Is Socom Still Socom?! Or are we just too stubborn to kick an old habit.

its interesting to see how the argument turned into..

COD is an FPS, and FPS's suck..

COD is Respawn, and Respawns suck

COD is Fast paced, and Socom is slow and steady.

With the exception of the First person shooter fact, both games have the option to play respawn or not, and both games have the option to be fast paced or not.

I dont think its a fair argument to state that Call of Duty is not as Tactical as Socom in, when in reality is, if you want to have any success at winning at say Search and Destroy, you must be tactical, and communicate effectively with your team members...

That of course also applies to socom. You have to use team work to win.

Ive played both Socom, and COD MW and there's been many a time, when I just blaze by a corner doing the good ol "run and gun" and get owned by someone camping in a freakin poorly lit corner.

If Socom is: Teamwork, Lag, nonstellar graphics, good times with your clan, 3rd person shooter, and tactful, then ok.. I'll agree w/ that statement.

BUT

In exchange for say Third person view, you get cool shit like in Rainbow 6, how you can post up on a wall behind cover, and pop out to fire a shot, or blind fire if you'd like. You can rappel, and other "tactical manuevers". In gears of war, you can dive , roll, run, and all sorts of other tactical maneuvers, also 3rd person. In Modern warfare, you get perks, which some people might call "unrealistic". To that i'll say, let me see you try and run around with a .50 cal Barret, and fire it while standing up (BTW, the Sea Snipers actually did fire the barret while standing up... check their site for more info on that.. lol)

I hear the arguments, and they're all valid, but they all have a counter point to them as well. I strongly feel that the Socom community as a whole has grown up on mediocrity.. but again thats just me.. perhaps im bitter.

Oh, and one last thing

HIGH_TIMESsw ]

Third Argument: Fast paced exciting action is awesome I liked COD (which also had tons of issues' date=' i.e. joining parties), but it gets old, when 99% of the time you spawn and toss 4 nades and die. Where is the strategy in holding down the trigger and tossing nades 1000 times? There’s a reason respawn in played by newbs in socom, because you learn to get better so you don't sit and watch people play for 5 minutes. None of the FPS can hold your entertainment long enough not to have respawn. You can't set up a strategy since the guy you just killed knows where you are, which is why using skype, aim, whatever is cheating.

Ok, seriously... All I gotta say to the words in red is Desert Glory, Frost Fire, Citadel all GRENADE ORGY MAPS.

those are some of the points i always bring... and i totally agree with you.. and this is from a really active socom player that never played socom before.

the problem with FPS are the respawn... that's it. play it non respawn and the games are great.

i love FPS and i cant wait for CoD 5. socom is great cause of the tactical aspect and game modes. but FPS would be so much better, IDK why the hell they dont make a damn game you can alternate views like on CoD after you're dead. but of course if they do this it should automatically go to FPS when in corners, edges or prone.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks can say what they want about gameplay and play style.

I'd wager that Socom's cult like following (in this community, at least) is due to two things.

1) A gunners clan activity in-game

2) UF's support of the game

If UF chose to move on from Socom and changed to Killzone 2 only, fans of UF would follow. The same for any given clan applies, if RVN, 101, or any long-standing tight-knit group's core jumped games, many/most members of that core would follow.

It's very similiar to watching a shitty Monday night football game with your buddies. Sure, it's Lions-Chiefs (apologies to those who may actually care) and the action looks like pee-wee football... but you're enjoying the company of friends. If someone got up to turn the TV to the local news, would everyone get up and leave?

Whats so bad about respawn? why is that noob? i dont see anything wrong with it; i think its fun and great that you can come back; some argue i can spawn and kill the camper, well dont camp in the first place, or be smart and move to the other side of the building.

I like both games, its just the quality, dedication and time the devs put into it that really shows why most of the gaming community is on one game and not the other.

Polaris ]

Folks can say what they want about gameplay and play style.

I'd wager that Socom's cult like following (in this community, at least) is due to two things.

1) A gunners clan activity in-game

2) UF's support of the game

If UF chose to move on from Socom and changed to Killzone 2 only, fans of UF would follow. The same for any given clan applies, if RVN, 101, or any long-standing tight-knit group's core jumped games, many/most members of that core would follow.

It's very similiar to watching a shitty Monday night football game with your buddies. Sure, it's Lions-Chiefs (apologies to those who may actually care) and the action looks like pee-wee football... but you're enjoying the company of friends. If someone got up to turn the TV to the local news, would everyone get up and leave?

good points...

He said ORGY.... ;D

yes.. yes i did...

Grenade Orgy [gri-neyd awr-jee]

–noun, plural -gies

When Hundreds of grenades converge in air for a pleasant rendezvous while on route to the other side of the map right at the beginning of a round.

