The Keys to Opening Lateralus

OK, so FacelessButcher posted this up on our forums.

We all thought (Tool fans that is) that Lateralus was OK; meaning it had alot of great musical composition, but wasn't the Tool we expected or waited so long for.

According to this cat, it's because Tool has played with our minds a bit.

http://forums.nightly.net/index.php?showtopic=18103

Read this article, then do the below.

For quick reference, this is how I rearranged the songs in My Music:

Go to my music, and make sure the entire album is in it's own folder.

Now drag and drop the songs in this order:6,7,5,8,4,9,13,1,12,2,11,3,10

On the left side, you should have the play all songs option. With #6 highlighted, select this.

Sit back, and see how far the rabbit hole goes.

Cynical2U ]

These guys are truely some of the greatest musicians in the world at any point I cant think of another band that would do something like this or even use the math to make their music. wow mind boggling. :o

Dude, do you wanna be my new BFF? ;)

TOTALLY agree.

atreyu lol pre wrist cutting or post wrist cutting ?? u like atreyu i bet u like chimera or trivium or maybe as i lay dying lol lol atreyu is terrible im not making fun of you i just think they are terrible ' im gunna start a band!" "lets name it after the most asexual looking character EVER in a childrens movie who rides a white dog-dragon named falcor!!!"

Im not a huge fan but am interested in what you guys are talking about so I might have to get the album.

My favorite bands are Atreyu and AFI a bit softer.

NBH, hit me up on AIM and I will send it over for ya.

And ignore Vic, he's mad cause his mom took his Dolly Pardon record when he was a kid. ;)

im not too sure who Dolly Pardon is. I've heard of Dolly Parton. n so what if she took my record i had to cut the habit back some how. a man can only listen to "Stand by your man" so much before he begins to question his sexuality and starts to watch Neverending story, while singing showtunes, giving youself the stranger and playing socom. i mean ask backlash he can tell you the best way possible to overcome such a terrible addiction.

xViCaRiouSx ]

im not too sure who Dolly Pardon is. I've heard of Dolly Parton. n so what if she took my record i had to cut the habit back some how. a man can only listen to "Stand by your man" so much before he begins to question his sexuality and starts to watch Neverending story, while singing showtunes, giving youself the stranger and playing socom. i mean ask backlash he can tell you the best way possible to overcome such a terrible addiction.

He's over it? Doesn't show. ;D

Tool_Minion ]

NBH, hit me up on AIM and I will send it over for ya.

And ignore Vic, he's mad cause his mom took his Dolly Pardon record when he was a kid. ;)

I don't have AIM anymore, Im checking it right now I think I might just download all their music to get a better feal for it.

As soon as I can spend more then a second on the comp, I got food poisoning and been at the toilet for hours.

Haha Vic its ok thats your choice. I didn't choose this band for their name I heard a few songs and liked them and I do actually have all their albums and EPs so I mean if you actually want to listen to their stuff instead of hating them cuz of their name let me know.

Also if you want to hear something more instrumental listen to the vitamin string quartets tribute to Atreyu its their songs except with a classical twist.

Guest [+30]PuddyTat
xViCaRiouSx ]

not sure why im doing this to myself, but..."stand by your man" was tammy wynette, not dolly parton.

xPUDDYTATx ]
xViCaRiouSx ]

not sure why im doing this to myself, but..."stand by your man" was tammy wynette, not dolly parton.

LMFAO!

Either way, we managed to hijack, mutilate, and take a dump on a ground-breaking and amazing thread.

Lateralus.

Rearranged.

Awesome.

OK, back on topic.......GO.

Guest [+30]PuddyTat
xViCaRiouSx ]

what i dont get is the sequence for the songs. its not a true fibonacci sequence. there are elements in the sequence that would make it correct, but the order of the numbers never follows the correct math to make it a fibonacci sequence.

look at the numbers carefully, its easy...6,7,5,8,4,9,13,1,12,2,11,3,10

6+7=13

5+8=13

4+9=13

13=13

1+12=13

2+11=13

3+10=13

not the fibonacci sequence, just a sequence created carefull;y by the band.

heres another intersting snippet i found on this album...

There are of course some "issues" with this arrangement. First, there's no explanation given for why we start with track 6. To be sure, track 6 and 7 on the album are very much a pair ("Parabol" and "Parabola," the second emerging from the first without a pause), so they should probably stick together, but why they start off things isn't really explained by the unknown fan. Also, if tracks 6 and 7 must stay together then why separate tracks 10, 11, and 12, three tracks originally conceived of by Tool as one very long song (the album artwork links these three songs visually as well)? The new arrangement also places the very strange "Faaip de Oiad" in the center of the collection. Not so much a song as a four-minute sound collage built around a supposedly real recording of an escaped Area 51 employee calling into a radio talkshow, "Faaip de Oiad" seems rather unusual at the apex of such a interpretively rich arrangement. But that's what makes this whole thing so intriguing: the entire Holy Gift arrangement is one giant interpretation, so it's not hard to continue the interpretation (as some fans already have) to be able to explain the prominent place of "Faaip de Oiad."

ok but its still not a fibonacci sequence cause a true sequence the sum of the two numbers equal the next or the subtraction of two numbers equal the next. of course if you take the numbers tye way you it would idealy work out to the # 13 but i guess that why theres so many holes in the equation/story. if we had all the answers we'd never question anything.

xViCaRiouSx ]

ok but its still not a fibonacci sequence cause a true sequence the sum of the two numbers equal the next or the subtraction of two numbers equal the next. of course if you take the numbers tye way you it would idealy work out to the # 13 but i guess that why theres so many holes in the equation/story. if we had all the answers we'd never question anything.

I think the sequence is easily found within the music, and they could not have track 1 2X could they?

So the next best thing; when each two songs are put together, they add 13 and the album sounds COMPLETELY new when rearranged, I can attest.