually only 576p. *note that there is an unresolved bug with the first HD products where even if you have a HD ready TV, the display may still default to 576p (even if your TV is capable of displaying 720p / 1080i) a lot of people were effected by it.

If it has HDMI then I’d say yes you should switch to HDMI cabling. HDMI cable’s sync negotiation may help the unit properly decode the sync information better than the component lines.

Lastly I’ll say this again 720p is superior to 1080i, I don’t care how they list it in the Ps3’s display settings. Progressive scan over Interlaced far outweighs the added resolution.. Yes 1080i has more pixels but 720p’s refresh rate is DOUBLE that of 1080i.

I'm guessing yes. When I bought the TV, no HD TV at the time (I assume) had HDMI cable inputs. HDMI came out about 6 months later, I believe. So I guess I'm screwed. Well, hopefully they keep making games that support all three.

Well if that's the case than,

A) you've got more use of the unit than most.

B) Its not going to last much longer anyway

C) New units are much cheaper these days

D) Start thinking about how nice your new TV will be.

LOL, get all the use you can out of it, New units life expectancy is about five years so anything past that is just a bonus. It may be time for a new TV and if its not than it won't be long until it is.

Funny I remember my dad's old RCA console TV lasting 25 years... these days five is good? and they say technology has improved?? ::)

;)

Goat ]

Well if that's the case than,

A) you've got more use of the unit than most.

B) Its not going to last much longer anyway

C) New units are much cheaper these days

D) Start thinking about how nice your new TV will be.

LOL, get all the use you can out of it, New units life expectancy is about five years so anything past that is just a bonus. It may be time for a new TV and if its not than it won't be long until it is.

Funny I remember my dad's old RCA console TV lasting 25 years... these days five is good? and they say technology has improved?? ::)

;)

Thanks again for all your help. So, what should I be looking for in my next HD TV to avoid this problem in the future?