MLB 2009 Season Predictions

Wow...That 'fodder' known as the A's really put a beat down on Hochevar tonight and the Royals as they are up 12-1 in the bottom of the 5th. Hochevar only lasted 2 innings, giving up 7 hits, walking 2, and surrendering 8 runs with only 1 strikeout. :-X

BacklasH ]

Wow...That 'fodder' known as the A's really put a beat down on Hochevar tonight and the Royals as they are up 12-1 in the bottom of the 5th. Hochevar only lasted 2 innings, giving up 7 hits, walking 2, and surrendering 8 runs with only 1 strikeout. :-X

I saw this coming. Even though he is tearing up AAA he is still a noob in the majors. He didn't even have a chance.

Tool_Minion ]

I'm hoping it was more a 'just their night' thing.........but what does THAT do for your confidence?!

I know right. KC's bullpen still needs A LOT of work. Their middle relievers are just atrocious. That is the only reason Banni lost the other day. Middle reliever blew a 3 run lead.

And soria is a decent closer but he is injury prone. The starters are getting much better though

BacklasH ]

It's early still, but the standings do look very interesting lol. I'm going to wait until June though to start giving official consideration to teams like the Mariners, Jays, Cardinals, and Marlins. My bet is only 1 is still in 1st come June 1st.

Just going to throw this out there, although it's not even half way to June 1st yet LOL. Mariners now in 3rd place in the AL West; Blue Jays were 1 game up in the AL East coming into today (they lost and Boston is losing); Cardinals are in a tie for 1st with the Brew in the NL Central, while the Cubbies and Reds are 1/2 game back; Marlins are 4th in the NL East.

Tool_Minion ]

Red, didnt know you were a fellow Royals fan.

Well they got swept for the first time this season, and it was some tough games to swallow. It says to me that while they have made tremendous strides to bolster this squad, it's still a year or two away. That being said, we got the A's coming up, and they are perfect fodder to get a team back into it.

Also, Luke Hocheaver was called up and Soria was put on the 15 day DL. Luke has been SMOKING in AAA. I hope he can transfer it over.

Lol. That fodder dropped 19 runs of of 20 hits!! What say you?? =P

My A's are slowly starting to turn it around. It's just a matter of time before we climb to the top.

The strength, top to bottom, of the NL Central has surprised the hell out of me so far this year. 4(!!) teams at 20-14 or better, and the 'stros have been turning it on as of late as well. Even the last place Pirates have a starting Staff that makes any series with them a tough one. Cincy may have the best starting pitching in MLB. They're top 3 (Cueto, Harang, Volquez) are about as good as you'll find anywhere. It's going to a fun division to watch all summer.

• 3 weeks later...

Time for our June update!

AL EAST

1. New York Yankees (32-22)

2. Boston Red Sox (-0.5)**WC**

3. Toronto Blue Jays (-2.5)

4. Tampa Bay Rays (-5.0)

5. Baltimore Orioles (-8.5)

AL CENTRAL

1. Detroit Tigers (28-25)

2. Minnesota Twins (-1.5)

3. Chicago White Sox (-3.5)

4. Kansas City Royals (-5.5)

5. Cleveland Indians (-6.0)

AL WEST

1. Texas Rangers (32-22)

2. Los Angeles Angels (-3.5)

3. Seattle Mariners (-6.5)

4. Oakland Athletics (-8.5)

AL MVP Candidates: E. Longoria, I. Kinsler, J. Bay, J. Mauer, A. Lind, K. Youkilis

AL CY Young Candidates: Z. Greinke, R. Halladay, J.Verlander

AL ROTM Candidates: Rick Porcello (DET), Travis Snyder (TOR), Elvis Andrus (TEX)

AL Manager of the Month: Jim Leyland (DET), Joe Girardi (NYY), Ron Washington (TEX)

