The Official Killzone 2 Review Thread

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CplKoontz

The only thing I could see an improvment in is the mics....I would have liked to have seen it more like socom, but hey its all good.

ther server i was in earlier, it might have been me, but everyones mics were either choppy,staticy, or could not hear anything when it showed they were talkings.

GFX? hmmmmm i would compare it to watching a cgi movie:) wait wasnt that the first trailer? it looks better than the cgi e3 trailer they releases a few years back:), so it can be done.

but i still love socom, and will still play it...

L8er

Guest CplKoontz
UNCLE-SID25 ]

I believe K2 is a PS3 exclusive. ;)

yeah it sure is...they were asked once about why not make it for the xbox360, and they said the 360 could not handle the game...:)

Sharkbait2 ]

yeah, but until at least we're still on a ps exclusive :)

I meant huh as in wtf did he just say..? lol

UNCLE-SID25 ]

I believe K2 is a PS3 exclusive. ;)

yeah it sure is...they were asked once about why not make it for the xbox360, and they said the 360 could not handle the game...:)

I'm pretty sure thats not why it is an exclusive. lol

I was amazed that there wasn't a 20 minute install. I was waiting for that :P

My first thought after that Helgast guy stopped stalking was-- Aww shit, they used that gritty (or 'noisy') graphics engine from Battlefield Bad Company! :-\

That being said, the graphics are great, but there's a lot of popup at a distance (like in that map with the 4 bridges that traverse that canyon). You can see through walls in some parts of certain maps, until you zoom in.

The game plays more like BC:BC than it does CoD4. Even with the Alt. 2 controls, it still "feels" like BF:BC to me. Not a bad thing because at least you can talk to your team!

There's a form of proximity chat. If you're near another players, you hear them as if they're on your team-- through the chat channel, there's no directional information, like the ProxChat in SOCOM Confrontation. It's more like that eavesdrop perk in CoD4. In large rooms, this can mean chaos.

There's no online bots anymore... as someone mentioned, there were people rank and stat whoring with them, so they patched the game as a temporary solution. Hopefully, they'll bring back the bots for online practice.

The grenades are just... weird. They don't seem to go where you expect them to. They sort of zip-zag that last bit.

That being said, the game is great fun. The graphics are nice and the hit detection is excellent. I ranked up enough, to get the shotgun and the smg, and those are lots of fun. The smg tears people apart. The shotgun sends people flying when you blast them.

The death "sprites". I know they use real physics but they seem... delayed. There's an audible sound when you kill someone. I think that sound is so you know they're dead (mortally wounded) and don't waste ammo. Headshots cause their helmets to fly off and it's a very satisfying feeling ;D

So far, there's not a lot of people ranked up enough to choose a class. So you won't get a medic to revive you. However, the few medics I did come across, at least made an effort to revive you when they could. You get revived by their laser gun :P

Overall, the game is great. I had a bitch of a time trying to use the default setting, as I'd hit the R3 (Zoom) button when in a firefight and end up scoping in and dying.

The propaganda speakers can get annoying. I wish there was a way to turn the sound for just those off.

It seems that you cannot visit the Killzone.com website from within the game because the site requires Flash, and then when a game opens a browser window, it disables Flash, so the KZ site has a window from Adobe telling you to upgrade to Flash 9 because it thinks the browser doesn't have it. I think it has to do with some sort of memory constraint with the PS3 running a game, and a browser with Flash, all at the same time. Earlier today, the KZ site was down, and when you went to visit the site from within the game, it just loaded forever on a white page, and you had to quit the game to get out of that screen. It works okay directly through the PS3 browser.

You actually have to think about your ammo in this game. If you choose a weapon that not a lot of other people have, then you won't be able to walk over their guns and take ammo. You'd have to stop and take the time to pick up their weapon, and then your stuck with how much ammo they died with. The two guns you start out with are pretty lame but the ISA (human) automatic rifle is mildly better because the dot scope. The Helgast (alien Nazis) gun is more powerful at close ranges but has iron sites but better burst accuracy up close. You can pick either gun, regardless of whether your Helgast or ISA. You're stuck with their respective pistols though. It'll be fun leveling up to unlock more weapons and perks.

It's obvious that a lot of thought went into the maps, there's sneaky spots and cover spots, everywhere. Each side has their vantage points and counterpoints. While not being completely symmetrical (and boring) they've made each maps pretty well-balanced.

I like that there's automatic gun turrents at the main spawn spots, so that the other team can't spawn camp. Even if they're destroyed, the game respawns them and when you rank up and use an engineer class, you can build your own.

It's one of those games though, where if you just jump in a mixed room, you get a few guys that ranked up early and have more weapons and perks, and that can tip the balance off, if the room is not set to auto-balance. Or if you search for a game and not specify the search with a game with players around your level.

