Killzone 2- socom comparison

Okay, so I have been hearing alot about this game. I have NEVER played any of the kill zone games before.

In comparing it to socom, how is it. Good, bad...okay...better than socrap, or not quite as good.

Give me some details and what is to like and not to like. Online play good, controls, killing, shot detection.

You get the idea.

That’s a tough comparison… they aren’t the same type of game. Sure, they are both shooters but Socom is Socom, despite the problematic current version, there is only one Socom and by all accounts it is still in a league of its own. That said I’ll give this a try.

First lets put this in perspective, as we all know Socom stands alone in its success from the past by providing a game in which clan or team cooperation and communication is essential to game play ability in terms of team competition. Lets put aside the obvious flaws in the current release for a moment, Socom is unique in regards to an essential need for team work and team cohesion during game play. While many other titles include a degree of this no title emphasizes this quality as much as Socom. It serves to reward clans which comprise members that have played together for a large amount of time and have come to know each others style and methods. The result is it allows a team to gain victories by way of their association with their team mates and their knowledge of each others game play. This is a major factor why Socom is such a huge success in team clan competitions. I don’t think anyone can deny the benefit gained from remaining in a long established united clan comprised of members who have played together for months, years and even longer periods.

While this aspect can also be advantageous for a title such as COD4 in regards to certain game modes, the degree of this benefit is not as vast. The COD series doesn’t rely on it as much as the versions of Socom have. Sure it is a factor, I won’t deny that, I’m emphasizing the degree to which it effects competition outcome.

For Killzone this aspect more closely bears a resemblance to COD, again team cohesion is present and some importance is more relative to certain modes of battle. However Killzone’s re-spawn characteristic correlates to a run an gun slighter approach of apply force and attempt to increase the pressure on the enemy in order to secure a victory. While this can be seen as a method it is basically the only tactic needed.

So this important difference of principle technique in the style of each games conception equates in separate and unique aspects for those that participate and engage in each games recreation.

So much for the ideologist answer.

For the short more to the point answer.. Killzone 2 works.. Socom doesn’t or at least does sometimes but for the most part the current release is packed full of problem issues yet to be addressed.

Lastly my personal observance of difference is rather simple and straight forth.. Socom has crashed my PS3 and required hard power shut downs to reset so often that I’m no longer willing to risk putting the disk in for now. I can’t help but think the freeze up and harsh power interruptions are a devastation to the condition of my console. So far KZ2 has not done this even once.. that alone for me is reason enough to play the title over the choice of Socom.

Goat ]

That’s a tough comparison… they aren’t the same type of game. Sure, they are both shooters but Socom is Socom, despite the problematic current version, there is only one Socom and by all accounts it is still in a league of its own. That said I’ll give this a try.

First lets put this in perspective, as we all know Socom stands alone in its success from the past by providing a game in which clan or team cooperation and communication is essential to game play ability in terms of team competition. Lets put aside the obvious flaws in the current release for a moment, Socom is unique in regards to an essential need for team work and team cohesion during game play. While many other titles include a degree of this no title emphasizes this quality as much as Socom. It serves to reward clans which comprise members that have played together for a large amount of time and have come to know each others style and methods. The result is it allows a team to gain victories by way of their association with their team mates and their knowledge of each others game play. This is a major factor why Socom is such a huge success in team clan competitions. I don’t think anyone can deny the benefit gained from remaining in a long established united clan comprised of members who have played together for months, years and even longer periods.

While this aspect can also be advantageous for a title such as COD4 in regards to certain game modes, the degree of this benefit is not as vast. The COD series doesn’t rely on it as much as the versions of Socom have. Sure it is a factor, I won’t deny that, I’m emphasizing the degree to which it effects competition outcome.

For Killzone this aspect more closely bears a resemblance to COD, again team cohesion is present and some importance is more relative to certain modes of battle. However Killzone’s re-spawn characteristic correlates to a run an gun slighter approach of apply force and attempt to increase the pressure on the enemy in order to secure a victory. While this can be seen as a method it is basically the only tactic needed.

So this important difference of principle technique in the style of each games conception equates in separate and unique aspects for those that participate and engage in each games recreation.

So much for the ideologist answer.

For the short more to the point answer.. Killzone 2 works.. Socom doesn’t or at least does sometimes but for the most part the current release is packed full of problem issues yet to be addressed.

