Firmware 3.0 Could be PlayStation 3’s New Xbox Experience

It’s that time of the year, when rumors come flying near a gaming event. Starting August 19th, and running through to Sunday, August 23rd, is GamesCom. Of course, new rumors are here, and this time they’re on PlayStation Network.

The latest rumor comes from PlayStation Insider, who say their source has told them that Sony is set to announce Firmware 3.0 at their upcoming press conference. It is said they were careful not to say it would not release the day of announcement. However, they will announce it, and detail the features that come with it. The source says that this firmware will coincide with the launch of the new PlayStation Network.

There was a rumor some time ago that suggested that Sony would be releasing a new PSN service, one that would have you pay a one flat rate for access to unlimited downloads. It would still have online play, and the other features for free though. Think of it as Xbox Live, but with the perk of gaining access all content on the network. Whether this plan is still in play though has yet to be determined.

BigMoneyNacku ]

That might be cool. It would be cooler if they could fix it though. I get sick of everything freezing when you try to access the xmb in-game. Does it on every game, and sometimes I have to hard restart.

I've only had that happen during Socom... No other game...

So is it XMB ... or the game code that runs along XMB that cause it to freeze?

I'm going with the latter

BigMoneyNacku ]

No matter what game. If I'm playing and try to open the xmb, it gets all goofy. It has only froze that way a few times. Not as often as Socom freezes the system, of course, but enough that I notice it.

its happened to me a few times as well man. its happened more often these last few months tho. Im afraid my ps3 is finally gonna take a dump on me and im gonna be stuck without one for a long while.

“NEW†PSN Is Most Likely Backwards Compatibilty and PS2 Store

With all eyes fixed on next week’s GamesCom in Cologne, speculation has been at an all time high. Many publications are going out on a limb and betting the farm on news coming in from “sourcesâ€. Playstation Insider, has even gone as far saying that they know everything Sony has in store for the convention. They go on to list: PSP Go price cut, PS3 Slim, New PSN, and Firmware 3.0, as all being present at the show.

As far as a PSP Go price cut, I personally have never seen product receive a price cut before it’s launched in any industry, especially the video game industry. There is a possibility that Sony has been listening to the gaming public’s out cry about the price, but the most you can likely expect is a downloadable-game voucher pack-in, not a price cut. It’s a premium product, with a premium price.

The PS3 Slim’s announcement at this point is obvious and I don’t feel like beating a dead horse. I’ll let the N4G crowd kill each other over this one.

The last two mentions were the ones that I found most interesting out of the entire bunch. This “New†PSN being referred to is most likely a new PSN Store, namely a PS2 Store. Firmware 3.0, rather than introducing things gamers have been waiting on like voice messaging and cross-game chat, will probably bring about the long forgotten “Backwards Compatibility†feature.

Does Sony’s very recent patent of Emotion Engine emulation technology on the Cell Processor ring a bell? If not, have a look for yourself. Maybe your a skeptic, and reading patent information isn’t your thing, well in that case check out this photo from about a year ago (which everyone has forgotten about), right before the PSN Video Store was launched. It Showcases the PS2’s Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty in a PSN-like store. Coincidence, highly doubt it.