I haven't played the single-player campaign yet, so I can't comment on that.

Chili-Palmer ]
Sharkbait2 ]

You said that a lot of us will ditch socom for kz2, so I said that at least we ditched a ps exclusive for another ps exclusive and we haven't ventured into that xbox area. but I wouldn't expect an xbox person to get that ;):-*

After playing all night, I like socom better from competitive stand point. I really hate how the controls are in K2, maybe it's because I've got use to cod...idk

It's a fun game but the aiming destroys it for me.

Graffix are cool though. The guns aren't very accurate. It's really hard to kill someone who is far off and

moving at the same time. You have to lead them and hope you can put you crosshairs where he is going.

Overall, fun game. I just hate the controls.

mic-- ]

After playing all night' date=' I like socom better from competitive stand point. I really hate how the controls are in K2, maybe it's because I've got use to cod...idk

Graffix are cool though. The guns aren't very accurate. It's really hard to kill someone who is far off and

moving at the same time. You have to lead them and hope you can put you crosshairs where he is going.

[/quote']

Agree 100% about aiming.

Guest [+30]PuddyTat
MAXIMUS666 ]
mic-- ]

After playing all night' date=' I like socom better from competitive stand point. I really hate how the controls are in K2, maybe it's because I've got use to cod...idk

[/quote']

Agree 100% about aiming.

wow, leading a target, lol. sounds pretty realistic to me.

I came, I saw, I played. I love it.

similar but just different enough to be a very cool title. Much easier to control than SOCOM and the environments are top notch.

Only drawback, and it is minor...it defaults to 720P unless you "force" 1080 through the PS3 menue. Since I cannot really see the difference in a action game like this, I am already over it.

Great game. UF...give us a tournament!

CW21

mic-- ]

[/quote']

Kinda like in real battle, huh? Not that Ive been, but its seems there a simulation aspect to a seemingly aligned arcade shooter.

hm. i played the demo and i think its pointless to compare KZ2 and socom, socoms controls i do feel are easier so i gotta say i disagree with ya there ceedub. BUT i can easily see myself getting used to them overtime. graphics are very nice, and game play seemed awsome once you got used to the controls. i jsut wish the first few shots were a little more accurate, its annoying lining up the first shot on the head, only to miss by several feet it seems like. great game though, i kinda wish the "shot leading" was a little more pronounced like battlefield bad company.

Sharkbait2 ]
Chili-Palmer ]
Sharkbait2 ]

You said that a lot of us will ditch socom for kz2, so I said that at least we ditched a ps exclusive for another ps exclusive and we haven't ventured into that xbox area. but I wouldn't expect an xbox person to get that ;):-*

Dude, Jesus christ man let it go.. get over it.

Im not bashing anything.. you said something that didn't make sense, so like i always do i pointed it out.!!

The word until was a mistake, you should have deleted it, but thats ok keep trying to counter bash Xbox like i said anything remotely negative about PS3.. FUCK, good for you, you're true fanboy thru & thru, im sure Sony would be so proud. ::)

Chili-Palmer ]
Sharkbait2 ]
Chili-Palmer ]
Sharkbait2 ]

Im not bashing anything.. you said something that didn't make sense, so like i always do i pointed it out.!!

The word until was a mistake, you should have deleted it, but thats ok keep trying to counter bash Xbox like i said anything remotely negative about PS3.. FUCK, good for you, you're true fanboy thru & thru, im sure Sony would be so proud. ::)

I don't know the history between you two but it sure as hell seems like he was kidding around with the "wink" and the "kiss" smiley no?

Chili-Palmer ]
Sharkbait2 ]
Chili-Palmer ]
Sharkbait2 ]

wow, chill out

it was a simple joke, and i did not say once that xbox sucks or ps3 awesome. It just sounded like that with my second comment. I just thought it was weird that we just jumped from one exclusive to another (unlike cod4) since ps3 doesnt have very many exclusives to begin with. Sorry for "offending" you, but no need to freak out about it. You assume that I think xbox is the worst thing in the world, when I own one. So apparently im a fanboy even though I play both systems on a regular basis

Rorbotron ]
CDBS14 ]

hey just so you guys know' date=' you can play music while playing KZ2. from the XMB

[/quote']

Wow awesome. How?

I believe you just hit the PS button to bring up the XMB. Go to the music section and play the music you want that is saved on your harddrive. I'm guessing, because I haven't tried this yet.

But, can you do it while playing online or just the single player? If its like HVB, you can listen by yourself, not online.

Overall, the game is great. I had a bitch of a time trying to use the default setting, as I'd hit the R3 (Zoom) button when in a firefight and end up scoping in and dying.

I'm having the same problem. What setting fixing this issue??