Calling all golfers

Hey guys, so i haven't played in about 2 years. I finally went on Friday and I did pretty good. I forgot how fun golf really is. I bought my current set for like 20 bucks at a yard sale. I really want a good, long lasting set. But nothing to expensive, because i'm not a pro.

My budget is about $200, I found these at sport authority. Are they pretty good you think?

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2877811&cp=3052500.3053437.3243984.2273504&parentPage=family

That's a good call, check with some places that might be unloading demo's or discontinued sets for cheap.

Also, you're budget is probably about right for now. After a full summer of playing and if you're still into it, start saving up, because it WILL get expensive. $1000-1500 sounds about right for a higher end set. But until you learn how to play well it doesn't matter what you use. Having Tiger's $1000 driver won't make you Tiger. You know what I'm saying?

Yea call an actual Golf Shop. THey will give you advice and more then likely have clubs for you. Just because there is a name you are familiar with doesn't mean they are good.

I knew someone that bought Top FLight clubs when I was in high school and half way through the season the Club heads started flying off. So name brand isn't necessarily Top Quality. Of course he bought them at Walmart. LOL

Well since im a golf pro at a course I can shed some light on this for you. That set you are looking at for your budget is probably your best option for right now. You could call your local golf shop but it is unlikely you will get everything that you are getting in that set for under $200. What I would also suggest is saving up some money and taking some lessons, they should range anywhere between $60 - $80 an hour. After taking some lessons you may want to get fitted for clubs and upgrade in the future when you get better.

Just buying a set of clubs is like just buying a computer.. or anything else for that matter.. you get what you pay for. As some of you might remember i was raised in a golf environment.. my dad has been a PGA professional since i was 8 years old. He even played in the Senior US Open in 2008 and will hopefully return this year as well.. anyways..

I actually was w/ him this past Fri afternoon where Nike fitted him w/ the new Vr clubs.. that are replacing the Sling Shots. Technology is fucking crazy.. they had machines that told him yardage, ball revolutions and in what direction , ball velocity and more... not to mention that they had different quick release club heads and literally like 500 shafts to attach to the club heads. I had never seen anything like this.. they unscrewed it, and popped the heads off.

I watched my dad hit roughly 200 balls.. with various clubs.. In the end it was amazing the difference. The new Vr irons were amazing.. he hit them sooooo much better then the sling shots.. however he like the old Nike woods... which Nike was going crazy cuz he is supposed to be playing the current Nike product being sponsored and all..

Point of this story is that technology in golf clubs has really evolved over the past 10 years especially ... so that extra few dollars could really help your golf game. Regardless of your budget , hit the clubs before you buy them if at all possible.. This will help you confidently buy your new set...

On a side note.. Brian Henninger was also there being fitted w/ the new Nike clubs.. He is a big time pro who apparently grew up in Oregon as well... he was pretty cool dude.. He and my dad were having a long drive competition cuz my dad had won a local contest.. it was a fun day..

Ehh, Im no pro.....in fact I suck pretty bad all considered. I do play frequenty, and have about 1200 tied up in clubs.

I tried all mine out first with the exception being my Sumo2 driver. I found that the X-20's were the only irons in my price range that I hit consistently with, and I had 2 other sets of irons at home: Nike Slingshots, and Wilson ProStaff w/graphite shafts.

I hate graphite shafts on my irons. I found I am MUCH more consistent with steel shafts. If I get my swing tempo working well, I can be very effective with the graphite, but lets be honest if I was consistent I wouldn't be shooting in the 90-100 range. :-\

The Slingshot's were just too deep at the bottom for my swing. I hit alot of fat balls with them, and even though I still have a deep cavity back iron with the X20's, it's NOTHING like the Slingshot's.

I would say confidence is another factor that not too many people look at. For instance I bought a Cleveland CG14 60 deg wedge just the other day, but when me and Prime went to the course this weekend, I took my old 60 with me. Why? Cause even though it was beaten all to shit and had seen about 4 years of golf, I trusted what I could do with it.

