Socom.com: State Of The Game

State of the Game

Posted by SOCOM: Confrontation Online Team

This is a quick view into some of our plans for SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation, answers to some of your questions and confirmation of our commitment and continued support of the title.

First, thank you to everyone who is contributing to the Confrontation forums, we review the posts, collate the comments and use the information to make the game better.

Second, after the release of the 1.30 update the on-line player counts increased by 50% and the number of hours per player increased by 33%. SOCOM: Confrontation is the number one SCEA online title and we would like to thank everyone that plays. You are not taken for granted.

Upcoming Patches:

We have a number of patches planned to add functionality and fix issues raised by you (the community). The first of these patches, addresses a slowdown seen when managing large clans and a number of other functionality, stability and non-English language fixes. Also in the works are Clan Ladders, Tournaments and another community requested bundle of fixes.

So why the delay between patches? Why can't we address concerns more quickly? Why not smaller, quicker updates? The answer to this has a lot to do with the lengthy and necessary testing and approval procedure required before any patch can be deployed. This means that we tend to bundle fixes together to avoid multiple patches in test at the same time. A patch is usually deployed within 3 days of its approval, avoiding weekends.

Latency/Lag:

We are looking into potential causes for the severe latency (lag) which some users are reporting. Most users do not seem to have this issue, but we realize that it is a big issue for some users and we are actively looking into it.

We have already performed a lot of testing for latency (lag) under various network conditions on our side. However, we need your help to track down these issues.

If you experience sporadic latency (lag), please provide the following information:

* PSN User Handle

* Channel Name where latency occurred

* Game Name where latency occurred

* Game details where the latency occurred (map name [large/small], number of players, respawn on/off)

* Date and time when latency occurred (including time zone)

* Your Internet User Provider

Please provide this information in the forum thread here.

If you are constantly having latency (lag) issues, please provide the following information:

* PSN User Handle

* PS3 Model

* Is your PS3 connected via wired or wireless?

* If you are connected via wireless

* Are you connected via 802.11b or 802.11g?

* What wireless channel are you connected on?

* How many wireless access points can your PS3 see when you scan for a wireless access point under the System Settings/Network Settings option on the XMB?

* Please list the make, model and firmware of the wireless access point you are connected to

* If you are connected via wired, are you using a wireless bridge? If so, please list the make model and firmware.

* If you are using a router to share you internet connection, please list the make, model and firmware of the router

* Please list the make, model and firmware of your DSL/Cable/FIOS modem

* What was the date for the last time you logged in and observed the issue?

Please provide this information in the forum thread here.

Downloadable Content:

At this time, we cannot announce any plans or details for DLC. We will have more information on this in the future.

Discuss this post in the forums here.

Thanks for reading,

THE SOCOM: Confrontation Online Team

---------------------------------------

Now it looks like they are working to make the game better.

CDBS14 ]

hard to believe that it is the most played game' date=' next to that it seems that they want to fix the issues.

[/quote']

you missed the Online part CDBS, they said it is "SCEA's most played online title" which is totally believable and just another thing that slant six has done that zipper never has done and that is keeping us informed on what is going on with socom, I am a little dissapointed that DLC is not in the works right now, well at least they are not saying if it is or isn't I think that it will come out after a couple months after the EU realease of the game.

Cynical2U ]
CDBS14 ]

hard to believe that it is the most played game' date=' next to that it seems that they want to fix the issues.

[/quote']

you missed the Online part CDBS, they said it is "SCEA's most played online title" which is totally believable and just another thing that slant six has done that zipper never has done and that is keeping us informed on what is going on with socom, I am a little dissapointed that DLC is not in the works right now, well at least they are not saying if it is or isn't I think that it will come out after a couple months after the EU realease of the game.

well i think more than DLC the better news are that they are working to fix the issues.

My favorite part:

Latency/Lag:

We are looking into potential causes for the severe latency (lag) which some users are reporting. Most users do not seem to have this issue, but we realize that it is a big issue for some users and we are actively looking into it.

