Baseball Classic 2009 PR vs USA!!!

Yes, it is. The fact that USA just got mercy'd against ANY team is a shocker. Plus, it just shows how underestimated the Puerto Rican team is. 34 innings only 1 earned run.

USA just got a giant slap in the face by PR. Now they face elimination while PR goes to face Venezuela.

GO PUERTO RICO! Boricua!

Whats surprising about this. America doesn't got their best players playing. Lincecum and a whole list of American baseball talent turn down playing for this. If they would do this before spring training I think more bigger names would play but right now its just whoever wants to play.

Jeter, Jones, Youklis 0 for 9 batting 2-3-4 as DeRosa went 0 for 3.

If the USA wants to win its not going to be behind any of these pitchers it has to be a home run slug fest.

Not really. The USA still has a very stacked lineup when you look at it. Plus, there's no other time when this can be played. There's no way you can play it before spring training because it would take place during winter, and everyone knows there's no way you're gonna have your players playing from February all the way until October.

Just because there's no Lincecum doesn't mean that the USA has a weak team. The USA still has one of the powerhouse lineups, even if its not to the extent of DR or Venezuela.

Jeter, Jones, Youkilis didn't go 0-9 because they suck. They went 0-9 because the Puerto Rican pitching has been the absolute best in the WBC, without question. Peavy, Oswalt and Lilly are all good pitchers, two of them being proven aces of staffs. They can win with that team, they just have to make the right pitches and moves. Today, Puerto Rico proved they were the better team and established themselves as a fierce team (even more than people thought after the first Pool)

Yes you can have them play there is such thing as the winter league I know personally cuz I was following a lot of prospects and other players the caribbean teams are just finishing up when spring training starts. They definitely can play during the off season.

Like I said if they want to win it will have to be cuz of the bats.

I never said that they couldn't win without Timmy but you can't deny they could have had way better pitchers like Timmy, Lee, CC in the roster.

Pevy may be a quote on quote ace but he's done man, and trust me I have seen enough of damn Pevy over the years to know he may be crafty but just isn't there anymore, I saw him live more times then I could count.

Who said they sucked? I never said that don't put words in my mouth.

I know they are all great players and thats why its embarrassing seeing them get only like 5-6 hits they aren't representing the US right after talking about how they are out to redeem themselves for last time.There definitely could have been better players.

EVERY team could have better players. Ultimately, it's not the player's decision whether they get to play in the WBC or not. It's up the owners and the managers. Yes, some players do decide not to play in the WBC, but they've talked about a bunch of instances where the owner of a club told the player not to play in the WBC for risk of injury.

Yes, there is winterball, but that's played in the Caribbean where you don't have to worry about cold weather. The WBC is played in spring in other countries and then in the USA. If you decide to play the WBC during winter in the USA, the results are going to be a lot worse.

While I won't take anything away from PR, you HAVE to admit guys that USA doesn't have a 'Dream team' out there.

They did not send their top 9 players at each position, whereas PR has the best it's country has to offer. That doesn't mean that PR didnt completely dominate some very good players, it just means that it isn't as drastic to us as it would be to you. :-\

congrats PR.

You do also have to admit that a lot of the MLB's best players ARE from other countries. People like Wright, Jeter/Rollins, and Pedroia are the best at their respective positions (given that Chase Utley is injured). But when you go any deeper than that, you can see that hispanic born players make up the bulk of the MLB's premiere players.

Tool_Minion ]

While I won't take anything away from PR, you HAVE to admit guys that USA doesn't have a 'Dream team' out there.

They did not send their top 9 players at each position, whereas PR has the best it's country has to offer. That doesn't mean that PR didnt completely dominate some very good players, it just means that it isn't as drastic to us as it would be to you. :-\

congrats PR.

you know that there are 50 states in USA...

a population of about 300,000,000

and a lot of baseball teams and players

PR is one single island of about 4,000,000.

apparently you can have a dream team in the little PR island, but you have to search a whole 50 states for a USA one. you know how many PR islands can fit on 1 state?

i say its fair enough.

GO PR!!!!!!!!!!!

dont be mad at me, this are rarely seen moments that will pass on to history.... or at least i will remember them forever LOL ;D

No not every team could have better players beside the dominicans who else is out there from PR, China, Japan, etc...I don't see many good players that aren't already on their countries teams. Weather is no excuse to say you can't play look at the rockies and all these other teams that play in not great weather. Just like tool said its not a dream team out there.

Really lots of the players playing for their countrys are American grown lots are born here, but represent their country cuz of their blood. Yes there are still a few more players from other countries but not as many as the US has not playing.

I do expect the US to come back and win a few more games especially this next game vs the Netherlands but imma keep saying its going be on the bats terms.