They hit the nail on the head about the hacked PSN

In really fail to see the logic in some of these posts. One of the most glaring one is the use of "this has been going on forever and cannot be stopped". This one really confuses me. So by your logic, then anything that has a long history should just be ignored? Murder, rape, molestation etc....all of those have been around a lot longer than software and hardware piracy. We have fought that fight forever to no avail, so we should just let it go and turn the other cheek?

I bet you also have an open door policy at your house. You do not lock your doors so that anyone who may feel that you have more than you need, can just walk in and take what they like. That it is your duty to make sure everyone feels welcome to come to your home and help themselves. That you would be selfish and self-serving if you locked the doors trying to protect your property.

You see wealth is relative to each situation and who is doing the evaluating. While you may say, the hell with Sony, they are rich what is a few 100,000 pirated games, the hungry homeless kid on the other side of town who has nothing may say, "the hell with you, what's wrong if I take a few of your games, tv and ps3 to buy food, at least you have a home.

I agree with your analogy Bandit, but that's not what happened here.

GeoHot jailbroke the Playstation 3. Just like he did with the iPhone, but he wasn't sued by Apple. Because the courts ruled he can do what ever he likes with his own personal property. And that's what happened here also.

Now granted, once the PS3 was jailbroke, it obviously opened the doors to piracy on their system. But GoeHot never pirated anything from Sony. Nor did he give instructions on how to pirate games on the PS3. He even said he doesn't support that practice. So for Sony to sue him and then to get search warrants on anyone who viewed how to jailbreak the PS3, well they went to far.

They absolutely have a right to protect their property, everyone does. But they trained their gun sights on the wrong person. Now if GeoHot jailbroke the PS3 and then showed that he pirated games, hence stole from Sony, then they have every right to protect their property. But again, that isn't what happened.

Everyone has a right to do with whatever they want with their own property. Including the PS3. As long as it is legal. And from what I seen, nothing illegal happened when the PS3 was jailbroke. Sure it pretty much gave criminals the blue prints on how to pirate game, but then go after the criminals. Just like Apple does, just like Microsoft does with the XBOX, and I'm sure Nintendo does with the Wii.

And don't get me wrong. I hate the fact that GeoHot did what he did. It just makes my online experience open to cheaters and hackers. But he didn't break any laws.

Because if memory serves me correctly, they always said their PS3 couldn't be cracked. Well, someone did, and proved them wrong. He pissed Sony off, and they wanted retribution.

And now we, the gamers, are paying for that retribution. They should have just strengthened their secruity on the PSN to now watch for more piracy. Just like your analogies.

I'm most angry with the hackers. I don't know who or what group it was but if you want to make Sony suffer there are millions of ways to do it without punishing the average gamer. I could care less about Sony but why punish us all. At this point I just want Sony to take their time and get the network rebuilt securely so this doesn't happen again. This does suck bad, it throws off my 3 madden leagues, playing socom with the clan, and nhl with the club, but there was a time when most of us played games only offline. I'm using this time to get back to the old school. NES, Sega, and ps2 time. Stay thirsty my friends.

So I Irish you say he never pirated anything? You know this for a fact? That however is neither here nor there. So if you yourself were well of and had to protect your fortunes, you invest in a state of the art security system. The company that you hire states it can never be hacked and then some piece of shit decides he has to prove a point as he felt challenged. He then works and is able to hack your system and then posts on the net how to get into your home and you keep getting burglarized. You do not think the individual who told them how to get into your non hackable security system should share any responsibility in what happens to you?

If this kid done nothing wrong and nothing illegal then why would there be a settlement? This kid would of stuck to his guns and said no. I guarantee it would of not cost him a dime in legal fees to fight this. The ACLU and every other liberal organization who look to exploit everyone at the chance of making a name for themselves would of assisted him Pro-Bono.

You also have to look at the mentality of these people. As soon as Sony realized there may be an issue with Linux on their system, they removed it. What happened. It pissed people of. The hacker went to work to not only bash Sony but crack the PS3. Sony did not sue just because he broke in, they sued for his action of posting proprietary information. Yes the Apple case was lost. They said you can do whatever to your own phone. This however affects others. It was Geo's posting of his hack which has allowed the PSN to be hacked. That affects everyone else. So it is not exactly like the iPhone case where if I jail break my phone it will affect another individuals rights to service or quality of service.

Next all these people do is make the price of products go up. The price of a product is just not cost of materials and labor. There is a ton of R&D as well as many behind the scenes cost related to product liability and security. All of these costs are then absorbed by the customer and here we are bitching about the price of these things, yet we support piracy, jail breaking and such.

It is like one time I was talking to a buddy of mine about home insurance and he was so pissed about how high his premiums were, yet he then goes on to tell me, "well now I don't feel so bad for the times a screwed them on claims. Another individual who doesn't not only see the big picture, but thinks sticking it to the man will actually benefit him.

Edited by Bandit99

copied from

----------------------------------------

Ok, I've seen a bunch of speculation of why people think PSN is down, and I thought I should just post what the community knows in comparison to what Sony is telling everyone. The truth is, there was a new CFW (custom firmware) released known as Rebug (http://rebug.me). It essentially turns a retail console into a dev console (not fully, but gives you a lot of the same options that usually dev's only have access to). Anyway, this new CFW was quickly figured out to give CFW users access to the PSN network again via the dev networks. With a little manipulation of the URL's through a proxy server you could get your hacked console back online. Not that big of a deal, right? Well, it also turns out that some people over at NGU found out that you could provide fake CC# info and the authenticity of the information was never checked as you were on Sony's private developer PSN network (essentially a network that Sony trusted). What happened next was extreme piracy of PSN content. Sony realizing the issue here shut down the network. Now, before you go freaking out about the latest information posted about Kotaku, no ones personal information was accessible via this hack. Not to say they couldn't get it, but no one is admitting to it being available. Anyway, that's the real reason for the PSN downtime. Sony is now rebuilding all of it's PSN servers to be more secure and (hopefully) make sure the CFW users cannot get online anymore.

Edit #1: To those of you saying that this is speculation, you are correct. But, it is speculation based on a lot of facts and the outcome seems to make the most sense.

1. Rebug was released on 3/31/11.

2. First guides of how to use the dev network to get back on COD games on 4/3/11. 3. Word of "shady" sites finding a way to pirate PSN content via the dev networks on 4/7/11 (basing this on posts I had to delete on the website). 4. PSN goes down on 4/20/11

Now, you can believe Sony's PR team which has kept you completely in the dark, or you can see the list of events above and come to your own conclusion. Now, this isn't the first time Sony has fought back against the PS3 modders from getting on PSN. A couple of months ago we had a utility called f*ckPSN that changed the necessary header information that was being sent to Sony to allow modified consoles back online. We were able to use it for about a month. Then came the new TOS, the mass e-mail to PS3 customers, and software update 3.56 and 3.60. So, once again, yes this is all speculation, but it is speculation based on previous actions and known facts.

Edit #2: Mathieulh just mentioned that he has been in contact with someone that has official access to the SCE devnet servers and it was posted to them today that only 3.60+ debug firmwares will be allowed on the dev network anymore. All earlier versions will be cut. If you want to retain your access you need to contact Sony and upgrade to 3.60 debug firmware.