Bears land Cutler

NGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Denver Broncos have agreed to trade disgruntled quarterback Jay Cutler to the Chicago Bears.

The Broncos announced the deal Thursday and said terms would be disclosed later. It wasn't immediately known if Denver got any players in return or just draft picks.

The Broncos were trading Cutler on his terms and there was no shortage of teams lining up to take a crack at acquiring the 25-year-old Pro Bowl passer.

Cutler had asked for a trade last month after his relationship with new coach Josh McDaniels soured. McDaniels had talked to other teams about trading his rocket-armed passer.

-----------------------------

Just in:

The Broncos will receive first-round picks in 2009 and '10, a No. 3 pick this year and Kyle Orton, the 'Chicago Sun-Times' reports.

The original source was false, ESPN is reporting now that:

To acquire Cutler, the Bears had to give up quarterback Kyle Orton and first-round picks in 2009 and 2010, a source said.

To complete the trade, the Broncos had to give back a third-round pick in 2009.

--------------------------------------------

So we gave up the #18 pick this year, a pick likely in the 20's next year (this SHOULD put us in the playoffs for damn sure and how far we go affects what spot the '10 pick will be), and Orton for a 3rd rounder and a franchise QB. I love it.

Jerry Angelo is AWFUL at picking in the 1st round, with the exception of a few good picks he has picked some fizzlers too. His strength, no doubt, comes in drafting in the 2nd round or later. A few examples:

Matt Forte - 2nd rounder 2008

Devin Hester - 2nd rounder 2006

Mark Anderson - 5th rounder 2006

Bernard Berrian - 3rd rounder 2004

Nate Vasher - 4th rounder 2004

Peanut Tillman - 2nd rounder 2003

Lance Briggs - 3rd rounder 2003

And the list goes on and on, while in comparison there are plenty of 1st round busts that he's picked with only Tommie Harris, Daniel Manning, Greg Olsen, and Chris Williams being worthwhile (Jury still out on Williams, but he is slated to start at Left Tackle this year if he can stay healthy).

Let's look at some 1st round busts:

David Terrell - 2001

Marc Columbo - 2002 (They gave up on him too early, but since he did nothing with the Bears he's a bust)

Michael Haynes -2003

Rex Grossman - 2003

Cedric Benson - 2005

I think the next move is to snag Torry Holt, who still has a lot left in the tank to give Cutler a #1 target to throw to.

Also I just read that the Bears are pursuing Orlando Pace, who formed a bond with Lovie (just like Torry Holt) back in St. Louis. The consensus is if they land Pace, they'll put him at LT and move Williams to RT. I think the Bears are putting it all together for this upcoming season, stay tuned!

boody ]

pace hasn't played a full season since 2005 :-\. the bears finally got their quarterback though, they're gonna make some noise this year.

He started 14 games last season though and a change of scenery (and getting off turf) should do wonders for him.

Prane ]

no Harrison he is washed up. Torry Holt would be nice but I don't want to ask for too much. Christmas has come early to Chicago!!!! ;D ;D

Holt won't be too expensive coming off a dismal year (blame that on the Rams porous O-Line and Bulger not being able to throw more than anything). He's going to be out there to prove he can still get it done and he's not very old either. That would make the most sense for the Bears as drafting wide outs has not really panned out for us. The exception to that being Berrian, who walked because he wanted more money.

Hannibal. ]

As a bronco fan I just got depressed. I loved Cutler and I think he was the closest thing to Elway and our biggest chance to get back to the SB!

Damn it pisses me off

As a Raider fan, I am ecstatic to see Denver lose such a great player. I can't believe the new coach started shopping their best player barely a month after he was hired. Cutler had every right to pitch a fit like that.

There is an article on the Denver post website quoting Elway as calling Kyle Orton "Decent". Was a pretty good read.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12060007

I think it's a pretty solid move for the bears. I think a lot of the folks who feel they paid too much don't account for the extra 3rd rounder they were awarded due to losing Berrian last year, and the fact that when trading for Cutler, Orton was no longer needed anyway. So it really boils down to the two first round picks. Yes, they will be missed, but ask any Bears fan if they'd trade those picks for the end of a 25 year cycle of QB suck-ness, and you'd get far more yay's than nay's.