CDBS14 ]

....I like both games' date=' its just the quality, dedication and time the devs put into it that really shows why most of the gaming community is on one game and not the other.

[/quote']

Right On!

Id rather support a game where the Devs bust their ass to bring us an awesome game, vs the alternative.

I'm disappointed that Confrontation has gone back to the smaller maps that funnel teams into one or two ways (most maps). Urban Wasteland would be phenomenal if it was about 4 times bigger and your could go 4 or 5 stories higher in the center builidng.

Respawns are for kids who don't like to think to hard.

The idea if you make a mistake in SOCOM and have to sit there dead until the next round is what gives SOCOM some sort of realism that is COMPLETELY absent in respawns. Why be concerned with dying if you come back in 10 seconds? And that's how people that I observed played them. That's why SOCOM is better suited for those who are more serious about playing a tactical match instead of a game that is closer to kindergarten dodgeball where no one is made to sit down no matter how many times they are hit.

Ok way too many people i wanted to quote in this, so i wont, but the main thing that early Socom's had was it was the first one to do it.!!! (on console)

If you didn't play PC games Socom was the most amazing thing ever.. you could actually log in, talk & play vs other REAL people.!!!

That is what made Socom, Socom.!

I remember the first time i put in Socom 1 and my buddy had to show me how to log in, etc.. i was fukin blown away.!!

Now it is the standard in online multiplayer shooters. so Socom isn't "special" anymore it is status quo, so now we look at the details & compare it to other games instead of being in awe, by its groundbreaking features.

-------------

On another note everyone who keeps saying Socom is better, special, or whatever because respawn sucks is a MORON.!!

Socom has respawn, CoD has no respawn. You can choose to play it which ever way you want.!!

That is the lamest excuse ever. If you cant figure out how to play Hardcore Search & Destroy on CoD you're just an idiot, not a Socom elite-est. lol

CoD:WaW, Harcore - Search & Destroy is just as Strategy driven & slow paced as any Socom has ever been.

The ONLY REAL point that anyone has to compare the two games is First Person vs Third Person. and if you can find a way to get used to it, it is 100 times more realistic, & makes you play more strategically.. (Hiding around a corner is NOT strategy, risking your life to see what the situation is, is. ;D

---------

The Main thing people need to get over Socom is more friends playing another game.. lol

If you have your clan & 10 other clans all playing the same game and played in rooms toogether it would be just as much fun, but people dont put in the effort to make that happen, so as long as socom is still being released, you all will still converge in rooms together. ;)

But it is refreshing to hear that the game is much more playable than it used to be.. I might have to borrow a PS3 to see just how much better it has gotten.. or maybe i'll just wait for the latest patch. :)

Wow Chili....

Own stock in CoD?

Some pretty pointed characterzations about people's opinions, calling them "morons" to make your arguement. You sound just like War Pig talking politics, can't seem to make your point without trying to make someone else feel stupid.

I can't figure out if you are upset that people don't love the same game you do, or you just hate SOCOM so much that the hate transfers to people who enjoy it.

Play CoD until you wear your fingers down to little nubs for all I care. I don't give a shit and I doubt anyone who prefers SOCOM does either. Enjoy the game you play and let others do the same, what's so hard about that?

Not at all Hog..!!??

I dont think you understood my point. im not saying dont play Socom, OR that it sucks, OR that no one should play it.

I'm saying if anyone says "CoD sucks" because "Respawn sucks" that is just lame, BOTH games have respawn..!!??

Thats just like if i said Socom sucks because not having respawn sucks.. well if i said that i'd be stupid too, because i could play Socom in respawn rooms if i wanted. (obviously i wouldn't, i hate respawn. lol)

Did i miss something..!?

I honestly thought my post was well thought out & wasn't bashing Socom at all.?

Just bashing opinions based on FICTION.!

Everyone IS entitled to their opinion & if you dont like respawn, thats fine too, (i agreee) but you could complain about respawn in either game, respawn is not CoD specific. (like some opinions would have us believe)

You have the option to play respawn or not to play respawn in either game. (in most games actually)

Sorry you got offended by my post Hog, but the part about respawn/morons, etc.. really had NOTHING to do with Socom at all.

