Blue Ray VS HD War Update-

• 3 weeks later...
Hannibal. ]

So were are the best places to shop for a 1080p TV.  I want to stay under a 1000 bucks.  I am sure it will be hard to do.  I have a small space in my living room so side should be around 27 inches or so.

Any suggestions would be great.  I want one bad!!!!!!!

Start here to get an idea- Then take these prices to a local retailer to see if they can meet or beat the price.

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_18311901_1/103-4109606-8971008?ie=UTF8&node=13448101&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=gp-left-1&pf_rd_r=1GYQ0PPNTBXND63H7ENT&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=308300901&pf_rd_i=1065836

Chili-Palmer ]
SouthwoodS ]

LOL. I have a ps3 and yet to buy a blu-ray movie because i have no money. I will though buy 300 on blu-ray and many other movies when i get money.

I have a 1080i so it still works out.

Actually it doesn't still work out ..lol

1080i is much different than 1080p

Blu Ray is not worth spending the money on if you dont have a 1080p TV.

I'm not going to commit to either format because i dont want to be that guy with a closet full of discs that dont have a player..

There will be plenty of them, but not me.

I'll wait it out, & once there is a clear winner, then i'll update my library. (besides you ever see the value of a betamax tape ..lol)

Actually....

1080p defined

1080p resolution--which equates to 1,920x1,080 pixels--is the latest HD Holy Grail. That's because 1080p monitors are theoretically capable of displaying every pixel of the highest-resolution HD broadcasts. On paper, they should offer more than twice the resolution of today's 1,280x720, or 720p, HDTVs, such as Samsung's HL-P5085W. Some companies, such as LG, refer to these super-high-res of sets as ultra-HD, while others prefer to substitute true or full for ultra.

Why 1080p is theoretically better than 1080i

1080i, the former king of the HDTV hill, actually boasts an identical 1,920x1,080 resolution but conveys the images in an interlaced format (the i in 1080i). In a tube-based television, otherwise known as a CRT, 1080i sources get "painted" on the screen sequentially: the odd-numbered lines of resolution appear on your screen first, followed by the even-numbered lines--all within 1/30 of a second. Progressive-scan formats such as 480p, 720p, and 1080p convey all of the lines of resolution sequentially in a single pass, which makes for a smoother, cleaner image, especially with sports and other motion-intensive content. As opposed to tubes, microdisplays (DLP, LCoS, and LCD rear-projection) and other fixed-pixel TVs, including plasma and LCD flat-panel, are inherently progressive in nature, so when the incoming source is interlaced, as 1080i is, they convert it to progressive scan for display.

source link http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6361600-1.html

Hanni do you really need to see every pixel? If you do get 1080p or just stay with 1080i. If you have plasma in 1080i it will still be very smooth. LCD though might be a little different when objects move across the screen but it won't be much different. I am staying at 1080i until the price for the Ultra HD goes down. That is ridic. how expensive that is.

Guest Stealthknight

Unless your goin over 40" i wouldnt bother too much with worrying about 1080p. It is a better picture but isnt extremely noticable on a smaller TV. If your using it for a Theater then go for FULL HD at 1080p, If your just looking for a nice picture to play and watch TV on that really smooth then stick with 1080i.

Guest Stealthknight

If you really want 1080p at a cheaper price DLP's are a great way to go, Some people just dont want to give up that much room but the picture is just as good as any i have seen. But yeah if your going for 50" or even 40" and ^ then try for the 1080p. I have 1080i/720p and im perfectly happy w/ my 32" LCD for $649 though.