Iraq for Sale...

I didn't watch the movie, but I'm not going to waste my time.

Wars have been a boost for the US economy for a long time, and to think this has started with Iraq is a serious display of historical ignorance. We never really got out of the Great Depression until AFTER WWII hit. During WWI, until we actually ENTERED the war, the US economy got such a HUGE boost from supplying and helping the Allied countries that the debts these countries owed to the US had to be forgiven by the US just so the European countries could concentrate on rebuilding their homelands.

Point is, this isn't anything new. It's been a pattern that has been going on for quite some time. America goes to war, and the economy sees a major boost. Lather, rinse, repeat.

i may be showing my ignorance here but....

how does this boost our economy? it's our money that we are paying us is it not?

these are US contractors taking US tax dollars... seems like maybe we could uses the guys that volunteer to be in the armed forces to do these jobs and pay them a reasonable amount of money. then take the money saved and use it to boost our economy by some other means. to simple? am i missing something? are our solders not capable of doing these jobs?

Edmaster ]

I didn't watch the movie, but I'm not going to waste my time.

Wars have been a boost for the US economy for a long time, and to think this has started with Iraq is a serious display of historical ignorance. We never really got out of the Great Depression until AFTER WWII hit. During WWI, until we actually ENTERED the war, the US economy got such a HUGE boost from supplying and helping the Allied countries that the debts these countries owed to the US had to be forgiven by the US just so the European countries could concentrate on rebuilding their homelands.

Point is, this isn't anything new. It's been a pattern that has been going on for quite some time. America goes to war, and the economy sees a major boost. Lather, rinse, repeat.

You are correct that wars have boosted our economy by creating manufacturing jobs or blue collar jobs. But that was for US citizens in the US. With KBR contracting the water treatment plants and feeding our troops we have even taken responsibilities from our own troops and are paying someone else to do it. Why?

do they really blow up brand new truck just because they get a flat tire? or was that some michael moore extreme example?

i saw a very disturbing thing last week end about private security companies over there. it said they pay untrained club bouncers 6 times as much as a US service person make to transport our own us army core of engineers around.

they just run people over that get in their way, shoot people, and answer at this point basically answer to nobody.

Guest [iLL] Andawg

I'm not sure exactly where you were going with that Forest, if it's sarcasim about the government paying themselves, or paying companies owned by their supporters that helped get them into office. ANd some jobs our boys can't do, and not due to lack of ability, but more that they are held back by our already confused justice system. When a missle is fired from a lawyers desk before the button is pushed in the field, there's an issue.

im just saying it would be nice to know what is really going on. i am not being sarcastic at all. maybe the video is not true, maybe it is. maybe it is true, and there is a real good explanation for why they do the things they do. i can't imagine the logistics in something like what ever it is we are doing. it's very hard just to keep track of my own clan of less than 50 people on a stupid video game.

with all we are able to do with todays technology don't you think there should be a way get the truth out there? the real truth, not some waco extremist's documentary, or some false or 75% classified government document.

forest42 ]

im just saying it would be nice to know what is really going on. i am not being sarcastic at all. maybe the video is not true, maybe it is. maybe it is true, and there is a real good explanation for why they do the things they do. i can't imagine the logistics in something like what ever it is we are doing. it's very hard just to keep track of my own clan of less than 50 people on a stupid video game.

with all we are able to do with todays technology don't you think there should be a way get the truth out there? the real truth, not some waco extremist's documentary, or some false or 75% classified government document.

That is why I posted this. Is it true, is it some wacko spewing false information? I agree that with the technology we should be able to find out but in the same breath it is that easy to cover it up too.

I know a few of the people here in UF are ex military and served or still serving in Iraq, what do they see?

That was the purpose of the original post. I don't believe everything on TV but obviously there are things that are truthful.

Guest [iLL] Andawg

When Billions of dollars are added to major legislation by many legislators for their own personal pet projects. The most recent I've heard about was there is at least 2 Billion added to the Federal Transportation and Housing initiative for things such as a basball park, and museums. 2 Billion added to a bill that is supposed to be for transportation and housing. Imagine what 2 Billion could due for Katrina?

well my wife works with the homeless here in myrtle beach. there are a lot of them. what is sadist to me is that a good many of them are vets. most of them are so messed up that there in not much that can even been done to help them. if someone gave my wife's program 1000 more dollars it would do amazing things.

what could you do with a billion? i can sure as shit guarantee that if they ordered the wrong food and blankets they would not take it and through it in the ocean.

I read something very similar to this in a I believe rolling stone article that my friend showed me... as soon as I read the first 3 paragraphs I could predict what the rest of the article was going to say. Frankly, I think that article and this documentary are dramatized truths. The article I read had zero sources or footnotes, so I took that with a pinch of salt. It also mentioned only one instance, which I felt wasn't legitamite, because anyone can fault one problem and the system, but if they don't look at it in perspective to everything else it means nothing. It seemed like they took one example and went in broad strokes to paint it as if the entire system was that way...

Take anything you hear with a pinch of salt. Until you're actually involved in it first hand there is always a slant or a bias, no matter what.

Andawg ]

When Billions of dollars are added to major legislation by many legislators for their own personal pet projects. The most recent I've heard about was there is at least 2 Billion added to the Federal Transportation and Housing initiative for things such as a basball park, and museums. 2 Billion added to a bill that is supposed to be for transportation and housing. Imagine what 2 Billion could due for Katrina?

Yea like build new Ball Parks, & Museums. lol

(Obviously there are tons of other things they need, but those would be included.! :))