To anyone who did post that CoD sucks because respawn sucks please do not take it that personal, as im sure you can see my point also. lol

Also i was just stating my own opinion about how strategic WaW can be. ;D

i agree with you chilli and mostly the reason i play socom is cause of my clan. i move with them to wherever they decide to go cause the real reason to play online games is to play with friends.

i still dont like WaW though.. IDK man the damn guns and even the maps i dont like.. i've tried it and play it every now and then cause my brothers have it, but yeah i prefer CoD MW.. but i also have to say that CoD MW pisses me off to no end.. cause of the god damn hosts ending the game when loosing. it takes almost all the fun of the damn game but ofcourse i do love playing Private rooms without respawn ;)

yes, cod has hardcore S&D, but, its only ever good in private games, if that. even the S&d's are fast past, and spray and prays. specially hardcore. i loved hardcore S&D, but it was just so fuckin fustrating when some noob runs into a room with an f90 and can kill 4 guys in 1 second. and he didnt even have to aim, the mother fucker coulda been reading the newspaper while shitting and smoking a cigarette with his TV off, and still get 2 kills just buy pulling the damn trigger. and i agree with hog, in the overall view of things, COD is for someone who doesnt want to think as hard. thats why it attracts the worst kinda online people, like the kids and teamkillers.

I don't think that it is accurate to compare CoD and SOCOM. There are a whole slew of games that are similar to CoD in game style and play. While SOCOM is a, one in its own, type of game. Show me another third person shooter that someone can turn too that would replace SOCOM and there would be no answer.

And don't give me this MGO bullshit. It is not like SOCOM. Hell we wouldn't be having this conversation if the game was released properly. I still have NOTHING really to complain about at this juncture about SOCOM. The private games run seemingly good and the public rooms have no problems IMHO.

So quit comparing apples to oranges. There is no other game that would replace SOCOM and it's format. It is a unique, one in it's own, game. While CoD is the same as any other FPS. Easily replaced with the next FPS.

nuff said here.

Chili-Palmer ]

On another note everyone who keeps saying Socom is better, special, or whatever because respawn sucks is a MORON.!!

I guess it's good to know you think I'm a moron Chili. :-\

While you can argue till you're blue in the face about HC S&D, it doesn't change the fact that COD IS built around Respawn. I can't just log into servers and play fun games unless I got, 1) enough clan members on or 2) enough friends that aren't already doing thier own thing. So the guy jumping on at an odd time(like a sick day) is fucked if they want to play.

Polaris ]

Ima kill you.

The biggest problem with CoD isn't that it's a FPS, it's that they only offer ONE game mode NOT respawn.

If you were able to turn off respawn on all the game modes they offer, (and make them HC) then it is the better game.

Polaris ]
Tool_Minion ]

Ima kill you.

Even while typing the words I knew it was coming, but it was either Chiefs or Raiders, and if I remember correctly, Nacku is a raiders fan... and I tend to avoid crossing those who fancy calling themselves "big money".

:-X

:D :D :D

Socom has well surpassed its shelf lfe IMO. I would go on a tangent about how it not on the same level as other shooters, but I think its already been said numerous times in this thread. The only reason I play it was to game it up with my friends, but that has all changed. So its either time for a new game for me or some new friends..... :P

I agree that socom and COD can't be compared. There two different games. But I got to agree with Chilli about some of these COD comments. Sprayed by a F90? Come on what about guys on socom who run and gun and kill you? lol. THat is probably the dumbest thing I ever heard. YOu have an opportunity to either run and gun or camp. Its your playing style. If you play clans on COD you know its VERY tactical. If you play with a bunch of random people ofcourse is not just like socom. Some run and gun and destroy you. Some camp it out and destroy you. The key thing is don't let this thread be a bash socom fest because you don't play it or a bash COD fest because you don't play it or because you got pwned the couple of times you played it lol. Oh the famas is a cheap weapon thats why you got whopped in the first two seconds of the game. Oh P90 is a cheap weapon. Come on. lol. The whole point of clans is playing with guys and girls you love to play with and working together as a team and it doesn't matter if its socom.. cod or any other game its the same exact concept. You can get pwned in every game you play. The ones that can win by getting past the "cheapness" are the true champions of gaming and there the ones who make the big bucks lol.

Tool_Minion ]

The biggest problem with CoD isn't that it's a FPS, it's that they only offer ONE game mode NOT respawn.

If you were able to turn off respawn on all the game modes they offer, (and make them HC) then it is the better game.

Then i guess it is the better game.. lol

We play Hardcore Sabatoge ("Demo" in Socom) we "turn off" respawn, & it fukin rules.!!!

Do it against another clan on Wet Work and you're good to go for hours of INTENSE strategic game play.!!

