Dogs attacked my Cat Help with problem

OK this morning about 3am I was waken by a lot of dogs barking and carrying on.

I look out my front door to see several dogs attacking our family cat. I run out there and chased them all off. And my attention then turned to my bleeding cat. I think maybe I should have called the police. Then later about 8am I took the cat to the Vet. It's going to cost about $700 to fix him up. Stiches and cleaning etc. He should be fine.

But man $700....

All day today I had it on my mind that I've seen these dogs before. And suddenly I remembered and so I went by the house and sure enough there they all are inside the peoples house. There inside because I'm sure the owner found out that they out on the way to work. These are big dogs.

So now what should I do? Should I call the police to make a record?

Were talking a $700 Vet bill....

Help what should I do?

As a cat lover and owner i hope yours is ok. I'm thinking it'll be an indoor cat from now on.

I'd make a call to the police department and find out. Not 911 lol But I'm thinking anything, if it were going to be done, needed to be last night. By now they've been cleaned enough to hide the blood. And I'm sure it's not a CSI kinda case.

GL n keep us informed

My question would be- What are the laws where you live? Should the dogs be on a leash or in a yard?

If you call the police be prepared for the dogs to be taken to the pound for observation... I am not sure if you know your neighbors or not- But they most likely care about their dogs as much as you care about your cat.

If it was me I would go to talk to them, see if they are willing to split the bill- If not file a police report and take their ass to small claims court for the full amount.

OK UPDATE....

The owner finally got home. She wasn't home earlier.

But I talked to her and she said she would take care of the Vet bill. iI gave her the Vet. information.

But she did hint at IF her dogs were the ones and she was not sure how they got out.

They were INSIDE the house while she was at work. These are Big Dogs.

Also the Dog that had the cat in it's mouth was White with Black spots. Easy to not forget. And her brown dog tried to rush back at the cat after I was hovering around the cat. I had to chase it on up the street.

I did call the police and they told me to call animal control. I guess it's more of a civil mater.