Third Call of Duty: World at War map pack coming in August

cod5wawdlc.jpg

Call of Duty fans' heads are likely still swimming with the thought that they might own night vision goggles by year's end, but Activision's still cranking out Call of Duty: World at War DLC for fans living in the here and now. August will mark the release of the third map pack for the game, the company announced today.

As with the second map pack, the three new maps ("Battery," "Revolution," and "Breach") have been developed in conjunction with Certain Affinity, the team of former Bungie guys behind Age of Booty. There's also a new zombie map, "Der Riese," provided for your brain-blasting pleasure.

COD: Map Pack 3 - first screens

Battery: An armored island surrounded by anti-ship mines and shore to ship cannons, "Battery" places soldiers on a mid-sized map based on Fort Drum (El Fraile Island) in the Philippines. Expect plenty of areas to hide and heavy close quarters combat.

Breach: Overwhelm the enemy in Breach, set in Berlin's overcast and crowded city streets surrounding the historic Brandenburg Gate. Only the fittest will survive in this fast-paced, dense battlefield.

Revolution: Revolution pits soldiers against each other in Russia's cold city streets and large factory environment. Keep your fingers warm, your gun loaded, and your head low through this sniper-friendly territory.

Der Riese (Zombie Factory): Fight for your life in Der Riese (Zombie Factory), an all-new Zombie map set in a secret Nazi research facility featuring the Pack A Punch Machine, a device capable of upgrading weapons at the touch of a button. Use the teleporters to escape the vicious Hell Hounds and pray that the Wunderwaffe will appear before it's too late. This map includes 10 new Achievements/Trophies.

c252df42730295.gif 0a58a042730298.gif aa11a042730293.gif

World at War Map Pack 3 Adds 10 New Achievements

The four maps - three regular, one zombie - being added next month to Call of Duty: World at War will bring with them 10 new achievements, one of them hinting at some unusual weaponry.

"Acquire Waffle Weapons!" is earned once you pick up the "Ray Gun," "DG-2" and "Monkey Bomb" at the same time. There's also a mention of a teleporter. I haven't played CoD:WaW in a while, but this is the first I've heard of any ray guns. Sounds like the game's getting a little pulp science-fictiony with secret weapons of the Third Reich.

The full list is below. They went up on the official site July 23.

• 40 Knives!:

Kill 40 zombies with the bowie knife.

• Acquire Waffle Weapons!:

Obtain the Ray Gun, DG-2, and the Monkey Bomb at the same time in a game.

• Der electrican!:

Link all teleport pads before round 7.

• Frequent Flyer!:

Use the teleporter 8 times.

• Locksmith!:

Open all doors in the map.

• The Might of the Monkey!:

Use the Monkey Bomb.

• Perkaholics Anonymous!:

Survive untill round 20 without buying a single perk.

• Pack Addict!:

Upgrade 5 weapons at the Pack A Punch Machine.

• Wacker Packer!:

Upgrade any weapon in Pack A Punch.

• Elevate Your Senses!:

???

Chili-Palmer ]

I think because they put all their efforts towards MW2.

Im sure there will be a few map packs for MW2.

Oh, NO DOUBT. They have already said there will be a map pack for the XBOX shortly after release. I think all these companies have realized the extra money they can make on one game. Think about it. If you want to keep up with the Joneses, if you will, CoD:WAW cost $90 for the game and KZ2 will cost you $78.

I think its common practice for these Dev's to make several map pack's along with the game and release them a little bit at a time.

Chili-Palmer ]

Well yea.. all of the past CoD's were made by Treyarch weren't they..?

And why would Treyarch make a map pack for an Infinity Ward game.!?

treayrch is like infinity wards bitch, lol.

No all main COD titles were developed by Infinity ward, i think the PS2, the PSP, the cod1 expansion pack and COD W@W were made by treyarch.

Treyarch also did Call of Duty 2: Big Red One, and Call of Duty 3 ;D

And this one (CoD7) which I'm not sure is accurate. (i hope not, it says Cold War.. I'm hoping for Vietnam)

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/callofduty7workingtitle/index.html?tag=result;title;4

What we heard: As Call of Duty: World at War was being finalized last fall, its developer indicated that it could be the final Call of Duty game set during World War II. After saying that the now-best-seller's setting had already been decided when Treyarch came on board, senior producer Noah Heller dropped a major hint that it would be the last entry in the series based on the 1939-1945 conflict.

"I won't let your readers read into the comment too much, but we are showing the final battles of the Pacific and the European Theater, and that lets us put a close to the war," he told OXM UK magazine last year. "I'm sure game companies will be making World War II games for years to come, and World War II is a very classic war. But we're happy that we put the war to bed."

This week, a That Videogame Blog article sparked a rumor firestorm that Treyarch may move the series to another Pacific Rim locale: Vietnam. Citing a "reliable" source, the blog reported that, "Activision is looking to license music for 'Call of Duty 7,' music that gives some serious hints as to the locations the game may take us. Mentioned were Vietnam War-era tunes, as well as Cuban, African, and Soviet Union music. The source says Call of Duty: World at War's senior producer Noah Heller is involved, so it looks like Treyarch is once again developing."

The official story: Activision reps covering the Call of Duty franchises politely declined to comment.

Bogus or not bogus?: Looking not bogus, given that apparently That Videogame Blog's source was pressured to recant. Several hours after the original story went live (cached version linked above), it was hurriedly replaced by an apologetic note.

"Whoops, looks like talking about this is too soon for some people and our source has requested of us to remove the story," reads the new post.

Although an intriguing concept, Vietnam-era shooters have proven problematic in the past, with Battlefield: Vietnam, Men of Valor, Vietcong, Conflict: Vietnam, and 2004's Shellshock: 'Nam '67 selling poorly. (The latter two games were also fragged by critics.) Given the multiple locales, another possibility could be a game set in the hotspots of the decades-long conflict between the United States and the Soviet Union. Call of Duty: Cold Warfare, anyone?

I think Vietnam would be better than Cold War, but we'll see what they go with.

Tool_Minion ]
IRISH BULL ]

I just played the demo last night, and now I'm sorry I never bought the full game. This game looks and sounds amazing.

There's a demo? I think I'll try that out......

Yea, it just came out last week. Its pretty short. You can play alone or with 3 other people online.