Also we can change the round time, bomb plant time, diffuse time, time till explosion, & how many rounds to play to win & to switch sides, from every round to none. ;D (plus there are about 10+ other options you cant play with)

I'm not saying CoD is better than Socom, (well i guess i am, but only because of the issues with Socom) I'm just saying CoD is a GREAT game, just as good if not better than any shooter out there. (if Socom didn't have the issues it would definitely be a toss up & i would probably own a PS3. ;))

And if all you need are options to change game modes or a ton of other things.. you should try it. lol

BigMoneyNacku ]
Chili-Palmer ]

I guess it's good to know you think I'm a moron Chili. :-\

While you can argue till you're blue in the face about HC S&D, it doesn't change the fact that COD IS built around Respawn. I can't just log into servers and play fun games unless I got, 1) enough clan members on or 2) enough friends that aren't already doing their own thing. So the guy jumping on at an odd time(like a sick day) is fucked if they want to play.

Define "built around respawn"...?

Thats like saying Socom is built around patches..!?

You cant say you hate it because you hate respawn.. you just cant, that is asinine, & i know YOU are smarter than that. BOTH games have respawn modes, & Both games have non respawn modes. It is up to YOU to choose which one you want to play. (we have played in full leagues/tourney's of HC S&D, no tubes, no glitching, nothing but pure Adrenalin filled, strategic gaming.!!)

Tell me if when you are home on a sick day you can log into Socom, go into a pubby respawn room & absolutely love it...?

(if you say you love it, you are lying. lol)

It's the same on CoD.. especially WaW for the slower pace.

If you log onto WaW on a sick day & jump into a HC S&D room, you will find the same things you find in Socom... except it will be a more realistic view. lol ;)

And my whole point of my og post was to point out what has changed about Socom, not to bash it, or to praise CoD. ;D

I think its really clear to see if you look back at some of the posts to see just how passionate some people still are about socom.

On one hand you have a group of people who have parted ways with socom since it doesn have the "magic" it once had.

On the other hand you have a group of people who still very much love socom, and accept it for what it is.

But that's just it, every person who has had any significant time invested in socom knows that socom has always, I repeat ALWAYS had issues. Confrontation, unfortunately is no exception to this.

It seems though that the die hard socomers are willing to turn a blind eye so to speak, and tolerate its inherent broken-ness. I believe this is done out of love for the franchise, more than anything else.

Look, socom was my bread and butter for like 5 years, I've been in many a war, tourney, staff role, and other clan associated crap... not to mention the arguments about me playing too much, or spending tons of time on forums.

Believe me I loved the game, and I too turned blind eyes all the time.. But its 2009...

Socom was supposed to go next gen, but all we got was the same broken game with some fresh paint slapped on.

Sure slant six "talks to us more" or "at least they're trying"...

Fuck that... they should have tried harder, instead.. They released a game that was no where near release quality.. And adopted zippers shitty formula.. Patch patch patch.

Here you go socom fans.. Your going to ppay us $60 to beta test our broken game..

We can compare game play mechanics, and well never agree with one another..

Socom isn't cod, or halo, or gow, or vegas, or mgo..

Neither is the opposite true..

My personal point is.

Clearly devs have different ways of doing things when it comes to making successful shooters. I think personally the guys at infinity ward did a fantastic job at defining that which should earn the title of "next gen shooter" and I think set the bar of what the quality should be.

Game play mechanics will never be the same from game to game, with the exception of guns, and killing ppl..

Some companies do a better job of presenting that though.

Slant six, zipper.. Brought us socom, and it was a good run.. But...

Seriously.. I think when we bought confrontation we bought a galon of milk that was past its expiration date. But because socom fans are so die hard they said...

Fuck it, projectile vomiting is ok with me.

Polaris ]
Tool_Minion ]

Ima kill you.

Even while typing the words I knew it was coming, but it was either Chiefs or Raiders, and if I remember correctly, Nacku is a raiders fan... and I tend to avoid crossing those who fancy calling themselves "big money".

:-X

LOL, the Raider's are BY FAR the shittier team. Even BMN will admit the Faider's are FUUUKed until Al Davis croaks.

Neo, I am newer to the community and to Socom. I play because that is what my CLAN plays, and to me that aspect is more important. If I want to play a game that isn't necessarily a 'clan' style format, I will play Madden, Baseball, or Tiger Woods.

I expect that a game will come out soon enough that will drag even the most die-hard socom patron to it kicking and screaming because it delivers everything we all want so badly.

This game will be:

Glitch free, Rank free, respawn free, the most amazing graphics ever seen, flawless gameplay, level equalizers so talent is no longer necessary, no GL's, land mines that take 30 seconds to plant,(ya gotta dig ya know?) claymores that have triggers that can be set and left, (although they will be able to kill YOUR teammates! WOW realistic!) Sniper rifles that have scopes that are usable, no f90 or other small 90 round gun that kills everyone from across the map even though it has the true range of a pellet gun, and a GOD DAMNED DESERT EAGLE THAT ACTUALLY BLOWS HALF YOUR OPPONENTS BODY OFF WHEN HIT BY IT!

I will play socom till that game comes out.