Lastly my personal observance of difference is rather simple and straight forth.. Socom has crashed my PS3 and required hard power shut downs to reset so often that I’m no longer willing to risk putting the disk in for now. I can’t help but think the freeze up and harsh power interruptions are a devastation to the condition of my console. So far KZ2 has not done this even once.. that alone for me is reason enough to play the title over the choice of Socom.

lol your like the Dr.Freud of gaming

Obviously the major difference is one is FPS and the other is third person. K2 has the best clan support and ladder system that I think any game has ever come out with and the best part of it is that fact that it works. Not only does it work it works perfectly. Tactically Killzone is better for the fact that you can break up into squads and team work is the ONLY way you can win a game. You can't just run around and think you can get a couple of kills and win it. Graphics are amazing.. no lag... you can set up matches.. and put down valor on it.. incentives to play the game.. prizes.. I think everything you get out of socom is in there minus all the bad things about socom.

Socom is more strategy and more realistic.Its more patients then run around going crazy. Socoms controls I feel are better simply cuz they are tight and are fast(to me that is).

Killzone 2 is all out respawn where you have to run around going crazy spraying bullets, rockets, and whatever else or if your CDBS camp by the ammo as you get a massive kill streak even if you lose the game lol. Its fun for a hectic respawn game but it really doesn't take much to be good. You kill a lot of people and get pissed when someone kills you with a rocket it reminds me of resistance but is more loose i.e. not as tight turning, aiming etc...

Socom over Killzone 2 any day.

Neoblackhound ]

Socom is more strategy and more realistic.Its more patients then run around going crazy. Socoms controls I feel are better simply cuz they are tight and are fast(to me that is).

Killzone 2 is all out respawn where you have to run around going crazy spraying bullets' date=' rockets, and whatever else or if your CDBS camp by the ammo as you get a massive kill streak even if you lose the game lol. Its fun for a hectic respawn game but it really doesn't take much to be good. You kill a lot of people and get pissed when someone kills you with a rocket it reminds me of resistance but is more loose i.e. not as tight turning, aiming etc...

[/quote']

BAM! x2

Neoblackhound ]

Killzone 2 is all out respawn where you have to run around going crazy spraying bullets' date=' rockets, and whatever else or if your CDBS camp by the ammo as you get a massive kill streak even if you lose the game lol. Its fun for a hectic respawn game but it really doesn't take much to be good. You kill a lot of people and get pissed when someone kills you with a rocket it reminds me of resistance but is more loose i.e. not as tight turning, aiming etc...

[/quote']

It takes skill to finish in the top 5 of each map. It also certainly takes skill in the clan matches so it's not mindless running around unless you let it be in my opinion. I think it's great but I've said that 40 times already over the 4 or so threads currently going. However as others have pointed out you can't compare it to Socom besides the Clan system being flawless and Socom...well in socom the clan system is pretty much non-existent but that's why we have UF.

I have to disagree with da goat on one item- On K2 if you play competitive you MUST use team work and heavy strategy in all games if you want to win. IMO it differs highly from COD in its strategy (as cod really has minimal).

On an average board say 8v8 here is what your clan will want to think about, plan and practice:

Who is going to do what- It K2 if you want to be a clan that can win you will need to identify who is going to to what. IMO this is what makes this different and better then cod or socom.

Rifleman:

The default multiplayer character is assigned when no primary badge is selected. A secondary badge may still be added. Riflemen can start with most weapons, except for the specialized ones.

Engineer:

Primary badge ability - Sets up an automated turret which targets the enemy

Secondary badge ability - Repairs ammunition dispensers, mounted guns, and automated turrets

Medic:

Primary badge ability - Revives downed team mates

Secondary badge ability - Throws a health pack, which can be picked up by other players

Scout:

Primary badge ability - Uses a cloaking suit to become near-invisible

Secondary badge ability - Tags all on-screen enemy players with a hidden marker, which broadcasts their coordinates to team mates

Assault:

Primary badge ability - Dons heavy armor twice as strong as normal

Secondary badge ability - Temporarily boosts running speed

Tactician:

Primary badge ability - Throws a coloured smoke grenade, which serves as a spawn point

Secondary badge ability - Requests air support from a sentry bot which targets the enemy

Saboteur:

Primary badge ability - Assumes the disguise of a randomly selected enemy player

Secondary badge ability - Throws a sticky, proximity-activated C-4 charge

Keep in mind maps are very diverse, ammo dumps, spawn points, turrets, etc, etc- Planning, practice and heavy strat are needed if you want to dominate... Then again I guess you could just run around and shoot people in open rooms if you dont like strategy.

UNCLE-SID25 ]

I have to disagree with da goat on one item- On K2 if you play competitive you MUST use team work and heavy strategy in all games if you want to win. IMO it differs highly from COD in its strategy (as cod really has minimal).