NL EAST

1. Philadelphia Phillies (32-21)

2. New York Mets (-3.0)

3. Atlanta Braves (-6.0)

4. Florida Marlins (-7.5)

5. Washington Nationals (-18.0)

NL CENTRAL

1. Milwaukee Brewers (32-23)

2. St. Louis Cardinals (-1.0) **WC**

3. Chicago Cubs (-3.5)

3. Cincinnati Reds (-3.5)

5. Pittsburgh Pirates (-6.5)

6. Houston Astros (-7.0)

NL WEST

1. Los Angeles Dodgers (38-19)

2. San Francisco Giants (-8.0)

3. San Diego Padres (-11.5)

4. Arizona Diamondbacks (-13.0)

5. Colorado Rockies (-14.5)

NL MVP Candidates: A. Pujols, A. Gonzalez, C. Utley, R. Ibanez, R. Howard, C. Beltran, P. Fielder, R. Braun

NL CY Young Candidates: J. Santana, D. Haren, C. Billingsley, Y. Gallardo, T. Lincecum, M. Cain

NL ROTM: Jordan Zimmerman (WSH), Dexter Fowler (COL)

NL Manager of the Month: Ken Macha(MIL), Joe Torre (LAD), Charlie Manuel (PHI)

You still think Tims got a chance for a back to back Cy young? I would love to see it but he doesn't have his best right now, bronchitis really messed him up this year. Matts finally making people look haha I been saying it since before last season, give him run support and he can win. Im still hoping the Giants bring up Buster to give us a glimpse of our future catcher they say he can bang.

I've been saying it too about Cain. He's had the stuff, but never got the run support. He finally is getting the support and trying not to strike everybody out, thus he is lasting longer in games. He's a legit contender for the Cy if he keeps up this pace at 7-1 with a 2.27 ERA.

• 1 month later...

No doubt we've severely underachieved, but you have to look at our injuries. We have only started our projected opening day lineup TWICE. Once on opening day and the other earlier this month. For us to be able to take over 1st place in the ladder portion of July is huge after playing .500 ball until this hot streak. Aramis Ramirez's return has been a huge morale boost and he is starting to get his stroke back. He makes everyone in that lineup exponentially better and more comfortable. When Soto comes back it will just aid this already clicking offense, if you recall he was on fire when he went down. The bench players are really contributing too. Jake Fox can absolutely RAKE, he hit .409 with 17 home runs, 53 rbi and a .495 OBP in 45 games at AAA Iowa. Since coming up he has made the most of his at bats too, though I don't understand why Lou won't put him behind the plate, Koyie Hill is flat out awful with the bat. Even spot starting on the corners and pinch hitting he is a very valuable asset to this team. The only real position the Cubs can upgrade at is 2nd base, though Fontenot and Baker have been doing pretty well platooning of late.

The rumors of moving Bradley are pretty hard to believe, but I would love a Hoffpauir/Bradley for Adam Dunn trade. Our starting pitching has carried us this year and despite Lilly's injury we're still one of the best starting pitching staff's in the NL and perhaps MLB. Randy Wells has been simply awesome since he came up and has cemented his role in the Staff, Zambrano has been solid, Harden is figuring it out and Lou is starting to figure out what situations he does better in, Lilly has been awesome, Dempster is coming back this week and he is a gamer, and Hart has been nice as a spot starter. Honestly our most dire need is another lefty in the pen. Marshall is our only lefty, rumor has it we may go after George Sherrill and add a right hander in Chad Qualls. We also signed a no-risk, high-reward player in B.J. Ryan. We only have to pay him the league minimum and if he can regain his velocity in the minors he could be a major addition.

If we can shore up our bullpen by the trade deadline, I think with the team finally getting healthy we can make a serious run. Soriano and Bradley have improved their average's almost 30 points of late and the offense has really awoken. I just don't see the Astros hanging on anymore and the Brewers don't have the pitching to really compete for the NL Central crown. I think when all is said and done it will be a two-horse race in the Central between the Cubs and Cards (who only have one series left against each other).

• 2 months later...

My picks were FUGLY. A lot of busts, including my Scrubbies er Cubbies. :'(

Somebody please be dumb enough to take Milton Bradley off our hands! He is a cancer. Big Z too. Excellent athlete and competitor, but his emotions will never allow him to take that next step to elite status.