School asks pupils to bring own toilet roll

DUBLIN (Reuters) – Irish parents struggling to buy schoolbooks and uniforms in the face of a deep recession may now have to worry about sending their children to school with a toilet roll as well as a packed lunch.

Pupils at a primary school in the southern county of Cork are being asked to bring their own toilet paper to school to help save money, one of the starkest examples yet of the death of Ireland's "Celtic Tiger" economy.

"The letter was sent out just as a way of balancing books here in the school and not intended as a demand," said Catherine O'Neill, principal at St John's Girls National School.

O'Neill said the request was made because of cuts to government grants for books and computers. She added that parents were responding well.

"I've done a quick tour of the classrooms this morning and I'd say at least half the pupils have brought them (toilet rolls) in," she told national broadcaster RTE.

"I have no doubt that there are an enormous number of schools out there that are doing the same thing."

Prane ]

Don't think this makes America's public school system any better Lucky, it sucks let me tell you.....Unless your rich that is.

I dunno about that. It depends on where you live. Rural areas public schools are just fine. It's the schools in overcrowded districts that have problems.

I don't think the school system itself here sucks. I've always believed its more of a personal thing. You either take school seriously and study hard and get ahead or you use school to meet friends and socialize and party and fail. There is time for everything, just some people prefer to dedicate most of their time to partying.

Prane ]

Don't think this makes America's public school system any better Lucky, it sucks let me tell you.....Unless your rich that is.

our economy is worst off then here and the schools are much better the schools back home are from the 80's nothings new desks are all written over no money for janitors dirt parkin lot in some of the school but as far as desire to learn its not too different

Nikastylez ]

I don't think the school system itself here sucks. I've always believed its more of a personal thing. You either take school seriously and study hard and get ahead or you use school to meet friends and socialize and party and fail. There is time for everything, just some people prefer to dedicate most of their time to partying.

Its a little easier to learn when you have a nice school with books, and computers, and quality facilities. Its not fun trying to learn when there are gangs all around and your school is falling apart and overcrowded. School quality is a direct result of the incomes of the residents of the school lines. School lines have been gerrymandered forever. Great schools for the predominantly white kids and crappy schools for the minorities. There is only so much an individual can do on their own.

Prane ]
Nikastylez ]

Its a little easier to learn when you have a nice school with books, and computers, and quality facilities. Its not fun trying to learn when there are gangs all around and your school is falling apart and overcrowded. School quality is a direct result of the incomes of the residents of the school lines. School lines have been gerrymandered forever. Great schools for the predominantly white kids and crappy schools for the minorities. There is only so much an individual can do on their own.

thats why you move to a better school system i even switched countries

i know for sure no one here is currently in a public school, but my school has no toilet paper.

Even funnier because of budget costs the school has NO paper, teachers have to bring their own paper to give out handouts. The irony, just last year we got smartboard for every room (our school lobbied for them and got the grant)

CDBS14 ]

i know for sure no one here is currently in a public school' date=' but my school has no toilet paper.

Even funnier because of budget costs the school has NO paper, teachers have to bring their own paper to give out handouts. The irony, just last year we got smartboard for every room (our school lobbied for them and got the grant)

[/quote']

back in high school my school had no money for paper but had money for an elevator attendent

LuckyS_T_A_R_S ]
Prane ]
Nikastylez ]

Well the funny thing about moving to a better district is that those districts cost more to live in. Better schools=better taxes=better houses. Its not that simple to move around bud.

Prane ]
LuckyS_T_A_R_S ]
Prane ]
Nikastylez ]

Well the funny thing about moving to a better district is that those districts cost more to live in. Better schools=better taxes=better houses. Its not that simple to move around bud.

i didnt have a problem and sometimes it isnt the cost of living that has the school so down it could be poor management by the school board corruption a number of things