Activision Threatens To "Stop Supporting" Sony Consoles

IFYzo.gif

Bear in mind there's a degree of saber-rattling to this, but still; Activision boss Bobby Kotick has warned Sony that his company - the world's largest third-party publisher - may cease support for the PS3 and PSP.

Speaking with The Times, Kotick said "I'm getting concerned about Sony; the PlayStation 3 is losing a bit of momentum and they don't make it easy for me to support the platform. It's expensive to develop for the console, and the Wii and the Xbox are just selling better. Games generate a better return on invested capital on the Xbox than on the PlayStation".

Subtle. But wait. It gets subtler.

"They have to cut the price, because if they don't, the attach rates are likely to slow", he continues. "If we are being realistic, we might have to stop supporting Sony...When we look at 2010 and 2011, we might want to consider if we support the console - and the PSP [portable] too".

In that absolute worst-case scenario, that would mean no Call of Duty for Sony consoles. No Guitar Hero for Sony consoles. No Tony Hawk, either. It probably won't ever come to that, of course, but Kotick's words are still worth noting. After all, when was the last time you ever saw a third-party publisher so openly threaten a major platform holder?

Neoblackhound ]

Theres a reply from Sony umm let me go look at the DK I think its there.

Here it is:

"PlayStation has tremendous momentum coming out of E3' date=' and we are seeing positive growth with more than 350 titles slated to hit across all our platforms, including many anticipated games from our publishing partners," said Playstation spokesman Patrick Seybold. "We enjoy healthy business relationships with and greatly value our publishing partners and are working closely with them to deliver the best entertainment experience."

Indeed Sony announced an impressive line-up of first and third-party PS3 and PSP titles at their annual retailer meet-up Destination Playstation and then spent a bulk of their E3 press conference whipping through triple-A title after triple-A title.[/center']

It's been the complaint of many developers. Sony doesn't lend the support they require. And as much as I loath having to say this, Slant Sux Six is on the same page. Sony doesn't support them the way they need to produce games right the first time. They pushed them to release a game that needed another year of development and it's given Slant Six a bad name.

But on the other hand, there's still enough out there that make it enjoyable to own a PS3. Tiger '10 is great even if EA can't keep the mics working. Sony's E3 presentation was awesome. Even though most of the best stuff looks like it's being released for the PSP. Sony is putting a LOT of faith in the new PSP.

Sgt.JoeFriday ]

It's been the complaint of many developers. Sony doesn't lend the support they require. And as much as I loath having to say this, Slant Sux Six is on the same page. Sony doesn't support them the way they need to produce games right the first time. They pushed them to release a game that needed another year of development and it's given Slant Six a bad name.

But on the other hand, there's still enough out there that make it enjoyable to own a PS3. Tiger '10 is great even if EA can't keep the mics working. Sony's E3 presentation was awesome. Even though most of the best stuff looks like it's being released for the PSP. Sony is putting a LOT of faith in the new PSP.

The best stuff is coming out for the PSP?

God of War 3

Mod Nation Racers

The Last Guardian

to name 3 for the PS3. I can't remember anything of substance being discussed at E3 for the PSP or I just wasn't looking for info on it.

Sgt.JoeFriday ]

God of War 3

Mod Nation Racers

The Last Guardian

to name 3 for the PS3. I can't remember anything of substance being discussed at E3 for the PSP or I just wasn't looking for info on it.

Gran Turismo with 60 fps

Metal Gear

And a a whole new design that is smaller and more powerful

Sgt.JoeFriday ]

I can't remember anything of substance being discussed at E3 for the PSP or I just wasn't looking for info on it.

i think slant 6 is making a PSP game.

Sgt.JoeFriday ]
Sgt.JoeFriday ]

God of War 3

Mod Nation Racers

The Last Guardian

Gran Turismo with 60 fps

Metal Gear

And a a whole new design that is smaller and more powerful

You're just wrong there.

God of War 3

Metal Gear Solid Rising

Castlevania

Batman AA

Final Fantasy XIII

Final Fantasy XIV

PS3 Titles > PSP