How do you balance gaming and your wife / significant other?!

Good question.

Me and my lovely wife have 4 kids. So basically, there is no time for each other anyhow. By the time we get done fighting the children to eat, brush their teeth, do their homework, go to sleep, etc. we are so fed up, we want to be alone.

This goes on all week long, then on Friday night I make 6-11 family night. I don't interrupt this for ANY gaming, unless the older kids wanna play guitar hero or TW09 when the lil ones go to sleep. Normally it involves a movie, and then they all go to bed, and I go to Mass.

Every other day of the week, well she has homework, or shows she wants to catch up on, so we really just leave each other alone. ;D

its hard to balance them both.first you have to have an understanding other.2nd give her whatever she wants,3rd,make sure you answer her when she is talking to you,while your playing the game,without these 3 rules of engagement ,you could end up rubbing one out for the rest of your life,and thats how i balance them both

I don't have a wife or kids but in recent months gaming has really taken a backseat for me. I'd much rather spend time with my girlfriend and my friends going out and having a good time. Thats not to say I don't have a blast playing with everyone here and my clanmates but you have to put things in perspective. Frankly when I look back on my life I don't want to see that I spent every waking hour becoming the best socom player or whatever. I want to spend more time with my family and my friends. After that and work whatever time I have not spent sleeping, I will play a game or two. Life is too short to spend it in front of a tv.

I don't know a answer to your problem, but I know that the older im getting the faster everything seems to be going by. My usual schedule is wake up clean up, walk my dogs, get ready for work then after work go to the store pic up whatever mom needs for dinner. I come home walk my dogs again, then either play some games or watch movies or computer work. The weekends are random lol.

Anothing thing is imma start school again.

It was very hard at first, but now we kind of have an understanding. She has shows that she likes that I don't watch. SO I go off into my world. It is tougher now with baby here. But sometimes she wants to play games with me. I still can't get the wife to come and sit with me, but that is OK.

I screw around on the computer more then anything right now, so it is easier for me to get up and help her if need be.

4 Nights a week is boys night here for my 4 year old and me. My wife is a RN and works the 7pm-7am shift in the ICU at the hospital. So when she has off we either hang out and do something, or she catches up on her stories she DVRs and I play something.

Life is GREAT! ;D

I'm in the same boat as most of these replies. She has shows I refuse to watch, so I play on those nights. Weekends just depend on what's going on, but we watch a few movies every weekend, and hang out during the day Saturdays. Sometimes, she will sit next to me plaing on her laptop while I play. She didn't used to, but the proxy chat makes her giggle, so she sits out with me fairly often. It helps that she gets just about whatever she wants. Especially with the house. The deck she wants me to build this summer should buy me alot of clan time. ;D

Since I'm a huge football junkie, Sundays are my day to do whatver, year round.

I make it a point to spend time with and doing things for the misses. On the nights the misses closes her store, it's SOCOM time. On the other nights we split, we make nights that are just for us. She knows that Friday night is Mass. and a couple nights during the week are my nights. But as a rule, we just kinda negotiate play time. And when I get tired of playing with my joystick alone, I make more nights "our" nights then "my" nights ;)

Someone posted...Answer her when she is talking to you while playing

That is GREAT advice. Man does she get pissed when she tells me something 3 times and I still didnt know she was talking LOL

KINGJUNK....LMAO...used that one before ;D

Like most of y'all she has her shows, Fricken Ghost Hunters, she watches at night after the kids are asleep. DVR is the greatest.

Recently I have gotten her to play a lil socom. She actually really enjoyed it and stayed up until 1am on a work night which is very surprising. So now when I am playing sometimes she will sit by and help call out the bad guys for me! Dont get me wrong though, she says she still hates that fucking game. My 8 year old also loves playing. He mainly plays with his grandpa/my dad/oldguy420 on the weekends.

How many of your significants have threatened to smash your PS3?

over/under 50% have had the threat?

Man I'm still trying to work out a good balance. So far I go home eat dinner then log on unless their is a war then I try and practice and eat dinner at the same time. (never goes well since this just makes her pissed). We just had a baby so the nights i dont play I mostly play with her so this does not help either....

Want to work out a system where war nights i can just play and other nights i can spend time with her until she goes to sleep then start playing.

Tried this before and it always seems to just fall apart.

My wife used to bug me about gaming or being on the computer all the time... So initially, it was difficult. But she works nights, so that's when I'm playing. Then I introduced her to WoW, so she'd have something to do when I'm playing my games during the day.

So when I'm not working on a project and she's off of work, we spend time together but if I want to get online, it's not a big deal because she's got stuff to occupy her time. Besides that, I make sure she's got all her shows downloaded, commercial free, so she can go watch what she wants. There's always a buffer so she's not just sitting there staring at me :P

Someone else said, answer her when she asks you something when your playing. I eliminated that problem by getting headphones, lol. So now she has to get up and tap me on the shoulder-- I'm only bugged for important stuff now.

But regardless, it's RL before anything online. So, she lets me play as much as I want with minimal fuss, as long as I don't ignore her wants and needs.

i play when she is working. or when they go to bed

but my son (21months old )likes to stay up late and that mean she stays up and by then i want to go to sleep (wake up early ) i dont play as much as i use to......especially now summer is coming im hoping to pick up business ad make some damn money........

family and life first and then socom.