Russian TV Links Modern Warfare 2 To Russian Massacre

• Directors

mwmachina-500x225.jpg

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 may have influenced the deadly attack on Russia’s busiest airport earlier this week, state run news network Russia Today suggests.

RT points out what they say are similarities between the bloody scenes depicted in the No Russian level of 2009′s game with the gruesome reality of yesterday’s attack at Domodedovo International Airport. Thirty-five people were killed and more than 180 injured in the terrorist attack that Russian officials say was a suicide bombing.

In the report, RT points out that the American made video game has earned more than $1 billion in sales worldwide and than you don’t have to own the game to see the No Russian mission, you can also watch it on YouTube.

Walid Phares, Director of Future Terrorism Project at the Foundation for Defense of Democracies, tells the news channel that terrorists may even use the game for training.

“Indeed it is a trouble to look at the game and reality,” he said. “The issue is we need to know if terrorists or extremists are using these videos or DVDs or games to basically apply the model.

“I think those who have been radicalized already – that is supposed in this case jihadists, Al-Qaeda or other kind – they look at the games and say these games will serve them to train,”

Media critic Danny Schechter adds that some video games can influence people.

In the No Russian level, players take on the role of Joseph Allen, who has infiltrated a terrorist group as Alexei Borodin. Borodin and the terrorist group he has infiltrated enter the Zakhaev International Airport and begin to gun down civilians.

gfx.php?type=thumbs&value=0

Score: 0 (0 votes cast)

powered.png

Urgent Fury Command: digg.pngsphinn.png delicious.pngfacebook.png mixx.png googlebookmark.pngblogospherenews.png email_link.pnglinkedin.pnglive.png msnreporter.pngmyspace.png pdf.png twitter.png yahoomyweb.pngyahoobuzz.pngblogplay.png diigo.png dotnetkicks.png friendfeed.png linkagogo.png linkarena.png myshare.png ping.pngyiggit.png addtofavorites.png

More...

• Directors

It does reek of hyperbole. But, to be honest, it ("No Russian") did cross my mind the second I heard about the tragic events in Russia.

In my humble opinion, when something like this happens, the human mind just can't process it completely. So, we search for something to blame it on.

If a kid commits suicide, it must be Marylin Manson's fault, not the kid's mental health or the circumstances in his or her life.

Much like the terrorists attacks on 9/11....some theorists have concocted this massive governmental conspiracy, because they just can't fathom death & destruction of that magnitude, without having a "logical" explanation.

Regardless, it's very sad. My thoughts & prayers are with the victims' families, friends, and anyone effected by this appalling act.

• Directors

It will fuel the fire a bit, but it's really just a matter of cause and effect.

After Columbine, we had metal detectors in schools.

After 9/11, a trip to the airport would never be the same.

But, it's a true paradox. We all want to be safe. We all want security. But we don't want the inconveniences that come along with it.

I honestly don't believe any truly restrictive legislation will ever be passed because of stuff like this.

I mean, you'd have to make a case for life imitating art, and anybody with any common sense, knows that's just not the case.

It would be different if this was a group of well armed domestic terrorists, mowing down folks indiscriminately in a crowded airport.

But, as it stands...this was just a matter of religious radicals doing what they seem to do best...killing innocent people in the name of religion.

Edited by V1P3R_1