Guest -Fury

What to get DS or PSP.. I will be traveling a lot in the next year, flights all over for MLG and School. I get kind of bored on the long flights and need something to do.

So give positives and negatives, prices, cool games for it, and what you think i should invest in.

If you have any other ideas other than these two let me know.

Thx

I've got a PSP. I play games on it, I watch movies/tv on it, and I use it to surf the web when I don't have a computer handy.

I'm a big fan of putting movies/tv shows on my PSP. It takes some time to encode things, but I can fit roughly 10 half-hour tv shows (roughly 23 min runtime each) on a 1GB Memory Stick. The quality settings I use are pretty good, so you could fit more if you don't mind scrimping more on sound/framerate. The battery lasts pretty long if your running stuff off a Memory Stick, and still decent if accessing stuff from a UMD or using the Wi-Fi. Also, look into the "Location Free Player" which allows you to access your own home content (TV, computer, etc) over the internet.

Like every system there are good games, and there are bad games. The PSP has some software that rivals true PS2 consoles games. I've really gotten into Killzone: Liberation (despite being frustratingly hard) and recently Metal Gear: Portable Ops. There are plenty of titles now, and usually can be found for a decent price ($30 CDN). The battery does die quicker when playing games, especially if the PSP is accessing the UMD a lot, and sometimes my fingers feel cramped from the control schemes of some games. Also, some games allow "game sharing" which essentially allows you to get a demo from your buddy so you can play. It's only good until you turn off your PSP (or exit to the cross media bar), but can allow you to play some games (like Bomberman!!) head to head (up to 4 people) via ad-hoc networking off of one UMD.

Browsing the net is okay. The "keyboard" is a bit of a pain, but to check email or look something up it works pretty good. I don't use it to send email or post on message boards though because it can be tedious, but then again I don't text much on my phone either.

The price has come way down on PSPs since I got mine, and they can do a heck of a lot. I'm not really into it, but some of my more tech-savvy clanmates also run "homebrew" applications on their PSPs. They can pretty much do whatever they want with it, running all kinds of unofficial software.

This isn't very coherrent, but I do like my PSP and use it a lot. I don't even have music or photos on it, but it can hold those as well, and there are some neat add-ons that are out in Japan that we don't have yet (like a GPS transponder).

Guest [APC] 6ravity

If you're the kind of guy that is looking to JUST play a handheld game... go with the DS.

If you don't own an MP3 player, and like the thought of enjoying TV/movies/internet on the go, take a look at the psp. The DS game library is much better than the PSP's, and thats coming from an unbiased person who has owned both.

Something else to keep in mind, I believe the "PSP II" is hitting the market within a year (or so I remember reading), so you may have an outdated piece of technology fairly soon.

Fury.....I would have to recommend the PSP. The Nintendo DS has primarily games for kids, my nephew and nieces love it. As an adult, Id have to say the psp. On your PSP, you can have music, movies and games. As an american service member who doesnt spend more than 4 months straight at home, I travel quite frequently. Right now I am deployed and thanks to HAVOC, I got a new one. This system keeps me sane and you can put ANYTHING (video wise) on the memory stick. Plus, SOCOM Fireteam Bravo (1, i dont have 2) is pretty fun online. Thats all I can tell you since the DS is mainly a childs gaming system.

Sav

QUESTION

What program do any of you recommend for saving downladable movies onto your PSP. I want to download some good quality movies or take DVD movies and put them on my memory card. So what does anyone recommend that is simple and efficient to use? Time is money man. ;D

Also I have a PSP and love it.

I have both a PSP and a Ds, but I recomend the PSP over the DS there is just so much more you can do with it, moives, games, pictures, music , internet, damn you can even mod it and put an emulator or two on it and play the super nes games.... plus if you end up modding it you can put a bunch of homebrews on it.....

I"ve owned both and like someone else lready said. If you just want to play games, go with the DS. If you want it all go with the PSP. My personal biggest difference is my hands don't cramp up near as bad playing the DS. Hell with how cheap the DS is, get both!!!

-Tha_Savage- ]

...I recomment the "PSP Video 9" program. Thats what I use for all of my "adult" movies on my 2 GB stick LOL

To encode video files for the PSP I use PSP Video 9 as well. There is a little bit of trial an error involved because it isn't very well documented, but once you've got it figured out, it kicks ass. It only encodes existing media files, so if you want to encode a movie you have on DVD you'll have to rip it first (I use DVD Decrypter).

6raVIty ]

...Something else to keep in mind, I believe the "PSP II" is hitting the market within a year (or so I remember reading), so you may have an outdated piece of technology fairly soon.

My understanding is that the "new" PSPs simply have some design changes (similar to how Sony made a "fat" PS2 and a "slim" one). Here is the article from IGN.

I have talked to some friends and it seems I might get a PSP.. the game selection is pretty slim and doesnt look to great but I can just watch movies and listen to music for now, it seems they might have some good games coming out in the Fall.

DS had some pretty cool games but I didnt wanna be playin pokemon all the time.