Most users do not seem to have this issue?!! Big issue for SOME?!! Are they kidding?!!! Then they want all your info becuase its our fault, not their servers. ::)

Cynical2U ]

its nice to see that they didnt follow zipper and not give a crap about this game.

heh.... oh yea. good thing they didn't follow zipper's example. like put out a game that's not riddled with major defects.

zipper did respond to the community, it's just that their games weren't so fouled up that zipper had to give daily briefs like slant 6 does to keep everyone on the hook until they finally get it right.

HogWild ]
Cynical2U ]

its nice to see that they didnt follow zipper and not give a crap about this game.

heh.... oh yea. good thing they didn't follow zipper's example. like put out a game that's not riddled with major defects.

zipper did respond to the community, it's just that their games weren't so fouled up that zipper had to give daily briefs like slant 6 does to keep everyone on the hook until they finally get it right.

And when they DID release patches, remember how HUGE the list of fixes was?

Xx-CHURCHY-xX ]

Do you? As I recall you weren't playing much during S3.

There is simply no comparision between the faults of Confrontation against the faults of any SOCOM game produced by Zipper. Zipper had minor faults that were corrected with patches, very few patches. How many patches has Confrontation had in it's first 6 months and more are still needed? And according to Slant 6, probably quite a few more.

I think this discussion would be better timed once MAG is released. Then we can have a side by side comparision of how a game should be released and how a game shouldn't be released.

HogWild ]
Xx-CHURCHY-xX ]

There is simply no comparision between the faults of Confrontation against the faults of any SOCOM game produced by Zipper. Zipper had minor faults that were corrected with patches, very few patches. How many patches has Confrontation had in it's first 6 months and more are still needed? And according to Slant 6, probably quite a few more.

I think this discussion would be better timed once MAG is released. Then we can have a side by side comparision of how a game should be released and how a game shouldn't be released.

Wait wasn't most of the problems on prior socoms dealing with hacking, stats glitches and such? more than technical and lag issues?

HogWild ]
Xx-CHURCHY-xX ]

Yeah, I guess you forgot that I played S3/CA for a year and a half non-stop, even when I was a POW, until UF went predominantly COD4.

If you read what I said, I stated that when Zipper DID release their patches, they posted a huge list of fixes that needed to be fixed. They didn't come out with another update to give us more medals for single player. They would release a patch and fix a ton of issues that NEEDED to be fixed.

And yes, CD, it was more about stats and glitching because all previous socom games never suffered from crazy harsh lag like Confrontation. The only big thing that would happen were the Server 9 or 39 (I forget) errors that would keep booting you off, and that didn't happen until after the map packs came out.

Xx-CHURCHY-xX ]
HogWild ]
Xx-CHURCHY-xX ]

Yeah, I guess you forgot that I played S3/CA for a year and a half non-stop, even when I was a POW, until UF went predominantly COD4.

If you read what I said, I stated that when Zipper DID release their patches, they posted a huge list of fixes that needed to be fixed. They didn't come out with another update to give us more medals for single player. They would release a patch and fix a ton of issues that NEEDED to be fixed.

And yes, CD, it was more about stats and glitching because all previous socom games never suffered from crazy harsh lag like Confrontation. The only big thing that would happen were the Server 9 or 39 (I forget) errors that would keep booting you off, and that didn't happen until after the map packs came out.

Well if you are going to parse words and sentences. What is there to say?

We were promised a better SOCOM experience. You are getting that? Slant 6 copied 3 maps. OK, that's SOCOM-ish. What else is comparible to SOCOM? Grenades that don't kill you unless they land in your ass? Claymores that don't work unless you shove them up your ass? Smoke that everyone can see through? Long load times, like really long load times? Your playstation freezing up for no reason at all? The mic, works or doesn't work depending on it's mood? The new NO SOUND feature where you can't hear anything but the mic? How about hit dectection being screwed with if you dare run? Back to grenades that you can barely throw outside of your shadow? Let's talk about reload problems? Let's explore quick 2 options? Let's talk about the TOTAL LACK OF CLAN FREINDLY OPTIONS of this game?

Did Zipper release a game that needed follow up work? Yes they did.

Did Slant 6 promise us the moon and deliver a turd? You bet your ass they did.