End Of the Road For John Madden

Totally disagree.. he was getting too old to do the job, but he was a great commentator IMO.

He always had another guy to get the point across when he got stuck drawing all over the screen, but he was always entertaining. ;D

F*CK EA though.!!

Chili-Palmer ]

Totally disagree.. he was getting too old to do the job, but he was a great commentator IMO.

He always had another guy to get the point across when he got stuck drawing all over the screen, but he was always entertaining. ;D

F*CK EA though.!!

OK, can you give me one intelligent quote from Madden? I'm sure there was one in a 30 year career, right?

Tool_Minion ]
Chili-Palmer ]

F*CK EA though.!!

OK, can you give me one intelligent quote from Madden? I'm sure there was one in a 30 year career, right?

Regardless of how dumb you may think he is as a commentator there is no denying he was a talented coach. Who knows the game of football very well. I don't see how a commentator could turn a fan of a sport.

The thing Madden was good at, and why they kept him around longer than they should have, is his simplicity. He was very good, especially early on, at explaining the game for people that weren't football fans. Yes to the hardened fan, almost everything he said was redundant, but for people new to the NFL(wives, LOL), he bridged that understanding gap.

Prane ]
Tool_Minion ]
Chili-Palmer ]

F*CK EA though.!!

Regardless of how dumb you may think he is as a commentator there is no denying he was a talented coach. Who knows the game of football very well. I don't see how a commentator could turn a fan of a sport.

He couldn't turn ME, and as far as coaching, is there anyone here who was actually into football when Madden coached?!

We are talking about his commentating, or at least that's what I thought he was retiring from.....not coaching. ;)

I took Tool's challenge to find an intelligent quote or two from the guy, not to prove anyone wrong as much as I was curious if the point was actually valid.

While there is far more coverage of his gaffe's then anything else, I did find two quotes on the first site I checked which I felt were on the page for their wisdom, not humor:

"Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble."

"With all his tumid boasts, he's like the sword-fish, who only wears his weapon in his mouth. "

Reading the second quote was especially interesting because it was the first time in the years I've closely followed professional sports that a talking head used a word I had to look up (tumid, which looks to be used correctly)

Overall though, I think one's opinion of him is largely based on what you look for in a commentator. I'm the kind of guy who enjoys a happy go lucky goofball who has a propensity to sound mildly retarded at times. Others may disagree, but I don't think that there's much (if at all) in this thread thus far to prove he was worthless as a commentator and/or made anyone watching him less intelligent.

Just my .02

Nah Tool is just one of those guys who just doesn't like him.. thats all, you cant win em ell. ;D

He is or i should say was one of the greatest commentators the NFL has ever had.

Tool is just being a hater. lol

Just like I would be towards the Yankeees, but that doesn't mean they aren't one HELL of a Ball club. ;D

LOL, those both sound scripted to me.......... ::)

I don't hate on those that like Madden. I think he dumbed down football to the point that it was like listening to George W. talk about.....anything. ;D Sports do not require a degree to follow. Scept for maybe Curling. Still not sure what the rules are there...

I never appreciated his humor, his antics, or his commentary. I require a tad more from a commentator than a Bill Cosby magic pen and a secret homo desire for Brett Favre.

That said, to each his own. To you it was entertaining, to me it was stupidity at it's finest.

I thought Madden was entertaining (kinda like that dumb buddy that watches the game with you- You let him talk but you know more than he does lol)... However when I watched a Sandiego Game with him calling it- It always pissed me off for some reason. He had the ability to try and point out the obvious and at times he came across not knowing as much about the team as a dedicated fan might (although I dont think that was actually the case just the perception).

That was a great point made- "he bridged the gap for the ladies that watched the game" and younger kids too IMO.

Love him or hate him he is a football icon and will be missed. Thanks for the memories John!