Who will win the AL Cy Young?

I just watched Zack Greinke win his 8th game, and throw his 5th complete game last night. His ERA crept all the way up to .84 from .82 after allowing a run to score in the 1st. ::)

The pundits keep saying it's Halladay's to lose, but I don't get that. They both have pitched 75 innings, and Zack has 4 more complete games (5), 18 more K's (81), and the same record but sporting an ERA that is 1.68 LESS than Halladay.

I guess I don't get to watch enough of the Jays, so is there a REASON that Roy has the edge for a pitching award?

Lemme here it UF!

The reason Roy Halladay would win have a chance at winning the Cy Young over Greinke is simply because of their divisions. It's not a secret that the AL East is a lot more competitive and a lot harder than the AL Central.

Either way, I'm voting for man love

BTW: Why is Jered Weaver an option? Sure he has the third lowest ERA in the AL but I don't think he'll be in Cy Young talks. If anything, I think Verlander will end up being one of the top pitchers in the AL by the end of the season because of his resurgence.

Tool_Minion ]

I just watched Zack Greinke win his 8th game, and throw his 5th complete game last night. His ERA crept all the way up to .84 from .82 after allowing a run to score in the 1st. ::)

The pundits keep saying it's Halladay's to lose, but I don't get that. They both have pitched 75 innings, and Zack has 4 more complete games (5), 18 more K's (81), and the same record but sporting an ERA that is 1.68 LESS than Halladay.

I guess I don't get to watch enough of the Jays, so is there a REASON that Roy has the edge for a pitching award?

Lemme here it UF!

There is a simple explanation to this. HISTORY! Halladay has shown that he can sustain this type of performance for a whole year. Greinke's history shows that he is good for spurts and then he blows it. Right now Zack is lights out. In the other thread I touched on this. Zack is as good as it gets if he keeps his head right. He has all the tools to have a full great season. It is the focus issue I discussed in the other thread. If he can keep his mind right. If he has finally exercised his demons, it will be his to lose. For the moment, history is his worst enemy.

I can see that, but he also won 13 games last season on a HORRIBLE Royals team.

He has broken records this year.......

He has more complete games than any other CLUB put together. The closest pitcher is Halladay with 2.

His ERA is lower thru 9 games than any pitcher since Juan Marichal in 1966. (9-0 .59 ERA)

It's funny, cause in today's paper he did an interview after the game. Zack isn't........talkative. He said that he watched Verlander pitch yesterday, and realized that in 100 at bats against him, he may not get a base hit. He said it calmed him down realizing that his stuff was that good, and he didn't need to worry about staying ahead of the hitters. He just knew he could go out and locate any one of his pitches for strikes.

I am excited, and while I understand why Halladay is in the convo, I don't think it will stay that way for much longer. ;)

BacklasH ]

AL Cy Young: Roy Halladay (Don't be surprised though if Zack Grienke finishes in top 3 or even wins it).

Give me some props!

I'm going with Grienke though if he can keep up this pace. He won't finish with a sub 1 ERA, but it will be tops in the AL. He pitches for a far worse ball club and is clearly the most dominant pitcher in baseball at the moment. He will edge out Halladay in K's, ERA, and Complete Games. They will be about even in WHIP, walks issued, and quality starts. Halladay will likely best him in wins though, which will make it an interesting discussion come season's end.

I hope Greinke wins it. I've watched a few of his games this year and he is amazing. Best pitch location in the league. Yes its true that Halladay pitches in arguably the best hitting division in the whole league but remember that he also gets run support from his team. He has some quality hitters to back him up. To me Greinke doesn't have shit to help him. The one guy I had hope for to do anything was Aviles and he hasn't got it going yet. So Greinke's lack of support has to mean something in Cy young consideration. If Halladay finishes with 18 wins and an era of 3.24 should he win it over Greinke if he only gets 13 wins with an era of 2.43? How many starts this year will he lose the win on because he gets no run support?

• 5 months later...