Socom/Connection question..?

An old clan member/friend of mine sent me an email recently, but i don't know how to answer him. (except "buy a 360". lol)

Does anyone know about this issue &/or what to do to fix it.?

I have the new Socom, but every time I try to join a game or room, I either get booted out immediately or stay in the room for a few seconds before getting booted out. My PS3 is connected to the Internet via the built-in WiFi. I've played other online games with my PS3 with no difficulty. It has been suggested that I direct-connect my PS3 to the internet via Ethernet cable but I was wondering if you have heard any issues from your friends or clan members regarding such an issue.

Thanks for any help, I'm sure he will greatly appreciate it.! ;D

I would ask Shane. i have not had any loading or boot issues at all for a couple months, with wireless or wired. That was until 1.42 came out. Now it happens a lot.

Everyone always says use a direct connection or reset your router to fix things, when the only game that i own that ever has problems with online is Socom. (Not doggin you Klutch) ;) It would make sense to me if all of one's games had problems, not just Socom.

I did hear that going into the settings and disabling media devices helps?

Think about it.. wireless routers put out a wireless signal of around what 50mbps or something.. while when you plug in directly you can get up to 100mbps.. so its not that the PS3s wireless is not reliable.. its just that its always safer and faster to be hard lined. PC or PS3 or even 360... just how it is.

As for other ideas.. you know me.. are the media servers turned on? This can cause all sorts of probs.. including boots and freezes. I think its a great tool.. but always turn it off when your not using it. Other then that.. maybe just try pluggin right into the modem, this might decipher if its his internet connection or something in between.

Chili-Palmer ]

so the built in WiFi is not a very reliable connection.?

not with socom..... From what i can see he is running into one of the 3 following problems:

1. Wifi is causing him to drop out: I've never heard of this happening but an easy way to test it is to connect using a cable and see if socom magically works.

2. Ports on his firewall blocking socom from connecting fully: To test this he would need to make his PS3 a DMZ or remove the router completely just to see if socom works and if does then he will need to either keep his ps3 as a DMZ or adjust his ports or router settings.

3. Somehow his game data is corrupt : not sure how to test this bug if the two issues above listed don't solve the problem then he can try to delete his socom game data and reinstall

PS. i don't think buying a 360 will solve this problem since i had some similar problems with my router and vegas 1 on the 360.

I had that exact same problem with COD4 and it turned out that connecting directly was the only way to stop it. I never had the problem with Socom, RB6, Tiger Woods, or any other game I played. COD4 only.

Since I've moved, I'm back to wireless and have had no problems on any game. With the exception of an occasional "hiccup" or the freeze and boots everyone else has been getting since the new patch.

I did notice that my troubles with COD4 started shortly after a software update to my PSN.

I would suggest trying to connect directly first and see if that helps. If not call Sony and ask them WTF. Of course we all know they'll pass it off on your internet provider, who will in turn pass it off on someone else, but he can always try it.