On an average board say 8v8 here is what your clan will want to think about, plan and practice:

Who is going to do what- It K2 if you want to be a clan that can win you will need to identify who is going to to what. IMO this is what makes this different and better then cod or socom.

Rifleman:

The default multiplayer character is assigned when no primary badge is selected. A secondary badge may still be added. Riflemen can start with most weapons, except for the specialized ones.

Engineer:

Secondary badge ability - Repairs ammunition dispensers, mounted guns, and automated turrets

Medic:

Secondary badge ability - Throws a health pack, which can be picked up by other players

Scout:

Secondary badge ability - Tags all on-screen enemy players with a hidden marker, which broadcasts their coordinates to team mates

Assault:

Tactician:

Primary badge ability - Throws a coloured smoke grenade, which serves as a spawn point

Secondary badge ability - Requests air support from a sentry bot which targets the enemy

Saboteur:

Primary badge ability - Assumes the disguise of a randomly selected enemy player

Keep in mind maps are very diverse, ammo dumps, spawn points, turrets, etc, etc- Planning, practice and heavy strat are needed if you want to dominate... Then again I guess you could just run around and shoot people in open rooms if you dont like strategy.

X2!

UNCLE-SID25 ]

Rifleman:

Engineer:

Medic:

Scout:

Assault:

Tactician:

Saboteur:

I agree. While at first it does seem hectic, once you get the hang of the game it really can be fun. This game works great out of the box.

The only downfall is a couch potato has a huge advantage over the casual gamer. The more you play the better you will be with unlocking different classes.

All in all I'm not sure if it will bring the hardcore SOCOM fan over, but it is a good game, definitely worth a play.

Neoblackhound ]

[/quote']

lol i was in that room al day, killstreak is 78!!!!!!!! ;D

The public matches are running and gunning; and that is some, other roomes do get tactical as people begin to use classes other than assault.

IRISH BULL ]

It seems that most of the SOCOM vets are just not fans of repsawn games.

If KZ2 was set up like SOCOM with no respawn of health regeneration, would that make a difference??

For me, it would make me consider playing KZ.

BigMoneyNacku ]
IRISH BULL ]

If KZ2 was set up like SOCOM with no respawn of health regeneration, would that make a difference??

I would guess that would make a BIG difference.!!

Also it sounds to me like KZ2 pubby's are like CoD HQ.? (run, die, run, die, run, die, etc..)

But in private it can be just as tactical, & use strategy as much as any game.! (including Socom)

Yep, to be fair I can correct myself. I can see the need for far greater tactics when a team is comprised of high ranked individuals.. when which badge and which player has put on that badge comes into play. My observations come from only a NCO rank as of yet. I will say this at that level in assault based games I run around like a madman spraying and praying and so far I've always been in the top points positions.

Also as a side note on the controls.. yes they are slower which I presume is why I'm doing well at the game.? With slow controls they fit right into my OLD man slow reflexes.. the boy on the other hand is not doing as well as I am in the game. He complains at how long it takes to turn around etc.. etc.. while the old dad just keeps killing fools.. LOL! I imagine as I get higher in rank and actually have to think quicker about quite a bit more that is happening the boy will pass me up. :(

oh well, I'll just live it up while I can and wait for the inevitable. ;)

Chili-Palmer ]
BigMoneyNacku ]
IRISH BULL ]

I would guess that would make a BIG difference.!!

Also it sounds to me like KZ2 pubby's are like CoD HQ.? (run, die, run, die, run, die, etc..)

But in private it can be just as tactical, & use strategy as much as any game.! (including Socom)

the pubbys get tactical if you play with people ranked general, with lower ranks it doesnt because well, they want to rank up.

Well, this help alot.

1. I hate first person shooters. The only one I played and liked was C.O.D.

2. I REALLY HATE respawn only. It defeats the purpose when you know you get another chance if you die. You play entirely differently when you know if you die, your done until the next round.

If there is not a way to turn off the respawn, I doubt I would ever get into playing it much.

Thanks for the info.

SEQUOYAH ]

Well, this help alot.

1. I hate first person shooters. The only one I played and liked was C.O.D.

2. I REALLY HATE respawn only. It defeats the purpose when you know you get another chance if you die. You play entirely differently when you know if you die, your done until the next round.

If there is not a way to turn off the respawn, I doubt I would ever get into playing it much.

Thanks for the info.

i dont think there is a way to turn spawn on or off. To be honest that feature would make no sense on KZ2, for example S&D the defending team will always win, no matter what. It takes several attempts to plant a bomb on KZ2 and you have to plant 2 bombs not one bomb. On game modes like search and retrieve the team that decides to camp the delivery point also wins no matter what because they will eliminate the opposing team without even trying to capture the objective.