CONNECTION Polling

• 1 year later...
  • Directors

1781208559.png

So I upgraded today for the purpose of live streaming but when are these guys going to close the gap between up and down... I will settle for a lower down if I can have a faster upload just saying.

Going off your question Shane, I would add this. I wonder what percentage of the population is sending information out rather then receiving?

I bet it is pretty even in this day and age, even with the disparity between a usual upload/download speed. So I would say your question is an excellent one, but I wonder if it is even possible.

• Directors

100% but of that 100% online gamers send the most data... followed by heavy facebook and youtube users that post pics, vids, etc...

That is just a personal estimate on the order...

Every person sends data, but in most cases its not a 1 to 1 ratio... however for gaming 1 to 1 is the ultimate lag killer... if you were in a perfect environment everyone would have matching upload and download speeds.

• 2 years later...

I upgraded my Comcast cable to their Blast! version. Gaming with no lag now. I think it also depends on where you live too, imo. When I lived in Atlantic City NJ & NYC I always lagged even with faster speeds. Now I live in rural New Jersey and it is smooth as can be. Not sure if that matters or not. Damn it Jim! I'm a gamer, not an I.T. expert! I'm happy with my connection, for now. ;-)

Edited by SHADOWx609
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

For the poll I pay for 50x5
4970925540.png

To answer, at least give some information, about your question on why cable is not symmetrical.

There are a few reasons.

1: Apparently it cost ISPs more for upload with their backbone interconnect. I know for a fact that Time Warner Cable has made a business decision to limit the bandwidth at their interconnects with other backbone providers and I believe there are 6 interconnects. So in essence they are throttling us at those points.

2: Cable (Coax) was not designed for symmetrical transferring.

3: It is a way to limit P2P traffic.

Now in the past year or so cable companies are increasing bandwidth with DOCSIS3 and trying to compete with Fiber options but of course my area Time Warner is the only option so I am screwed because they don't have any competition to worry about. Areas with Google, ATT Fiber and Verizon FIOS cable options are in the 300X30 range.

Honestly I would be fine with 50x5 IF they turned up my QoS. Actually I would like to have 10up at least. Testing at work, business class, I get 5ms to servers 100 miles away. Same provider, higher speeds and same test to same server I get 20-25ms from home. That latency is huge in gaming!

Military including Active, Reserve, Veteran and Dependents get 50% off of our Spec Ops Premium Experience

Important Information

By visiting this site you agree to our Privacy Policy and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search