Wow, kinda surprised in this community only 7 people thought it was pertinent to give a shout to our Defenders of Freedom.....

I used this as I do most holidays. I spent less time thinking about the men and women who have given their lives to make sure I can sit here and give my opinion freely than I did about what I would wear to work today.

All that said, I DID think about them. I didn't know them, and I felt sad about that. So, I looked up a couple of them today, and decided to share their stories with you.

Spc. Ross McGinnis:

http://www.hqusareur.army.mil/heroes/Spc_Ross_McGinnis_MOH.pdf

Major Steven Hutchison:

http://arkansasmatters.com/common/printerfriendly.php?cid=221671

Thank you to all who serve in my place.

Tool_Minion ]

Wow, kinda surprised in this community only 7 people thought it was pertinent to give a shout to our Defenders of Freedom.....

I'm not surprised. Our own President would only make himself available for 30 minutes to honor those who have fallen in service to this great nation. The rest of the day he was playing golf.

God bless those brave men and women and may God comfort their families.

HogWild ]
Tool_Minion ]

I'm not surprised. Our own President would only make himself available for 30 minutes to honor those who have fallen in service to this great nation. The rest of the day he was playing golf.

God bless those brave men and women and may God comfort their families.

Well for me at least I don't need to make a post stating my respect for our veterans. Rather I called my family members who had served and thanked them. As for Obama, I can't say I know what other presidents have done in the past for the whole day on Memorial day but I would hope the Commander-in-Chief would be more inclined to spend time with veterans than to play golf. :-\

Prane ]

As for Obama, I can't say I know what other presidents have done in the past for the whole day on Memorial day but I would hope the Commander-in-Chief would be more inclined to spend time with veterans than to play golf. :-\

Our president doesn't deserve a day off?? While the rest of us are sitting on our fat asses drinking beer?

I mean i'm pretty sure he gets to thank those who have served and are serving every other day. It's Memorial Day. Not "travel-the-nation-looking for veterans day"

I'm a veteran and honestly, I could really care less, most who have served feel the same. I get thanks and gratitude every other day of the year too. Why hate on the guy for playing golf???

What did you do with your memorial day? Did you walk the Vietnam Memorial back and forth all day? Did you go to your local VA and visit with amputees?

Why is it every one hates on others for not doing things that they themselves wouldn't do.

aZyOuThInKeYeIz ]
Prane ]

As for Obama, I can't say I know what other presidents have done in the past for the whole day on Memorial day but I would hope the Commander-in-Chief would be more inclined to spend time with veterans than to play golf. :-\

Our president doesn't deserve a day off?? While the rest of us are sitting on our fat asses drinking beer?

I mean i'm pretty sure he gets to thank those who have served and are serving every other day. It's Memorial Day. Not "travel-the-nation-looking for veterans day"

I'm a veteran and honestly, I could really care less, most who have served feel the same. I get thanks and gratitude every other day of the year too. Why hate on the guy for playing golf???

What did you do with your memorial day? Did you walk the Vietnam Memorial back and forth all day? Did you go to your local VA and visit with amputees?

Why is it every one hates on others for not doing things that they themselves wouldn't do.

I watched the changing of the guards for 8 hours... ;)

I'm in no way hating............I admitted I spent less time worrying about what we HAVE the holiday for than I did picking out my clothes.

It's just that THIS community is always so gung-ho about our military and showing support for it. I was suprised that less people HAD responded. That's all.

Tool_Minion ]

I'm in no way hating............I admitted I spent less time worrying about what we HAVE the holiday for than I did picking out my clothes.

It's just that THIS community is always so gung-ho about our military and showing support for it. I was suprised that less people HAD responded. That's all.

I think the only reason for that is memorial day is a big boating/traveling/camping weekend a lot of people are going out of town. I personally had a party at my house for family so I had the chance to jump on my laptop and post a little thanks.

Being a Veteran of Urgent Fury (for anyone that doesn’t know that means Grenada.. and if you laugh I’ll kick your ass!) I was too late for the fighting.. I got there two days after it started so it was already over.. (ok you can laugh if you like.. hell I did!) I’m a disable vet. (head injury from falling though a torn up floor with my K-9 while on a search and rescue mission) don’t laugh.. well ok goat ahead it is sort of funny. At any rate, veterans day for me means putting my flag up in my yard having some BBQ and spending time with my kids.. that and being thankful I’m alive.. hey I could have broke my neck in that fall though the floor?

At any rate memorial day is just that… a time to remember those that served, those that gave the ultimate sacrifice and reverence for those that are serving today. It’s a solitary commemoration how one chooses to observe it is their prerogative. I don’t need to express anything here, if you feel obliged to then that’s your choice. However don’t assume just because others don’t they have no gratitude for America’s servicemen and women. I’m glad you are thankful as am I… but I resent the assumption that by not posting in this thread I am not. Of course I just posted this.. so I guess that takes care of that?

p.s I know where you are coming from Tool but this community is as you say very gung-ho on supporting our military.. it gets expressed many many times in a number of ways, giving that I’m not so surprised many choose to not state the obvious.