MJ will tell you that grooves are over rated, but I had NO grooves left on my old one, and I wanted a tad more bite around the greens. It worked well enough, and I safely took my old 60 out of my bag when i got home. I am confident in my new club now so..........

Good luck, and who knows, maybe this new set will be the best set you ever owned!

Yea I'd like to say i'm pretty good...

And Top Flite is a really respectable manufacturer..

The putter in the set is a decent putter..

Any set that actually comes with a hybrid nowadays is worth it. If you can use and master a hybrid, you can drop your score 8 to 9 pretty easily.

The wood leaves a little to be desired but it is a really attractive set, and for $199 you really cannot go wrong.

Check a few different golf shops in your area. The one we have here sells old demo's and stuff on consignment. You'd easily be able to walk in there and find a nice set for 2 bills. Just start calling local shops in your area.

First I would check craigslist as well as what you originally did and that is yard sales. This is where you can find the most for your money, if you are lucky.

You will have better luck finding the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow than finding a good set of clubs for your price range at the local golf shop or club.

This would be my suggestion. The set you have mentioned and what you get is not a bad price to start. Get back into golfing and then decide how far you would like to go. If you are just looking to be a weekend warrior who plays once a month or so, there is no need in spending big bucks for your equipment, especially if it is not within your budget.

If you get back into it and decide you want to play competitively, then you can take the steps to improve your game. I think one of the best options for this is to check the small local driving ranges. A lot of these are operated by club pros or ex club pros. If approached here, it is a lot less expensive for lessons. A lot of times you can just ask for pointers and they will give them for free.

Once you have done this and you still feel the need or desire to play more competitively, then you can look into building a set of clubs that suits you. Go try out clubs. Build a set for you. You can do this as needed.

Take a look at your game a see where you lose the most strokes. Everyone is different. Some it is off the tees, some intermediate distances, some short and others the green. Get help and build your set accordingly. Look at the pros. Not all the clubs in their bags match. They use clubs that fit their game.

High end clubs are not the only answer. They are only as good as the golfer. Yes they may shave a stroke or 2 off the weekend warriors game, however if you know how to use them they can shave many strokes from your scorecard.

Shit my dad is in Grants Pass.. or just was rather over the weekend.. he left that Nike fitting to go play in a tourney down there.. if you made your way up here (portland) i could probably help you out on some shit.. let me know if you want to come and play some free golf too.. its a long drive for a day .. but if you came and stayed .. get a couple days of golf and maybe a discounted set of clubs...

inadub ]

my dad is the head pro at meriwether national out in aloha which is only about 10 min outside of portland.. its a pretty decent course and i can get us carts and fees for free..

http://www.meriwethernationalgolfclub.com

I'm on my way.. ;D

I already told you about "Play it Again Sports", but it really depends on how serious you are about it, if you just want a set to play with, i wouldn't spend all the much on them.

What do you have now?

If you can deal with your Woods for now and just get yourself a descent set of Irons first I would think that would be the way to go. Then next year when you want a new Driver, 3, 5 and maybe 7 wood you can get those.

You don't have to get ALL at once.

SHANE23 ]

What do you have now?

If you can deal with your Woods for now and just get yourself a descent set of Irons first I would think that would be the way to go. Then next year when you want a new Driver, 3, 5 and maybe 7 wood you can get those.

You don't have to get ALL at once.

That's what I've been doing. I bought a custom sized set of Calloway BB irons a few years ago, and have been adding drivers, hybrids, putter, wedges etc as I have extra cash. I LOVE the Cleveland 4 hybrid that I bought. It gets used off the tee's almost as much as the driver.

Well i bought a set of Paragon's. 2 Drivers, iron's 4 and 5 are hybrids. And 6-9 are normal. It also came with a putter and bag. I bought it for $250. They told me to come back in about 2 months after i have played them, so i can get them adjusted exactly to me for free.

I feel like i got a great deal here. I bought it from a local golf shop, new. But i just wish it would stop raining so i can go use them. lol