Boat & Trailer Painting question

Guest Attitude

Guest Attitude

I need some tips for two DIY projects that have gotten more complex as I research them. I bought a boat at the end of last summer with some exterior cosmetic fixes that I would like to make and I'm hoping someone will have some simple "quick methods" to help me out with. Paying a professional to do both are out of the question as estimates have come back in the thousands. This boat is a 24 foot cruiser that is 23 years old and I don't need it to look like a million bucks.

1) The boat used to be water docked every day with the previous owner, but I will be land docking it on a trailer everyday. The boat had an anti-fouling paint applied to the hull and being out of the water, it looks terrible and is in need of removal and restoring of the original finish or just a new re-application of the stuff. Either way, this layer needs to be sanded off first. So my first question is whats the easiest/fastest way to go about it without damaging the gelcoat underneath the paint, and if anyone has done this, what else should I be aware of?

2) I also want to paint the trailer for the above mentioned boat but it's a galvanized metal/steel trailer. I have gotten so many do this, try that responses, but nobody has painted galvanized who has told me these tips. I know you can't use just any type of paint and there will be prep work and possibly primer coats so the paint won't react with the zinc. What do I have to do to as far as prep work if any to get the paint to stay attached for more then a month?

You are in luck Attitude. I myself have been a professional for over 20 years in the automotive refinishing profession. The trailer should be very easy and simple. we'll have to do some research on getting the cheapest products that will not give up quality but I see this perhaps being a 2 step painting process. Since I haven't done too many boats in my day I'll need to do a little digging around for tips on the hull process. I'll let you know. Have you looked up anything on the hull?

Looks like BC will get you squared away. Just know that painting galvanized is not as difficult as people would have you believe. As anyone who is a paint pro will tell you, prep is everything. Do your prep work thoroughly and the finish coats are easy.

Guest Attitude

Thanks for chiming in guys. I'm hoping the responses are something will will help me out. and Cloud, yes I have done some homework on the hull. What info do you need? or are you just asking if I know what I'm getting myself into?

Ok lets start with the trailer. Painting galvanized is really easy. Go ahead and get you a box of red scotch brites. You will need them for both projects.

Go ahead and remove anything from the trailer that you can without causung too much damage.i.e lights ,rails ,bumpers. If there is a possibility of breaking something you can just mask it up.

First thing is first you will need to CLEAN CLEAN and CLEAN the trailer. I would use a degreaser and then soap and water. Would probaly be a good idea to use a red scotch brite in this process to scrub it down and scuff the trailer at the same time.

After it is cleaned and fully dried scuff it off again with a new scotch bright. Be sure to cover every scare inch.

Next you will need to wipe it down with a prep solvent,( wax and grease remover). Wipe it on and dry it off with clean lint free towels.

Once this is done wife any remaing dust of lightly with a tack rag( Tack wrags nedd to be opeend up and bunched toger like a scrunchy ball. wipe lightly to prevent the wax from the wrag to tranfer to the trailer.

Now you are ready to paint.

first step will be to spay the trailer with a few coats of a self etching primer. This can be found in an automotive paint store in an airisol can. You may need 2 cans or 3 depending on the size of the trailer.

Now for the top coat process. Most etching primers can be spayed on wet on wet but I prefer to let it flash and repeat the scuff and tack process.

Once this is done you can now proceed to apply your paint.

What color and what type of finish are you looking for?

Guest Attitude
Painting galvanized is really easy.
Holy Crap, thats easy? Ok guys, see ya in 2 months. lol. jk. That was the best descriptive advice I've gotten. Thanks Cloud. As far as the color on the trailer goes, probably just a simple black with a semi-gloss type look.

I would get the single stage coach black. Should be the cheapest rout. It should be available at any automotive paint store in a kit. Any cheap walmart spray gun should be fine for the job. If you have something better thats great. I assume you have an air compressor?

Oh don't forget your mixing cups, paint paddle,s gloves, eye protection and respirator.

Guest Attitude

Thanks for the input bud. This is a bigger project then I wanted to get into before the boating season and looks like I might have to start this after the season so it doesn't affect my water time. The trailer is not small by any means and I can't do this task in a weekend, Just too much going on.

One more question though...

To get me thru this year and make the trailer look better then it does, what will I get out of just grabbing some acrylic paint that is ok for using on galvanived (compatable with the zinc) and spread it on with a brush? Will it peel off in a week or will it last 6 months? If you tell me that it will last 6 months, I would be more inclined to go that route and spend less then 2 hours on the initial painting then just do touch-ups when needed. The trailer sits in storage for 6 months out of the year and I could easily re-paint it at the beginning of each season. Your thoughts on this...

Cloud, you wouldn't use Galvaprep for prepping and then chem chromic to paint? I am just curious, as the few times we've painted galvanized, that's what we used. Granted chem chromic only comes in two or three colors, if I remember correctly.

I wouldn't brush anything on Attitude. Thats going to make for more work striping it when you really want to do the correct job. Plus it will not make it look much better. The looks of the trailer is actualy superficial since its only purpose it to get the boat to the water.

And Money that galva prep is just an acid coating to maximize paint adhesion. That stuff is in ingredient in the acid etch primer. I like the primer because it can build mill thickness that can be desired if nibing is necessary.

Guest Attitude

Thanks for the advice Cloud, I think I'll have to wait until the season is over to take on this project.

Edited by Attitude