Mad/luv

Goat.

Naw, Goat it was in NO WAY me trying to shame people.

It was honest surprise. I am used to coming back from my selfish weekends of women, weed, and drink to see a thread saluting OUT LOUD our patriots. It always makes me feel like a shit for being so selfish.

So I went a different route this year, and just was...........surprised. That's all. ;)

heh.... a day off? Couldn't he have played on Sunday, he's not going to church now, can't find a preacher in D.C. that hates America I guess...

Bush was villified in the press and in a movie for playing golf while there was a war going on. And then ridiculed when he stopped. That was the standard the liberal press had set, and was supported by all those who hated Bush. So that's all fine and well I suppose.

Just don't expect Obama honor the nation's war dead because that's asking too much. He deserves the day off. Running all over the world bowing to kings, apologizing to our enemy's for America's past actions, and sitting still and listening a 3rd rate dictator thug give a 50 minute speech on how screwed up America is. That's a lot of work. So cut the man some slack...... is that what you are trying to say?

HogWild ]

heh.... a day off? Couldn't he have played on Sunday, he's not going to church now, can't find a preacher in D.C. that hates America I guess...

Bush was villified in the press and in a movie for playing golf while there was a war going on. And then ridiculed when he stopped. That was the standard the liberal press had set, and was supported by all those who hated Bush. So that's all fine and well I suppose.

Just don't expect Obama honor the nation's war dead because that's asking too much. He deserves the day off. Running all over the world bowing to kings, apologizing to our enemy's for America's past actions, and sitting still and listening a 3rd rate dictator thug give a 50 minute speech on how screwed up America is. That's a lot of work. So cut the man some slack...... is that what you are trying to say?

He did honor the "nation's war dead". The exact same way your "bush" had for the past 8 years. He went to the memorial service. You just can't tell me that he is required to spend 24 hours on Memorial Day honoring the dead when the rest of the world and your boy georgie is spending the same amount of time as he did.

Just because you add a conservative slant (only adding the negatives you see to your party, and neglecting the leaps and bounds he's made to get people back to school, fixing policies from a certain past regime, upping morale (outside of Rush Limbaugh's clown following)to your last paragraph, doesn't mean he doesn't deserve the same day off that you just used to sit around a barbecue pit "honoring the fallen".

And btw what is it you have done for the past 5 months that has anymore meaning than that of what you listed?

If you went to work tomorrow and they said you had to work 7 days a week with no days off what would you say?

Thanks for making a political argument over something that was not political.

I worked for a year straight without a day off, it was called Desert Storm. I worked for 10 months straight without a day off, that was Operation Iraqi Freedom. I worked 7 months straight without a day off, that was being a Drill Instructor.

I wasn't talking politics. I just love how it was patriotic to criticize the last President, but this President can't be criticized for anything. Obama is the Commander in Chief, he should act like it. If he can take a whole day to go talk about abortion at a Notre Dame University graduation, he should make more than 30 minutes available for the nation's war dead.

I don't care if Obama play's golf. I don't care if Obama takes time off to recharge his batteries. I think he should do such things. But give some thought to what days he does it, that's too much to ask?

HogWild ]

I just love how it was patriotic to criticize the last President, but this President can't be criticized for anything.

I think its unpatriotic to not bash anyone... I'm not even a Democrat.. I'm more of an anti-Politician.

I was just saying... On a day where everyone in America is sitting around doing nothing.. Maybe thinking about Veteran's for, say, 30 mins, to bash a guy for playing golf is a little absurd..

He went to the service. It was an hour long. 85% of America didn't even do that much. The only patriotism and honoring they showed to the military, was the red, white, and blue table cloth they ate their barbecue off of.

Respectively Hog, me and you BOTH know your a staunch Republican and will take every and any opportunity to express your distaste for Obama.

It's OK. I don't mind in the slightest, let's just be real. It was a politically charged comment you made, and I know damn well that you took it as an opportunity to 'Bama Bash'.

And all that said, thank you for your service to this country. I respect you and your opinions due to your commitment, even if I don't agree. ;)

I don't condone the beating that bush took in the media but IMO I think he brought it on himself by showing weakness. He came into office with a strong plan and after 9-11 he had an even stronger plan but as it went on he wavered and started trying to appease and with that the onslaught started. No president can ever show weakness. I personally would love to have a General George S. Patton as president but I don't think there are any of those types of people left anymore. In all seriousness though this conversation needs to come to a close politics are very divisive.