Clunkers for Cash Program

Anyone use this yet? I was seriously thinking of trading in my 1997 Monte Carlo, its on the qualification list.

On the same note, does anyone have recommendations for a full size pickup truck with an extended cab. If I do this program, I'm looking for a extended cab with a tow package between 4,000 - 6,000 lbs. I'm eventually gonna invest in a camper.

Honestly i think it all depends on price & looks.

I think you could be happy & be able to tow with:

Ford - F250/350 (8700/10700)

Chevy - 2500/3500 (9700/10000)

Dodge - w/e HD (9250/11000)

Toyota - Tundra (4800/7000)

Nissan - Titan (6500/9000)

Just dont get a half ton.. F150, 1500, Tacoma, etc.

Don't forget you can only buy a truck/car that meet the qualifications as well. Its funny you posted this up because I was looking at this last night. I'm thinking about trading in my 95 beretta and buying a 2009 Fusion SEL for $18,000. It has a 0% apr for the first 60 months!! On a 5 year I would pay like $200 a month. Which is very doable for me as a 20 year old. This is a great buyers market.

What are you towing? Boat, Travel Trailer, or vehicles?

Edited because I found more info...

The Ford F150 can tow up to 11,300 pounds. You'll have to get the 5.4 engine and what ever Tow Package that will be rated for that. But it might come standard on some of the models. XLT probably, Lariet most likely.

I sold Ford Trucks for 10 years so I'm a little one sided.

But pound for pound when you put the F150 up against anything on the market and put them side by side Ford is always a step ahead.

You have to look for little things like. Bolted on Bed instead of Welded on bed. The suspension on the F-150 is far more beefier then anything. Turn the front wheels and compare for your self.

Also the doors are double sealed.

The bed has actual places to tie things down. Everyone else has small little hooks or nothing at all or they make you up grade.

Also the F150 weights 500lbs more then any truck on the market. Why it's because of all the extra stuff they give you. Everyone else are Car Companies that build Trucks when Ford is a Truck Company that builds a few cars. And they all cost about the same money.

Would you like to pay with cash or would you be taking advantage of our great financing options today?

Prane ]

Don't forget you can only buy a truck/car that meet the qualifications as well. Its funny you posted this up because I was looking at this last night. I'm thinking about trading in my 95 beretta and buying a 2009 Fusion SEL for $18,000. It has a 0% apr for the first 60 months!! On a 5 year I would pay like $200 a month. Which is very doable for me as a 20 year old. This is a great buyers market.

I've been searching and it does not appear that new trucks are part of the program. It looks like its mostly compact cars from all different makers. If I'm wrong, and I hope I'm wrong, can someone post a link for all the new cars that are eligible.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/CarsSelectYear1.jsp

p.s. another useless gov. program..

you can't trade anything above a 18mpg gas consumption..

you can't trade anything that is less Gross Weight then what you are buying..

i.e. you can't get a large truck with a mid car trade..

if you happen to have a big ole honking gas guzzling 1 ton pickup you can get $4500 towards a spanking brand new Kia sub-compact.. ..

Screw that.. I'll keep my 10mpg 1 ton Dodge Power Wagon Ram.. let's just see someone in a Kia try to cut me off on the road. ;D

IRISH BULL ]

Anyone use this yet? I was seriously thinking of trading in my 1997 Monte Carlo, its on the qualification list.

On the same note, does anyone have recommendations for a full size pickup truck with an extended cab. If I do this program, I'm looking for a extended cab with a tow package between 4,000 - 6,000 lbs. I'm eventually gonna invest in a camper.

I think I remember seeing something that said the vehicle you purchase has to get 22 MPG or more. As far as trucks go I can't complain about my F250 with the V10 and a crew cab. It doesn't see more than 11 MPG though even with a tail wind. lol

The F250 or Chevy 2500 are the way to go for towing and if you think you might might be doing any off road driving you might consider 4x4. I wouldn't go the places I go without it.

MarauderHD ]

What are you towing? Boat, Travel Trailer, or vehicles?

Edited because I found more info...

The Ford F150 can tow up to 11,300 pounds. You'll have to get the 5.4 engine and what ever Tow Package that will be rated for that. But it might come standard on some of the models. XLT probably, Lariet most likely.

I sold Ford Trucks for 10 years so I'm a little one sided.

But pound for pound when you put the F150 up against anything on the market and put them side by side Ford is always a step ahead.

You have to look for little things like. Bolted on Bed instead of Welded on bed. The suspension on the F-150 is far more beefier then anything. Turn the front wheels and compare for your self.

Also the doors are double sealed.

The bed has actual places to tie things down. Everyone else has small little hooks or nothing at all or they make you up grade.

Also the F150 weights 500lbs more then any truck on the market. Why it's because of all the extra stuff they give you. Everyone else are Car Companies that build Trucks when Ford is a Truck Company that builds a few cars. And they all cost about the same money.

Would you like to pay with cash or would you be taking advantage of our great financing options today?

Yes the F150 has a decent tow rating but there are a lot of things to consider when hauling trailers/boats etc. The differences between the F150 and 250 are staggering when you start looking at the size of the breaks and drive train for example. Just because it says it can tow that much doesn't mean you won't be dragging the ass of your truck all over the state and don't even get me started on trying to slow that trailer down on a steep mountain. Point is that where an F150 will be burning the breaks up on a downhill the 250 will be just fine. Not to mention with the V-10 you can set that thing on cruise at 70 while towing and just sit back and relax.

It really comes down to what your hauling. If your towing a little tent trailer or a small boat you'll be fine but if your thinking about hauling a 30 foot fifth wheel or large boat you have to have a big heavy truck. Just because the Ford says the F150 can tow 11,300 pounds doesn't mean I would feel comfortable in a wind storm on the highway with more than about 5,000 pounds ;)

Polaris ]

The program used up available funds, from what I understand.

If you want in on the initial go-round, the transaction must be done by tomorrow, 8/2.

Program got another 2Billion pumped into it on Thursday, though.

Read that last week. Was very surprised at that.

• Directors

I will say that my F150 is great... I had to drag a scissor lift down to persidio tx on a trailer from midland and got through the mountains just fine... though I think my truck would have smacked the crap out of me for doing it.

xRed0ctobeRx ]

94 dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel. It gets over 20 MPG and with the right mods you can get over 200 lb/ft all stock add ons.

Yeah Diesel is a whole other ball game. Yes you do get much better gas mileage and 5 or 6 years ago diesel used to be cheaper than unleaded. Since then diesel has gone up higher than unleaded. Add that to the maintenance costs of a diesel and it starts to add up pretty fast. The best benefits of a diesel IMO is the range since you get better mileage you can go farther without stopping for gas. Also with a diesel you can tow some serious weight. It's a trade off my V10 can haul some pretty serious weight but I can't pass a gas station but the maintenance costs oil changes etc. are cheaper. Not to mention my truck is pretty quiet where diesel's especially ones that are a little older like yours are loud and have a tendency to want to rattle your brain out of your head. :D

xRed0ctobeRx ]

94 dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel. It gets over 20 MPG and with the right mods you can get over 200 lb/ft all stock add ons.

200 ft lbs of...?

If you're talking torque 200 would pathetic on a HD diesel, it should be more like 400+