Ok so I'm looking for some speakers for my room. I would like 2 speakers that can either be mounted to a wall or preferably placed on a stand. My price range is roughly up to $300 but I would not mind at all staying well below that if possible. I'm asking you guys because I don't know anything about speakers or home theater setups. If you guys could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. Models, specific things I should look for, etc. Thanks in advance fellas! :)

Well if you can go In-wall then $300 for the pair isn’t unreasonable.. MTX, Pinnacle or JBL. If you’re looking for enclosure speakers then you need to either up your funds or think in terms of quality bookshelf speakers on stands. Good stands will take up some of your funds however. Towers will either be far less quality at that price range or again you need to increase your budget. KEF will be the lower cost models for bookshelf speakers although IMO they are rather low quality although their IQ30WA’s aren’t bad but retail is over $500 even if my cost is within your range.. LOL. Teac’s bookshelf are better for about the same price as KEF. Pinnacles Black Diamond ON-walls you should be able to find close to your price and they are excellent speakers…they also have a Black Diamond bookshelf for about the same price. Canton is an up and comer and their GLE430’s include the stands.. but they will be closer to $400 or more.

IMO its about what the use will be.. if these are for rear surround or side surround then you can get by within your budget.. however if these will be the mains then you need to consider spending a bit more.. your at the threshold since you have a lot more choices and better quality of choice at the $500-$600 range then you do at $200-$300. per pair.

p.s. Bose used to be excellent but they sold out and started making cheaper quality while maintaining the higher price for the name Bose. They are all plastic and rubber these days and IMO they suck. For a cheaper route you might consider using powered PC speakers.. Advents for example with a subwoofer and satellites then from a 1/8" mini to stereo RCA adapter use them for sound. No need for a amp and the sound isn't bad at all.

How big is the room? Are we talking about a living room or a bedroom? I'de agree with GOAT in saying that ever since BOSE sold out they are no longer worth the price including the 3-2-1 System which use to be reasonably priced. Also Im assuming that you are using them with your PS3 so are you running audio straight to the reciever from the PS3 or are you using audio outputs from your TV? Also if you don't have a reciever and plan to just use them to replace your current TV speakers check on the output your TV has before even considering buying the speakers on there own.

JBL has always made good speakers both in home theater and venue/arena categories and you can usually find them moderately priced. http://www.amazon.com/JBL-CS480BG-Complete-6-Piece-Theater/dp/B000O7N4IE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1247507544&sr=8-2

While those arent the best they are decent for your price range.

If your using it in a smaller room (Bedroom) you made not need that much power so as long as your not pushing the system to peak capacity you should get decent audio quality out of what is a lower-middle end system like the link above.

yeah the system is only for my bedroom which I would guess is roughly 12x11. I would like one speaker right next to the tv and one next to my bed. I can mount speakers without a problem in here. I guess they would be the main ones because I have nothing else. I don't need to have an amazing sound. I don't really need it for music, only games, tv and movies. I'm just looking for a quality sound.

Prane ]

yeah the system is only for my bedroom which I would guess is roughly 12x11. I would like one speaker right next to the tv and one next to my bed. I can mount speakers without a problem in here. I guess they would be the main ones because I have nothing else. I don't need to have an amazing sound. I don't really need it for music, only games, tv and movies. I'm just looking for a quality sound.

Thats not going to sound good no matter what you do. lol

That first set up in Shadows post is what i have for my PC.. it wont work for your TV. (unless it is slightly different than mine, or you buy adapters which is what i think he posted)

Whatever you buy, just make sure you can plug it in. ;D

Also if you want true directional sound, you have to have your speakers set up evenly throughout the room.

2 speaker set: both should be set on opposite sides of the TV facing out.

ONLY put speakers near you or behind you if you have a surround sound system.

It should work if he is running out of the RCA for his audio output. But the speakers are wired fairly close so you may want to go with the 3rd option or simply shop around an A/V store.

The second one is best suited for you though as it has all satelite speakers, a wireless remote and a digital optical input for your playstation. With decent sound quality, $250 isnt a bad price.

Ok actually I do like that one and I got a fat check today so I have no qualms with buying that set. I have a few questions about it for you guys though. I take it that the satellites are the speakers but what is the center channel for? How does it all setup? Should I hook them up to my tv or the ps3? Forgive my stupidity but this is not my area of expertise. Thanks again for the help.

In a surround sound 5.1 system the center channel carries the majority of the sound.. mainly the voice. When a Dolby recorded video or game is played the center channel accounts for about 50% of the sound. The left and right front speakers carry the majority of the rest and the rear speakers are background fillers for effect (the surround sound effect). You want to place the center channel speaker near or above your TV if your TV is the center point of your system. The reason the speakers (or satellites) are small is they don't have to include a larger coil speaker for low frequency (bass) reproduction. The sub-woofer carries the low frequency sound and since lower frequencies are more omni-directional and penetrate well the sub can actually be placed anywhere in the room and achieve the desired result. Only the higher range sound.. is sent to the satellites which means they can get by with only tweeters and a small mid coil speaker. When combined with the low frequency from the sub you get a full sound reproduction. Set them up similar to this...

5.1_diagram.jpg

If you know how to fish a wire into a wall and you have an attic above the room you can route the wires hidden. Or if you have a bit of carpentry skills you can remove the baseboards and run the wires behind it then re-install the baseboards.. or else you can also use a fish tape and run the wires under the carpet or tuck them in along the wall just under the baseboards. If you don't care about the wires you can also just run them behind furniture, dressers, bed, couches etc.. Some small systems may have the satellite speaker outputs on the sub because the cross-over (mid, high low frequency splitter of sorts) is located in the sub enclosure. This means you run full sound to the sub then out of the sub's crossover you hook your speakers (satellites) to it. In this case have your sub close to your output source (console or player) and run your speaker wires to each location from the subs position.

Other than that.. I'm sure you can figure it out since there is usually a similar diagram or instruction sheet included with the speaker system.